drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:12 PM

I am not happy with the way the drive belts work on my homemade tractor and wanting to go in a different direction,but do not know which way.In the pictures the pedal pulls up a roller that tightens the belts but when it is released the drive chain to transmission will not stop,I would like to do a different setup all together.The more ideas the better. Thanks,006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG Don

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:10 PM

hydraulic drive...

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:37 PM

I see that on one side you have a belt stop sticking out. What you need is a flat guide on both sides of the belt that runs from one pulley all the way to the other pulley at their mid-points. These flat guides need to be within 1/8 to 3/16" from the belt when in the tightened position. This way when you push the clutch in, the flat guides rub the belt & they can't bow outwards, which causes them to drag the pulleys.
I can't get a good look at the system that tightens the belt, but if it was/is a idler pulley, then on that side you would have to drop the flat guide, but limit the slack of the idler to the same distance the flat guide would be placed away from the "tightened" position.
  • drbish said thank you

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just like Dan said you need to keep the belt from bowing out.If you look at any belt drive clutch systems you'll see many different set ups but they all keep the belt from bowing or spreading when the tension on the belt is released,Larry
  • drbish said thank you

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Like the others have said, the centrifugal force is causing the center of the belt to fly outward, in essence maintaining the belt tension on the driven pulley. Wheel horse used a simple bracket mounted to the stationary part of the pulley shaft that actually engages the backside of the belt to stop it from rotating when the clutch pedal is depressed. I looked for a picture, but couldn't locate one. I'll see if I can scare one up tomorrow.
  • drbish said thank you