• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 03:45 PM

With heading off on a 10hr round trip Saturday to fetch the Bush Hog tractor, I figured it was time to service my trailer. Inside bed area is 5'+ wide x 9' long. As trailer tires go, usually when you need them, the tires are dry rotted. So my trailer fit the norm perfectly. My BIL offered without my asking, his trailer, knowing I don't trust my tires. I'm not much on borrowing, plus his trailer is heavier & harder to stop in a panic situation. So, off to local tire shops searching for tires. Found a set of almost new tires specifically for trailers for just $20 each. So came home & mounted them, with new stems. I have a complete spare hub/bearing/stub axle assembly, so I welded on a bracket to bolt the axle & hub to the trailer side, then bolt up the spare to it. No need to search for where I tossed the hub when taking on a journey now. Repacked the spare hub's bearings too. I built the trailer with rear axle from a Dodge Caravan specifically to have bolt-on hubs, just in case.
DSC00237.jpg

The tailgate locks level to bed, or free to fall to the ground. Locking it even to the bed allows for loading without bottoming a deck like ramps cause. Then it locks in the upright position. The locking mechanisms came off a Sears Suburban SS mower deck mounts.
DSC00239.jpg

I also fixed the front to auto lock when driving anything up the trailer. When the bed comes down in front, a spring loaded locking pin locks it in place. Then I have a pin through the tongue for positive lock while towing. I forgot to take a pic of the auto-lock. Here's the whole thing. Paint has faded & chipped.....TSC enamel you understand.
DSC00240.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00238.jpg

#2 SandburRanch OFFLINE  

SandburRanch

• Member No: 835
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 05:48 PM

Was reading with interest your trailer tune up and lost the post completely when trying to back browse from a pic. Now I have finally found it again by seeing your pic in the right hand column on some page. I have no idea what that's all about. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to navigate. It's not looking too promising.:wallbanging:

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 05:56 PM

SandburRanch,
You will pick up on it,no one was any more computer challenged than me and I can find my way around with no problem now.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 06:01 PM

Daniel I must say,I like that tailgate hinge/lock pin idea.

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 09:11 PM

That's a great idea on that tailgate, Daniel. I recognized those Sears locking pins!

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 - 08:42 AM

Being several found my tailgate interesting, I took a pic of my auto-lock system on the tilt bed. I built the auto-lock to prevent accidental rollbacks. Many of you may have done the same as me...driven a tractor up onto trailer, then get off & step too far to the rear, only to have the trailer tilt back on you. Not a biggy unless you forgot to put the tractor in park. With this it doesn't matter, it's locked down. The locking pin is spring loaded, plus there is a handle to disengage it for unloading a tractor or whatever. You might notice I recycle a lot. The tailgate used the Sears quick brackets, while this tilt setup has springs from mowers, the handle is off an MTD rider, and the clip spring holding the "through the tongue" lock pin is a deck arm retainer spring off a Massey MF1650. The main auto locking pin spring is a valve spring from a Briggs.

DSC00241.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00242.jpg

#7 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 - 09:28 AM

I think "recycling" is something farmers do a lot of. I know my grandpa did. He didn't have much but he made what he had work.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 - 10:22 AM

Your "auto-lock" system is also a good idea.

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 - 10:26 PM

That tilt lock is a good idea. I took one of them "wild rides" one time, but it wasn't on a tilt bed. I was backing a mower off the trailer and it wasn't locked onto the ball hitch. What a surprise!

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 07:55 AM

Nice job on the trailer and recycling Daniel! You would have done well on " Junkyard Wars "!!!!