• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 03:31 PM

This year I'm on the local tomato harvest crew. There are about 7-8 people on the picker itself, plus three operating tractors( Picker, dump carts or dolly and disk.) The tractors consit of a JD 7520 MFWD on picker, CaseIH MX100c & JD 7130 or McCormick MTX135 on dump carts. CaseIH MX150 on the dolly and a new CaseIH Puma 145 on the CaseIH 340 disk. The tomatoes are loaded into the trailers and then taken to a local processing plant to be made into ketchup or whatever else( Not the greatest to eat as is.) Enough blabbering and onto the pics. They kinda came out crappy, will try to gt more but no promises. On the first day I was there a spindle broke, :wallbanging: (which is why a wheel is laying on the ground in one pic and just on Monday a belt broke, which got fixed soon :wallbanging: . Don't mind the time stamps I think they're incorrect anyway. ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 013.JPG
  • 014.JPG
  • 015.JPG
  • 016.JPG
  • 017.JPG
  • 018.JPG

• daytime dave said thank you

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 04:20 PM

That sure is a lot of tomatoes. Too bad about the spindle. Thanks for posting the photographs.

#3 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks Dave, This is only a handful of tomatoes (so to speak) there are many more acres to do. Just got back from a short 5 hour shift of picking but found they weren't quite ripe enough. We were picking more rocks and green ones than tomatoes. :mellow: . Glad it ended soon though. It was starting to get miserable form all the heat. When that happens you can get sick and that ain't good. :puke2:

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 03:11 PM

When I was a young kid, my Dad's best friend Stuart had an asperagus and tomato farm. I went with him once when he took a truck load of tomatoes to Chicago to the Campbells plant. They were supposed to be used for soup, but if the line was backed up at the plant and they sat too long, they would turn green with mold and drippy. Then they got used for ketchup. A little food coloring fixes 'em right up!!!

#5 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Well, yesterday a hydruailic went out for the cutter wheels so we got moving today again. We finished that field and were on to the next. It was very dusty covering me and the other guys in dirt and gunk from the tomatoes. Kinda makes ya feel like crap, but its all worth it. We managed to fill the four trailers today and tommorrow, hopefully another four. Done at 6:30 today which was nice, a bit earlier than long days.