• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:03 PM

I do. 1. Im a big homestead/survivalist/recycle kinda guy. 2. I have a low paying job. With those 2 things I have been looking for cheaper building materials. The first few pictures are a run in shed I build from rail road ties. The second set is a duck house im working on out of pallets. The roof of the run in shed will also be pallets for the framing. Ive been working on making wood shingles as well. Its hard and time consuming but thats what im into. On a side note I read that something like 40% of all hardwood harvested goes into pallets. I dont resale them so I dont need the 48x48s or the 40x48s. There are alot of random pallets out there that end up in the dump.

My skills are not great but the concept is neat.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0024.jpg
  • IMAG0025.jpg
  • IMAG0026.jpg
  • IMAG0027.jpg
  • IMAG0028.jpg
  • IMAG0029.jpg
  • IMAG0031.jpg

• daytime dave, Newpaws493 and Arti have said thanks

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:11 PM

Works for me :thumbs:
I saw someone that build a really nice cabin out of wood shipping container's for the cost of gas to get them.

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:15 PM

With the ties it was gas/diesel/my brother and a days labor lol. They are heavy.

As far as pallet structures... There are several that are incredible. Im starting small with a duck house and plan on building another good size shop at some point.

Attached Thumbnails

• copied (20).jpg
  • copied (21).jpg

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:20 PM

pallets are really hard to come by in my town. There is a business in town that builds ansd sells them. They have contracts with all their customers to pick up any extras and that includes the broken ones. The broken ones and those not repairable go through a grinder and are sold as mulch. they sell natural and several colors of dyed mulch. They have what looks like a Tub Grinder and then all the mulch runs over a conveyer with magnets that strains out all the metal.

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,149 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Recently watched about 7 or more tube vids on pallet structures, seems like quality building materials, almost free If one has the time and handyhands. thanks for sharing

#6 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 11:43 PM

LOVE the RR tie building!!!

Back in the '70's on the job I got a call to a house where the owner worked for a big electric company (Con Edison). He had dismantled a s***load of pallets and finished his whole basement with them as panelling. All he had done was buzz them with the grain with a rough belt sander and then sealed them with varnish(?). They were run @ a 45º angle and really looked great. Nothing wrong with re-use at all! Which is why every available corner of my world is piled with "...thingsI could use.... someday." I got that from my Mother who lived through the Great Depression on a farm where everybody reused everything they could.:D

#7 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,380 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 11:48 PM

Recycling is always the right way :thumbs: But attention using wooden railroad ties, they are often contaminated with tar pitch.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 04:16 AM

Good job on the recycling!
I once built a small shed using pallets for the floor...worked good.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 04:34 AM

Good job. I have seen little sheds and so on built from old pallets before.

#10 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 05:59 AM

they are often contaminated with tar pitch.

Kreasol I think is how you spell it. Nasty shuff that gives you nice chemical burns, but hey it won't rot. Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Sent using Droid.
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,694 Thanks
  • 28,341 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:39 AM

I'm a big proponent of reuse, repurpose. It takes more time, but that's why it's cheaper.
My daughter's room was framed with used lumber, I have a shed that the main frame is a cut down version of a wind damaged pipe tent frame. I may be getting a chance at some exterior doors next spring.
The pallets we get usually have those twist nails, almost impossible to get apart without cracking something.

#12 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Almost all the ones I've gotten use those twisted nails. I've had great luck taking them apart. Now most of the pallets I've gotten are like new. The old ones are a pain in the butt.

Sent using Droid.

#13 jms180 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 860 Thanks
  • 1,157 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:23 AM

its great to see someone recycle and not send to dump.

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,473 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:24 AM

I remember back in the 70s reading a story about a guy who would buying 2x4s, for cheap, from the mill that were shorts/cut offs. He stacked and nailed them into solid 3 1/2" walls for a house! Nowadays, those cut offs are chipped up and used for particle board.

#15 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:54 AM

I think the re-use / re- purpose concept you have there for the sheds and buildings is great. Another idea : Compost bins out of pallets work rather well , my brothers has lasted 5 years now, and looks like it will go 5 more easily.

At my last home, I built a 8' x 42" shed on pallets, and all the framing and related materials were just stuff I had in the " re- use" stockpile. Being a remodeling contractor for the last 20 years , my " pile " is rather extensive and I just love doing a project outta scrap. Heck, I live in a re- worked home that many people would have just knocked over and started new.