23 replies to this topic

#1 cadman56 OFFLINE  

cadman56
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9861
  • 31 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Nothing earth shattering, just a little project I worked on recently that I thought some of you might be interested in. I currently have two 50 gal rain barrels. I use the rain water to water flowers and garden. So I thought I would add a tank to store more rain water. I got one of those 450 gal totes but I wanted to elevate it so I could put a water bucket under the spout. I thought about what I wanted to use for the stand. I didn't want to go with wood so I decided to use 6"x48" lintels stacked 2 high for the sides and 6" solid block for the front and back. I wanted to fill the center up with something because I didn't want any critters crawling in there and make a nest under the tank. So, I built the blocks up then filled the center with 2 layers of old brick that I used when I built my "barn" and filled the holes in the brick and the voids between the brick with sand. I was going to buy landscape stone to finish it off, but got an idea to kill two birds with one stone, (no pun intended). I had a lot of stones in my garden, so I thought why not make a sieve and get the rocks out of the garden. So that is what I did. Took a little time to do this but I think garden stones look good. I have to think how I want to hook the down spout into the big tank. I want to have it ready for next spring so I have some time to work it out. Here are some pics of the project. Getting site ready: IMG_0059.jpg Brick and sand fill. IMG_0066.jpg Sieve and front end loader. IMG_0079.jpg Sieve in action. IMG_0082.jpg All filled up. IMG_0083.jpg Tank on stand. IMG_0088.jpg Finished for now. IMG_0089.jpg
  • KennyP, HDWildBill, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Looks very nice, neat, sturdy and functional. Having the spout raised like that is a great idea.

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Nice - I plan on getting on of these and have been thinking of a way to make a nice stand. This looks really nice. I think I may steal the idea. I love the sink outside, also another idea I may take lol.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:50 PM

What a great idea. After it rains how do you control Mosquito's?

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 11:34 PM

Nicely done project!! Plenty of water in there.

My store bought rain barrel has a spigot at the bottom which never works. The stuff from the roof simply clogs it and it has to be snaked with a wire to get any water. The 2 home made barrels get dipped from the top with a spout water can that I put screen over the fill hole. That way I can use the sprinkle head without it getting full of pine/maple/oak junk that floats on the water. Darn trees, shade isn't all they put out!:D

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 12:23 AM

Good idea and good work :thumbs: But I think, your profession is not bricklayer... :confuse:

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 04:25 AM

Nice set up. Some how, I would put a way to flush the crud from the gutters so it doesn't fill the tank. It would be darned hard to get out of it. Another option might be to raise the existing barrel so about a third of it is above the tank. Run a larger pipe from it to the big tank.Put a screen over the inlet of it. That way, most of the crud gets dropped into the smaller barrel and can be cleaned easier. Just a thought.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 04:26 AM

That looks good.Nice work.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Looks great! I did something similar a couple of years ago. I wanted the spout high enough that I could drive under it and fill up a barrel so I built the base out of treated lumber. Worked out really well. Someone asked about mosquito's. Being that it's all enclosed, mosquito's are not really an issue. I took a half inch drill and put about 6 overflow holes along the top side and that works great. The only problem I have is that if the water sits long enough and catches sun, it turns green. It's not a real problem though because the plants don't mind and when I drain it at the end of the season (I always drain the tank and leave the valve open for the winter) I can fit a broom down through the top opening and sweep the green off the sides so it's as good as new for next season. This tank really saved our garden this summer when it got really dry. Yours looks a lot better than mine but I've posted a picture of mine to give other ideas for a base. I have pics of just the base should anyone want to see them. It's not done in this picture but I think you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2445.JPG

Edited by David Brown, August 22, 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 05:55 AM

That's pretty much the stand I have in mind if I ever get around to building mine, David. I haven't been able to find an old chem cube for free though.

#11 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:52 AM

I've never found then free either, at least not in good enough shape to use. There is a store here that sells them like new for 75$.

Sent using Droid.

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 05:44 PM

There is a guy here who sells the totes for $55. I got my E-tank from him. I may get another one for rainwater eventually.

#13 cadman56 OFFLINE  

cadman56
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9861
  • 31 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Glad you guys liked my project and got some ideas from it. I enjoy looking at others projects so I thought I'd post my latest one.

What a great idea. After it rains how do you control Mosquito's?

The rain barrels I have now were food grade barrels. The tops are like Ball canning jars. They have a threaded ring and a solid insert. When I put the barrels online in the spring I remove the solid insert, put a piece of fiberglass screen over the top of the barrel and then thread the ring on. This screens out any debris that comes along with the water and keeps the bugs out. I've attached a couple of pics of my setup.

Nicely done project!! Plenty of water in there.

My store bought rain barrel has a spigot at the bottom which never works. The stuff from the roof simply clogs it and it has to be snaked with a wire to get any water. The 2 home made barrels get dipped from the top with a spout water can that I put screen over the fill hole. That way I can use the sprinkle head without it getting full of pine/maple/oak junk that floats on the water. Darn trees, shade isn't all they put out! :D

Hydro - does yours have a multi-turn globe or gate valve on it? Maybe if you installed a full port ball valve it would help??

Good idea and good work :thumbs: But I think, your profession is not bricklayer... :confuse:

LOL..... nope. When it came to those jobs I did the grunt work!!! Mechanical Designer by trade.

Looks great! I did something similar a couple of years ago. I wanted the spout high enough that I could drive under it and fill up a barrel so I built the base out of treated lumber. Worked out really well. Someone asked about mosquito's. Being that it's all enclosed, mosquito's are not really an issue. I took a half inch drill and put about 6 overflow holes along the top side and that works great. The only problem I have is that if the water sits long enough and catches sun, it turns green. It's not a real problem though because the plants don't mind and when I drain it at the end of the season (I always drain the tank and leave the valve open for the winter) I can fit a broom down through the top opening and sweep the green off the sides so it's as good as new for next season. This tank really saved our garden this summer when it got really dry. Yours looks a lot better than mine but I've posted a picture of mine to give other ideas for a base. I have pics of just the base should anyone want to see them. It's not done in this picture but I think you get the idea.

Dave - nice stand. If I had to go higher I would have made mine out of wood like yours. We get dry spells here in the summer also. That's why I wanted more capacity. I think with this tank I should be good to go. Also, some where I read or heard, that with those translucent water tanks or barrels, the water will turn green if exposed to sunlight. So I was thinking of maybe putting a piece of 1" wide blue painters tape vertically on the front of the tank then spraying the tank a dark color to block out the sun. I would then remove the tape so it would have then same affect as an oil bottle. You could still see the water level. The down side of this would be that you wouldn't be able to see the condition of the inside of the tank. Well, maybe if you had bright flashlight you could. And I'm not sure having green water is a bad thing. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? Here are a couple more pics of my current rain barrels. These were black "pickle" barrels. I wanted to dress them up a little so I put 2" wide tape horizontally around the barrel and then put 1/8" wide tape vertically at various widths. I then painted the barrel brown and then removed all the tape to simulate a wooden rain barrel. IMG_0091.jpg IMG_0092.jpg IMG_0093.jpg
  • Alc, HDWildBill and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#14 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 11:38 PM

"Hydro - does yours have a multi-turn globe or gate valve on it? Maybe if you installed a full port ball valve it would help??"

Multi-turn w/washer is what's there. Most of the problem (I believe) is the gunke' collects ahead of the valve in the neck where it screws in. However, a ball valve would make it easy to snake out... I'll have to refit it for next season and give it a try. "Tune in next year, Folks....":D

#15 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 12:35 AM

The only problem I have is that if the water sits long enough and catches sun, it turns green.

I thought of that too. I decided to use steel 250 fuel oil barrels instead of plastic ones. Got them all (3 of them) tied together on the end of my barn. Kinda nice they hold about 770 gallons and take about a 1 1/2 in of rain to fill up, but with the summer we've had here it isn't enough. Got a old cistern (spelling) in the barn and looks like it'll hold a few thousand gallons, just need to connect the down spout again. Way I look at it you can never have enough water on hand. I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the barrels.