Garden Tractor Forums banner

Portland 2012

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  twostep 
#1 ·
2nd day at show, opens tommorrow. Lots of lookers today though. I found couple of Wheelhorse I might buy, one's a GT14. Pretty rough, but I wanna try one of those bigger rigs. It does not have the plastic gas tank/grill in it now. Some homemade one in place. Fella had one to show me, but he says hard to find and he just got it for his at home. Anyone here have one or know of any?
Saw this odd Studebaker/GMC truck there and got a quick shot or two. That was special. AND, how about this old beater on trailer? Homemade? Looks like it was but quite a long time ago.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well FWIW I am going Friday if anyone wants to touch bases give me a holler...and Grumpy...if it is for sale...it is in Portland. Steve Guider told me about the show last year we went and had a blast...Couldn't wait for a 'repeat' this is the 'show of shows'...for GT guys...

#4 ·
Check out this steel wheel speedex! Factory or homemade wheels in back and cart wheels in front? Pretty rusty, probly not orig engine, which is stuck and won't slide either. They want $200 for it! Should I buy it? Pretty crude rigs, not even sure it had brakes? Think is early S series, looks like that hood and lay-out anyway.

Attachments

#14 ·
GL. I think I'd save my money on this one. The rear wheels look to be from a rototiller and the front wheels look llike bewlt pulleys. Definately not original and pretty sad shape. The seller owns a scrap yard and I'n sure this is a 10 cent a pound item. Got to give him credit for trying to save it though.

#5 ·
Is it surprising to anyone that the trading post isnt in operation? I know the 2 directors that ran it for over 10 years and it make the club over $ 10K a year. Thats $100K in sales in 4 &1/2 days

Not to bad for a quick cash cow to the club.
But then they turned it over to a couple of women who didnt want to work it, and over charged for the sale tickets and also limited the number of items one could sell. Oh well sour grapes some would say but others would also see mis management.
I havent been there in 5 years and wont go back until they get directors who want to work, and officers who truly appreciate volunteers.

If you are in the east end tell Carl Hidigger (director) hello from a past volunteer. A true gentleman and considerate person

#7 ·
One of our tractor friends said it has gone down hill a little since the women were put in charge...

#6 ·
I have never been to this show . But I am looking to buy an old garden tractor. This show is about a 2 hour drive from my house. Do you guys think it would be worth the drive for me to check it out ? What day would be best Friday or Sat? Is there a lot for sale ? Thanks..
Jack..

#9 ·
4th day, Thursday, pretty good crowd again. gotta watch the carts and butt buggies for sure. Spent quite a bit today on wheelhorse stuff mostly and some tires. Fun when you have money! I bought that GT14 and dragged it over to our "zone". Pretty rough! Got the three point for it, minus the lift links. Darn thing cost as much as the tractor!! Here's pix. Check out the front.....is that breasts or a Butt? Sorry for naughty words! ha!

Attachments

#10 ·
The old 'girl' looks 'healthy' to me!

#12 ·
I will be there Saturday. Maybe I will catch some of you guys.

#15 ·
Tractor sold today, same guy who bought my Speedex. Said he paid $180 for it!! I found running model just like it, really nice for $200 and someone drove by with that today too. Sold one of my MM engines finally, freind sold his G Allis. No buyers on my two molines, but more lookers today. Kinda scary how many were packing and leaving today. Some right behind us and one side and many others pulling out. Sat isn't day it used to be I guess. Was one of my better years of selling items tho, and buying a few too,ha! Got this sleeve hitch for a Sears for $25. Not sure why, just want to have one in case I want to try on some tractor someday. Got couple wheels for $1 each, heavy, but not sure what for. didn't need them either, just cheap and neat. Anyone know what these might be from? Have some type of ratchet or locking device on the inside.

Attachments

#17 ·
Well I went there today. All I can say is WoW ! It was much more than I was expecting. I took my wife with me and hard a hard time getting her away from the antique glass sellers. I also learned that it is a must to have something to ride around on. Between the heat and my worn out knees I didnt even get to scratch the surface. I was worn out by the time I even found where the stuff for sale was at. There is so much to see that it would take days to make a dent in it. I did find a nice AC B10 with a deck, blade , and a tiller that I thought about making an offer on but I didnt. So I came home with an emprty trailer. I will have to go back with something to ride on next time to really enjoy all the show has to offer. At least now I know what to expect and how to prepare. To anyone who hasent been to this show you dont know what your missing ! I wonder how the swap meet compairs to this show ?

Jack..

#18 ·
Spring swap is big, but accross street where the campers were at during show. There is also a fall one coming in OCT, but not as big, but still worth a trip. Lots depends on weather. I was there today, Sat, and wow, lots of vendors were gone and all packing by afternoon, including us. My partner left about 1:00, after we loaded stuff up on trailers, but me and wife and G-daughter stayed awhile longer and looked around some in barns. Odd part is we sold some stuff AFTER we loaded it, and had to take off again! Lots of people looked at GT14 I bought and wanted to buy. Finally had to put a NOT for Sale sign on it. Didn't sell my MM's today either. Picked up my Gas tank/grill today and few trinket things. Pretty wore out from week, glad it's over. about 3 days is good to me, the rest of week gives you a "burn-out", specially if not selling much. We did pretty good this year tho, was one of better ones.

#19 ·
I was there today with my 2 little ones. This is our first year. It was like heaven in the fairgrounds. I spent half the day walking the swap meet. Got a great deal on a snow blade. I brought my Springfield deck with me hoping to sell it but kinda forgot about it after walking in. Although next time I'm definitely bringing at least one tractor and trailer to drive around. Also may think about camping since its 2 hours away and it takes at least 2 days to take it all in. I was told it is a huge show. That's an understatement.

#21 ·
...Although next time I'm definitely bringing at least one tractor and trailer to drive around. Also may think about camping since its 2 hours away and it takes at least 2 days to take it all in.
I stopped at fleamarket Saturday and was looking at a couple of items and someone told me about this show... needless to say I'm thinking of plans for next year... So a small rider with a garden trailer for hauling the parts, kids and cooler is acceptable? how about a golf cart? Also what about camping, is that something you have to reserve in advance or first come first serve?

#20 ·
my uncle tom was one of the founders of the portland show. he passed earlier this year but his son, my cousin has his tractors there. wish i was closer so we could go but life is that way at times.
here is a pic my cousin posted from this year
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

this is his plymouth and binder
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

and one from 2009
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got back home Sunday evening. Guess I'm one of the die hards that hate to leave. I was out there for 8 days and still didn't get to see it all. The rules for riding carts are changing slightly for next year. All ATV style vehicles are banned. Gator style vehicles are limited to 62 inch width. Golf carts and garden tractors are permitted but the trailer can't be wider than the pulling vehicle. (within reason)There is a $10 riding pass required. Camping is $10 a night plus a $10 dollar campgound fee for non-exhibitors. Exhibitors just pay the $10 fee to camp the whole show. The fee helps offset the cost to maintain the 2 shower house/restrooms in the campgrounds. They are always kept nice. This year the campgounds opened on 8/11 at 7:00 AM. Unless you are lucky enough to get a spot saved by a director, you have to go get in line and save your spot on a first come basis. If you don't need r care about electric service you can get a spot to camp about anytime. I heard they were almost 200 campers down this year. The days to be in the swap area are Wed, Thurs, and Friday. Friday night starts the mass exodus and by Saturday afternoon its looking bare. The ones left Sunday are the real die hards. This was my 38th year there and I'm already counting the days to my 39th!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.