• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 05:06 AM

Congratulations Ryan! This sounds like a great opportunity. You can certainly make a great living doing excavating work. In the tar sands area of Alberta equipment operators are easily making over 100K/yr. One piece of advice I can offer is to finish high school before starting to work full time.
  • twostep said thank you

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Congrats, Ryan. Running equipment will allow you to work in a variety of industries and even if you move into a different field, it will give you something to fall back on. Brian is right though...make sure you finish high school. Also, if at all possible, learn how to drive truck so you can haul equipment as well as run it. A lot of employers are short of drivers when it comes time to get to the job site.

And for my work advice: Show Up. A lot of guys don't, and a lot more show up physically but not mentally. Be there, thinking and ready to work, every day and you'll do well.

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 06:03 AM

That is really some excellent news! I don't have to tell you to do your best as I can tell that comes naturally for you. I hope you realize just how blessed you are for this opportunity. Not every young man gets an oppotunity like this... just those who really deserve it. You may have to put a lot of shovel time in before you get to that machine. My wife always says "bloom where you are planted". Good luck to you!

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,653 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Congrats, Ryan. Sounds like a great opportunity. Just remember when digging ditches to watch form buried cables and such. I was good enough at one time I could 'feel' a small buried cable like a home tv line. It's also good to learn to put 'fall' in the ditch for the sewer lines. Another thing is to always be there on time, never late.
Lots of good advice here already. Have fun and good luck!

#20 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 12:48 PM

Congrat's Ryan and I second that there is a LOT of great advice in this thread. I wish that I would have learned to operate heavy machinery when I was younger...

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks everybody! Harry only lives right down the road from me, less then two miles. But, the town is redoing a bridge and the detour makes it about 5 miles. The bridge will need to be done soon, school is going to start. So, he will pick me up before work, kinda hard to get in trouble for being late when he has to take me. LOL!

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,653 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 01:21 PM

At least until you a driving your self. Enjoy the job and have a great time learning. Remember, if you have to start at the bottom, so has every one else at some point.

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Talked to Harry, he said he is going to get me in the mini for a few hours over the course of the weekend, so he knows that it will still have all of the lights when he gets it back. Then after that job he will bring it over to my house!

#24 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Great news. Make sure you do a good job and desire the moving up part.

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,694 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ryan, since you're still in school, I can't emphasize this enough: Math, Math, Math. Take it. Do it. Learn it. Do it again if you have to.

Simple mathematical errors cost money in the industry. Heck, it can cost you a job if you're doing the bidding. But little things to start off with. Figuring grade. Calculating yardage. Very important stuff these days, with concrete over $120 a yard.

Oh, don't fall for 'the tape measure is broken, they left off two inches!' trick. Elevations are measured in hundredths of a foot, not inches.

Posted Image

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Well, yesterday Harry told me he would pick me up at 6:30, I was expecting him at 6:15 or so. Seven o'clock rolls around so I called him, and he thought he told me he would pick me up at 7:30! So, I waited around until 8, I was going to call him and he said that the road was closed off for an accident.

The rest of the day was not bad, we got to the job at about 8:15 and I just got home. But, Harry knows the homeowners and they made us lunch, and they ordered food, and the four of us working stayed for dinner. Harry is going to pay me for the entire 15 hours I was not home. But, take away all the time standing around, horsing around, watching, waiting, dinner, a few short breaks, it was only about 10-12 hours of working.

Unfortunately, I did not get much seat time, other then moving the mini, and the dozer around a few times. I know Harry wanted to get me in it, but we planned to get it all leveled off and raked out, then also seed and hay it. But the backyard took longer then expected. We have 5-6 yard pile in the front that needs to be leveled and another 5 yards to put down in another section of the back yard.Then seed and hay it. During the week Harry has to put in a catch basin and run about 50 feet of pipe through the neighbors driveway and yard to their catch basin. Not sure if I will be there for that or not.

#27 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Ryan,
Great to hear you are working at something you enjoy doing which will make the day go faster.

One word of advice though don't try to learn too fast, take the time to learn each and every step of the job you are being trained on so when you have to do it on your own you get it right the first time. Nothing worse than holding up a job because you or someone else has to correct your mistakes.

Well just one more tid-bit, if you get to use the company's equipment on your personal jobs use it with extreme caution and care for it well since if you break it and the piece isn't ready for use on company projects when it is needed it will make you look like the culprit.
  • caseguy said thank you

#28 JeffinIA OFFLINE  

JeffinIA

• Member No: 6212
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:20 AM

This is great advice and the reason I quit barrowing years ago. Seems every time I barrowed, something broke and its hard to make anyone beleive it wasn't missused

#29 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Ryan, I missed this great news when it came out. You have definitely gotten a nice break there.

Good advice has been flowing well here. Especially about focusing on math.

I hope you make plenty of money and work hard and advance.

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Today started out with going to run some errands and look at a loader I was interested in. We got back almost at around 11 and the dozer was already loaded up and taken away. While we where gone Harry had, Freddy, try to do some work with the mini and he gave up and nothing looked much different then when we left. We finished the front yard, seeded and hayed it. Then did some in the back yard. There are a few hours left tomorrow to do.

Edited by Ryan313, August 26, 2012 - 08:58 PM.