• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 08:16 PM

A family friend Harry, (same one who helped me with the block adapters for the '71) was at my house today. Yesterday he told me he bought a little 5 ton mini excavator and he pointed it out to me as we drove by the place he bought it from. Today while he was at my house he was having a few other guys pick it up. He got a call, he hung up and asked if I was doing anything, I said no and he asked if I wanted to go play with the excavator. Of course I said, yes!

We went and another guy Ed was playing with it. After he was done I got in and started to play around in the rock pile. It is a great little machine, lots of power and very responsive, it has a thumb and you can select John Deere or Cat controls, it just needs some tune up. I played around and before I was done I used the blade to push it back into a nice little pile. But, when I was done, he did tell me I would be getting a $500 fine if it was on a job... because I left the boom in the air when I got out.

He is getting back into the excavating businesses, that's why he bought the machine. On the way back to my house, he asked if I wanted a job. He said that I have to start out as a labor worker, but I understand that I need to see how things work before I can get into a machine. He told me he will try to get me into a machine when he can and he will let me move up faster then somebody else would. Because, we all know the place I want to be is in the cab of a machine! He is going to pay me good, and you all know what that means, more GT stuff! :dancingbanana:

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Congrats Ryan. Hope it all works out for you, and that you move up the ladder quickly!

#3 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 08:20 PM

SWEEEEEET!!!!!

Congrats to you this time Ryan :)

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 08:36 PM

There's a big CONGRATS in order there! I'm sure that you'll do just fine with this new opportunity! Please (and I've said this to my own Kids on several occasions) remember that he's doing you a favor and you can repay that by doing the best you can for him and proving that you deserve the advancement. (This isn't a lecture, just some friendly advice) We're used to seeing the kind of pride that you put into everything that you do so I'm confident that you'll go far quickly. Again, Congrats on the opportunity!
  • twostep said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Ryan that's great news !! Keep us posted of the different jobs/equipment as you "move up the ladder " , Al

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 08:57 PM

That is some honkin great news Ryan! But lower the boom from now on! LOL

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 09:41 PM

That is pretty cool Ryan, way to go.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ryan, That is very exciting news buddy. I know it will work out for you. I just hope it doesn't cut into your GT time too much, just kidding. Good Luck and Be Safe !! :thumbs:

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 09:53 PM

Good for you! Now remember this, try to learn something every day on a job site, find out how to read blueprints, story pole, site level, and laser's.
Also remember to save a little $$ for when there's no work, because when it's cold, and not snowing times will be tough in the excavating business.

P.S. Pick member Cat 385B brains, he's an operator on road and bridge building projects :thumbs:

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Good luck on the new job and I hope it works out nicely for you. Sounds like a lot of fun if things go as planned.
Good luck!

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Congrats! What kind of construction does Harry do? Site excavation? Pipe work? Grading? Strip mining?

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ryan, that's some fantastic news. You keep your nose clean and you'll be climbing the ladder (into the cab LOL) pretty quick if I know you.

Tell Harry we said to let us know if he need you whipped into shape. We'll abuse you for him on the off hours :)

Having some heavy equipment stuff under your belt can be a big plus on paper. I remember when applying for the job I have now, one of the reasons he called me in for a second interview was to find out more about what I'd run (I was a little young to have run Bulldozers and Backhoes, but that was an different era & on the farm + my first job at the neighboring orchard) He was hoping I could run a trencher for Satellite installations. No problem. :thumbs:

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Thanks everybody! I am going to try and soak up as much as I can. He left my house not long ago, and as he was leaving I told him "If that mini goes missing, look here first!" He Laughed and asked what I would need it for. I told him I wanted to fix up the trails in the woods so it would not be so hard on me and my tractors. He said that he will bring over any of his equipment anytime I want as long as it is not on a jobsite.

Congrats! What kind of construction does Harry do? Site excavation? Pipe work? Grading? Strip mining?

He does some of everything, except mining. This weekend we are supposed to go do a lawn, I don't know what has to be done exactly, that is all he really told me. He has 38 sewer lines that need to go in by winter, and he will do just about anything anybody will pay him to do.

Ryan, that's some fantastic news. You keep your nose clean and you'll be climbing the ladder (into the cab LOL) pretty quick if I know you.

Tell Harry we said to let us know if he need you whipped into shape. We'll abuse you for him on the off hours :)

Having some heavy equipment stuff under your belt can be a big plus on paper. I remember when applying for the job I have now, one of the reasons he called me in for a second interview was to find out more about what I'd run (I was a little young to have run Bulldozers and Backhoes, but that was an different era & on the farm + my first job at the neighboring orchard) He was hoping I could run a trencher for Satellite installations. No problem. :thumbs:

I know it is very good to have a good operating resume! I have already driven just about everything under the sun! It is mostly just moving stuff around, though. When I was using the mini I could tell I was rusty, but have less then an hour in the cab of an excavator, and it was mostly just using the blade to grade a driveway. But, I do have some time with a backhoe, so I know how to work levers at the same time! :thumbs:

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 10:54 PM

Spend all the time Harry allows on that mini. It's the same as the bigger ones, only faster. (usually) If you can cut a level ditch with one of those, you can do it with a bigger one. BTW, it's easier to cut a level bottom if the machine is sitting level.

When you start operating equipment in the future, take note of little things. Machines always parked with the fuel tank on the side easiest to get to. Always lock everything possible if left on a jobsite. Always park a machine sitting level, so the morning check of fluid levels is accurate.

Take note of what equipment he has. (brands) Ebay has keys for everything imaginable. Buy a set, or a few of each kind that you need. It shows initiative, and a desire to learn.

Own a grease gun. Machines need grease to live. If somethings squeaking, it's dying an early death. That one is a personal pet peeve.

Anything with rubber tracks should be on a level surface. Rubber tracks can go over curbs, sure. But not at an angle. 90 degrees only. Tree stumps like rubber tracks, but not vise-versa.

Edited by Cat385B, August 20, 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 04:30 AM

That's right some good news Ryan.