• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bobp OFFLINE  

bobp
  • Member No: 10996
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi everyone, Im new here but it seems like a great site. I just bought a Cadet with a K161 engine.
The muffler elbow has broken off where it screws into the engine block. I have about a 1/8 inch sticking out of the block. Any suggestions on how to remove this? Also, are the elbows and other fittings there just regular pipe fittings? thanks. Bob.

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 12:59 PM

First off :welcometogttalk: As for getting that piece of muffler off. I have found that that oftentimes when there is still a short piece sticking out you can take a chisel or large punch and smash it down out of the threads in the block all the way around and twist it out with a pair of pliers.They are just standard pipe threads.

Edited by LTD, August 20, 2012 - 01:01 PM.

• bobp said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 01:39 PM

Our Illustrious Member John@Reliable has a tech note on how to remove broken nipples.
  • bobp said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 02:59 PM

Welcome to the forum. As said above. Here's the link to John's tip on removing those. http://gardentractor...ler-nipple-r123
  • bobp said thank you

#5 bobp OFFLINE  

bobp
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 05:27 PM

My muffler elbow was broken off at the block. I tried bending it in by taping on the short piece that was still sticking out, but they just broke off and now Im left with a small piece still inside the block with nothing to tap. Its frustrating. Any other suggestions for getting that out. Im afraid if I keep beating on it, I will destroy the threads in the block if I havent already. Thanks

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Did you look at the link JD posted, has never failed me in 30+ years, the key is take your time with the cuts, if you don't cut the nipple/90 you are most likely going to ruin block. With out seeing it, I would likely just use a hack saw blade,with a rag as a handle.
  • bobp said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have found out the hard way that banging around on the block at the bottom of the threaded area will most likely break something off. It's thin there.
  • bobp said thank you

#8 bobp OFFLINE  

bobp
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I did read the posting, and tried with the hack saw. I guess Ill just keep at it. Thanks to everyone for helping. Appreciate it.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I would either use a hacksaw blade as John said, or a die grinder to take it to the threads in 2 or 3 evenly spaced spots, then with a sharp punch, drive the sections inward.
  • bobp said thank you

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:30 PM

:wave: bobp! Welcome to GTTalk! It's good to have you here! I'm very sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your exhaust elbow. It seems like the guys have the advice all doled out, so I'm just gonna say Hi and thanks for signing up!
  • bobp said thank you

#11 bobp OFFLINE  

bobp
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Well guys, with a little persistence and a lot of advice, I finally got the broken off nipple out of the block. I think I just hadnt hack sawed down far enough. The threads on the block look a little mangled where I was tapping and sawing so hopefully I can get them cleaned up tommorrow when I get a new elbow and nipple. Whew..... Thanks to you all for staying on my case until I got the job done. HaHa..

#12 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Well guys, with a little persistence and a lot of advice, I finally got the broken off nipple out of the block. I think I just hadnt hack sawed down far enough. The threads on the block look a little mangled where I was tapping and sawing so hopefully I can get them cleaned up tommorrow when I get a new elbow and nipple. Whew..... Thanks to you all for staying on my case until I got the job done. HaHa..

Glad it worked out for you, will be easier next time :smilewink:, remember to cut first before trying to knock it out :thumbs:

P.S. Nipples are cheap, so buy two and use one as a chase to clean up the threads, being IPS they don't need to be perfect, use a little oil as a lube, it will burn off quick enough, so don't worry about getting it all off.

Edited by John@Reliable, August 20, 2012 - 09:30 PM.