John Deere 318 Running Funny

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 abushey123 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4054
  • 13 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hey guys just wanted to tell you that i got a john deere 318 in great condition that runs for $300!!! it was a great deal. But there is one small issue. The engine missfires and dies when it is under load and at high RPMs, I have cleaned the plugs. The carboratore has been cleaned but it still missfires. It starts fine. The tractor has a onan p218 engine with no points. the compression is good and it does not smoke. I would really lik eto get this tractor running so if any body has had this happen to them or have any sugestions on what to do next that would be great!

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 07:59 PM

I would start with the fuel system, clean carb, check/replace fuel line, filter, after ignition was ruled out.

#3 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,383 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Wow, you got a good deal on that one! Got any pics?

do you have good compression on both sides?

I am with john, it might be as simple as a clogged fuel filter, There is a fuel valve on the side of the tower that might not be on all the way or stopped up, the valve at the the gas tank might be clogged or not open enough, etc. Make sure you have good fuel flow.

How's the carbon build-up in the heads? Are the spark plugs really dirty? maybe a valve might not be closing all the way.