UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 02:36 PM

Whew. Long day yesterday. Worked all day on a93 Chevy Suburban doing head gaskets. Started at 830 am and finally gave up at 930pm. My whole body was give out when I quit. My neck was so sore I could barely hold my head up. I had it all put together and was trying to get the spark plugs put in but my body was so exhausted it wouldn't cooperate. Next head gasket job will be brought to me. Since I pulled the heads Tuesday in the dark and had to pack up all the parts we were missing all kinds of nuts and bolts. SO yesterday was put 5 bolts in and look for an hour for the missing one. What a headache.

Going back Monday to finish it up. Hopefully in a hour or so it will be done. Today I am taking it easy and trying to recuperate. I can move my head again, a hot shower did wonders.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 02:45 PM

You did the right thing to finish it another day. There comes a point in a job where you are better off packing it in for the day and finishing it up when you aren't tired. It's real easy to make a mistake or break something when you are exhausted. I've been there many times myself. Sore necks are a pain in the neck though.LOL! I find some sort of mild muscle relaxant like Robaxacett will help with the pain.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 04:18 PM

That will teach you about doing it away from your shop/space :smilewink: . Nothing worst than searching for something, be it a part or tool.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Did a couple of overnight engine swaps in vehicles in my youth, I know what you mean by the body just giving up.

I feel your pain and wish you luck on Monday.

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 04:55 PM

That will teach you about doing it away from your shop/space :smilewink: . Nothing worst than searching for something, be it a part or tool.

The owner is a good guy with 4 kids and one Latvian exchange student he is support on a single income. I was trying to save him a $150 tow bill. Never again. From now on every repair more involved than an alternator swap comes to my house. At least then I can come inside and take a break and not feel like I am messing up someones house.

The things that bothers me the most is I bent my thumbnail backwards. OH well hopefully Monday it will all be over and I can go back to destroying my own stuff LOL.

#6 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Sorry to here about your bad day. Working on automobiles is not as much fun as working on GTs

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I've gotten the point in my life that I just refuse to go on site to do a repair. I like having all my tools available like you be able to take a break when I need to. I know how you feel I've also been there done that.

#8 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Sounds like you had your share of headaches this weekend! I guess we all have those days! Hope you feel better.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 06:08 AM

Sounds like you had your share of headaches this weekend! I guess we all have those days! Hope you feel better.

My sentiments exactly.

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Went up yesterday and put it back together and started it up and it smokes like a house on fire. There is something else wrong. I suspect a cracked block. Had it towed to the house and I will tear it apart here.

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 10:40 AM

Had it towed to the house and I will tear it apart here.

That ^^^ sounds like a great idea. Or, find a big 'ole service truck to work outaa ! :laughingteeth:

Too bad that even after your good work, and trying to save the fella a few bucks, there are still problems with it. Hope you find it , at least now that it is at the house you can settle into the task at hand at your leisure.

I know what you mean about doing stuff out in the field, it can be a real pain in the keyster, and neck.