24 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:36 AM

There is no "fish oil" in wd-40. http://www.wd40.com/...ends-fun-facts/

DARN IT...! And it won't cure arthritis either...? I suppose now I'll have to stop using it as a hay fever nose spray, sun burn protection, anti dandruff and jock itch cure... Amazing what a dose of total truth will do for us home rememdy folks.:D

#17 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 19, 2012 - 02:15 PM

DARN IT...! And it won't cure arthritis either...? I suppose now I'll have to stop using it as a hay fever nose spray, sun burn protection, anti dandruff and jock itch cure... Amazing what a dose of total truth will do for us home rememdy folks. :D

Don't worry HH, I am guilty of all of the above. I've heard the same stuff for years. You're post got me to wondering, some times "wandering", about it.

#18 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 05:01 PM

I wonder if minnows would work as well as goldfish. They would be very cheap and then at the end of the season the cat could have a snack.

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:23 PM

You can go to the pet store and buy 'feeder' goldfish for $0.25. As I said in warm climates, guppies work as well por better than goldfish.

#20 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Ok, fish go in the barrel to eat the mosquito larva... Then at the end of the season the nicely fatted goldfish are frozen and kept until next Spring when they are used one to a plant as fertilizer in the garden! No wasting them on cats or Heaven forbid accidently releasing them into the storm drains where they will eventually cause further global atmospheric problems like jumping carp.

I keep the plastic lids on the barrels and I don't think fish would appreciate just swimming around in a dim blue light all the time. Since I'm totally concious of all living creatures feelings (well, mostly... :D) I couldn't subject fish to such psychological stress. But, fish are a far better answer than even WD-40, now that I know the low down on that stuff. But I'm still going WD since I don't give a hoot for the environment since it's too much too late now anyway...
:dancingbanana:

Edited by HydroHarold, August 19, 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#21 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 10:25 AM

I've been considering setting up a system in my crawl space (it's about 50" tall). Since it see's very little light and stays cool I wonder how much I would have to worry about skeeters.

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 11:25 PM

I've been considering setting up a system in my crawl space (it's about 50" tall). Since it see's very little light and stays cool I wonder how much I would have to worry about skeeters.

IF you keep the container closed except for the "In" and "Out" there's no way skeeters can lay their eggs in the water. You can even screen off the inlet/outlet and not worry at all. Screens on the inflow will also filter out anything that comes off the roof. My 2 home made barrels are only open around the inflow holes in the top and the outflow hole. Somehow they can get in through those little spaces even with the covers on. Not many, but I did see a couple last month. I could make some screens... maybe next... century...:D

The barrel around the front of the house is one of them store-bought ones and it has a punch plate over the inflow. With the downspout aimed across it it's self cleaning of debris as the water runs over it.
  • twostep said thank you

#23 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to start buying barrels a couple at a time and lining them up.

#24 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Never heard of that with the WD40. Very interesting.....I always use my spreader/seeder in spring to lay a mix down that kills everything off til bout august then another light layer in August and it seems to work great.

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 12:03 PM

IF you keep the container closed except for the "In" and "Out" there's no way skeeters can lay their eggs in the water.

I've got my first three barrels... I'll try to seal them up as much as possible but will use your WD-40 trick if I get troubles next year.