• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jacreech OFFLINE  

jacreech

• Member No: 7696
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 07:18 PM

My 1977 Bolens QS16 (Kohler 16 hp K341) runs great for 20-40 minutes, then abruptly shuts off. I have good spark when I check it, fuel from the pump to the carb. Replaced the inline circuit breaker thinking it might be bad and have checked all wiring. Could it be a bad ignition switch cutting out in the run position? I don't see how it could be the coil, points, or condenser, since when it runs it runs strong. Battery is also good and being recharged by the stator. The engine is only 3 years old.

Any ideas for me to check?

Thanks!!

Jim

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 07:21 PM

After it dies, will it start back up right away?

#3 jacreech OFFLINE  

jacreech

• Member No: 7696
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 09:39 PM

For the past few weeks it has been re-starting quickly, but with each re-start it runs for a shorter duration before cutting off again.
Today it cut off and won't re-start at all. It tries to start - fires a few cycles - then dies. As if not getting enough fuel. That's why I wonder about a partially clogged carburetor. But if it's the carb, would it run well for 30 or 40 minutes before it cuts off? Doesn't make sense to me.

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 03:04 AM

First time it sounds like getting no fuel. Cleaning the tank and the hose and using a fuelfilter may help.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 05:28 AM

It may not be a fuel problem. I would check for good spark right after it gives up on you. It could be a heat related problem in the coil or it could be a flakey set of points. Check the point gap and condition and make sure the push rod is not worn and is moving freely. The fact that it is was consistently shutting off after a certain amount of time makes me think it is something to do with heat causing an electrical problem of some kind. Good luck getting it sorted out.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Might be the condenser?

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 06:06 AM

Ditto, it sounds like an electrical/heat problem. Didn't someone have a coil acting up the same way recently?

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I had an identical situation on the magnum in my Troy-bilt. Ended up being the fuel pump. The pump's internal check valve on the outgoing side would come loose as the casting would heat up. I'm not sure if the KTs use the same pump as the Magnums but when I did a bit of looking around in the various forums I found a lot of references to those symptoms and Kohler fuel pumps.

I fixed mine with an electric pump.

Edited by Canawler, August 19, 2012 - 09:25 AM.

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:03 AM

It may not be a fuel problem. I would check for good spark right after it gives up on you. It could be a heat related problem in the coil or it could be a flakey set of points. Check the point gap and condition and make sure the push rod is not worn and is moving freely. The fact that it is was consistently shutting off after a certain amount of time makes me think it is something to do with heat causing an electrical problem of some kind. Good luck getting it sorted out.

I had an identical situation on the magnum in my Troy-bilt. Ended up being the fuel pump. The pump's internal check valve on the outgoing side would come loose as the casting would heat up. I'm not sure if the KTs use the same pump as the Magnums but when I did a bit of looking around in the various forums I found a lot of references to those symptoms and Kohler fuel pumps.

I fixed my mine with an electric pump.

You guys both have me convinced. :)
If it's a fuel pump problem, can he verify / test with a temporary tank above the engine and have it gravity feed? Even a small tank from a push mower would run it for that long. Then if it runs all day or shuts down, he'll know which direction to start looking?

#10 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:08 AM

I fixed my mine with an electric pump.

The Magnums and K's are pretty much the same engine.

I would say a fuel problem and the pump is the prime suspect in "this" case. By pass the pump and run And see what happens.

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Check to see what the points push rod is made of. If it's the fiberglass type, throw it away and replace it with a metal one. The fiberglass type start to wear after a while, start absorbing oil, and then swell, which causes sticking after the push rod heats up.

One other thing that it could be, if not a push rod or fuel problem, is to check to make sure you still have the three screws tight, that hold the air cleaner base to the carb. Sometime these screws work out, and get sucked in through the carb, and find thier way to the intake port, causing the valve to stick open.