Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

So Much For Mse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 10:18 AM

I put MSE on the wife's Windows computer when AVG subscription ran out in June. I had heard really good reports about it so I thought I would give it a try.

Yesterday I get a call she has all kinds of popup's coming in saying her hard drive had failed and to allow this program to run to fix it. I told her to just turn the computer off until I got home. Sure enough it was a malware. So I spent last night cleaning it up, thankfully she just hit the power button and it was fairly easy to clean off except I could not get Window's 7 to boot into safe mode.

What got me though was I also have teatime running as well. Just beware if you get a bunch of popup telling you, you have a hard drive failure don't believe it. Reach over and turn your computer off don't even shut it down with windows. Just hit that pwr button and then start cleaning it up.
  • Alc said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Man, those malware programs seem to be getting more aggressive. I hope Mac's never get to this point but it's liable to happen as these guys have nothing better to do than to think of ways to ruin other peoples days!
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Bill , thanks for the "heads-up" not sure if I could fix it like you did anyway lol, but at least it might not cause as much harm using the power button and then call for help , Al

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 11:09 AM

but at least it might not cause as much harm using the power button and then call for help , Al

It is much easier to clean up by just killing the pwr then if you start hitting button's and trying to kill it in that state. You will more then likely hit the wrong button and allow it to install and then you will have a tremendous headache on your hands, more then likely a windows reinstall.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 11:41 AM

thanks for the heads up
i have a laptop that as soon as i get a hard drive for it i was thinking of putting windozes on it but im not to sure if i want to go back to windozes or not.
i may just put windozes on it for that rare time i need something other then Linux.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 12:44 PM

DS, I did that last year. I have an old Dell laptop that I use in the shop and decided to put XP back on it. I don't think it lasted a month before I switched it back to Linux. It currently had XUbuntu on it.