Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Any Ideas Of What's Happening To My Fuel ?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Considering the difference in price of gas in Canada vs US, I'd hope it's better quality ;).

I didn't realize high-test doesn't have ethanol. Years ago, i was told to always put premium gas in the toys. But that was to get a longer shelf life.

How can gas have a shelf life of only 30 days? It just spent that past 2 billion years in the ground.

#17 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Just a question, but does anyone know if they're running ethanol fuel in China?

#18 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:02 PM

http://pure-gas.org/

#19 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Here's a great link to find gas stations that sell the good stuff, another source if your area doesn't list a station is an small airport.

http://pure-gas.org/
  • MH81 said thank you

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Just a question, but does anyone know if they're running ethanol fuel in China?

Excellent question!

Considering the difference in price of gas in Canada vs US, I'd hope it's better quality ;).

I didn't realize high-test doesn't have ethanol. Years ago, i was told to always put premium gas in the toys. But that was to get a longer shelf life.

How can gas have a shelf life of only 30 days? It just spent that past 2 billion years in the ground.

Right now, it isn't so much the short shelf life of the gas, it's the ethanol additive in the gas causing problems.

#21 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:04 PM

That's freaky :thumbs:

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Looks like that the tarp has to go . Still not sure why the additive didn't do it's job but maybe more condensation then would ever be expected to do. If it was from condensation , would that travel all the way down the fuel line ?

#23 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:08 PM

That's freaky :thumbs:

that was lol

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Looks like that the tarp has to go . Still not sure why the additive didn't do it's job but maybe more condensation then would ever be expected to do. If it was from condensation , would that travel all the way down the fuel line ?

I would think, the lines should be fine, provided they were ful of fuel. No air means no condensation.

Food for thought..
We buy cheap products, made in china. When they fail, we simply throw them out, curse a few times about
"Made in China junk". And run out and buy another one. (because it's cheap enough.)
Is the problem the junk they sell us, or, is it, that it won't work on our fuel?

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Al, looking at that picture I have three thoughts.

1. Aw, nuts
2. Your tank will vent (and suck in moist air less) if it's full
3. If you shake that peanut jar, how long before it settles back out? I have seen some misc stuff online about shaking your gas can or stirring what's in the tank before running, just to mix everything back up...
  • Alc said thank you

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:51 PM

I would think, the lines should be fine, provided they were ful of fuel. No air means no condensation.

That's the strange thing , it wouldn't even fire at all until I drained the fuel bowl and lines and replaced with fresh gas .

#27 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 10:09 PM

That's the strange thing , it wouldn't even fire at all until I drained the fuel bowl and lines and replaced with fresh gas .

It starts at the tank, a little at a time gets into the system,settles in bowl, collects until there enough to cause either gunk, or won't fire. I'm in the oil business and see it a lot (water), but with fuel oil it turns into a black slime product that clogs the filters.
It's just a matter of time until someone comes out with a cheap drainable aftermarket water separator for small engines.
  • Alc said thank you

#28 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 04:17 AM

I have read that the ethanol is only a 30 day shelf life.....yes it did spend millions of years in the ground, but all the additives screw it up.
I don't have to worry about the fuel going bad in my truck at 15 MPG!

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 08:35 AM

It's just a matter of time until someone comes out with a cheap drainable aftermarket water separator for small engines.

That's a great idea :thumbs: I did a web search but didn't come up with anything I thought would work. Might be hard because it's a gravity system .

I wish all fuel tanks had a low spot, or "sump" for the water & alky to settle into, along with a petcock to allow easy draining of the stuff! Having the fuel valve in the bottom of the "main floor" of the tank, above this sump.

There's another good idea , run a second pickup a little off the bottom for the carb feed and use the original lower one for a drain-off . How about one of those motorcycle petcocks that have " OFF-RUN -RESERVE" You could use the reserve as a drain . I think the bung would have to be 3/8"pipe though , Al

#30 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Sounds like water to me. If you leave the tractor sitting for a fairly long time with the fuel tank partially full that will happen.

A partially filled tank will allow condensation to form, and with yours being under a tarp, that probably contributed to it.

if you are going to leave a tractor sitting for a long time, you should either drain the fuel tank or fill it completely. It would also be a good idea to shut off the fuel and let the engine run to use the fuel in the lines and carb as well.

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 17, 2012 - 05:18 PM.

• Alc said thank you