John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 10:30 AM

I would say either a can or sprayer, hard to tell when first done. But if you post a
picture after a year or two I would be able to tell which better. :smilewink:

#32 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 05:31 PM

This is a sore subject for me to respond to in words, so I'm just going to post some pictures, and let you guys tell me what type of painting method I used: Spray Gun, Spray Can, or Roller?

I just wish I would have taken pictures of the tractor in the day light instead of at night. The tractor pictures show a little bIt of the reflection, but not as good as it was in the day light.

The tractor was painted using rattle cans, and it still looks as good today as it did when I painted it. I hear so much talk about how you can't get a finish out of a rattle can paint job, like you can using a spray gun. If it's done right, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two methods of application. If you viewed the video showing how to get a nice finish out of using a roller, you'll see that no matter how the paint is applied, it can turn out very nice and showable. What most people don't understand is, a finish will only turn out as good as the apllicators patience will allow. I hear of so many guys saying "today I got a lot of pieces stripped, primed, and first coated". The reason your paint finishes aren't turning out nice, stripping easily, or scratching easily, is because you aren't letting the paint set up and cure the way it needs to be.

Each of us know that the primer is one of the most important steps of starting a good paint job. Just because the can says that the parts will be able to be handled in an hour of two, doesn't mean that you are ready to start applying the first coat of finish. You have to let the primer set up for at least twelve hours, so that it bonds correctly to the metal. I like to let it set up no less than twenty four hours. Yes we all get excited about getting our tractors finished so that we can make it to the local show, but rushing the primer, is only going to cost you in the end. Rushing the primer, is one of the reasons why most tractor finishes scratch so easily. It never fully cures, thus not bonding correctly. Is one method of painting better than the other? It's entirely up to the tractor owner, and what he feels works best for him, or what type of finish he prefers. I'm not nocking the guys that use spray gun applicators, or invest in the high dollar paint. Some of guys have very nice paint finishes, and I enjoy looking at them just as much as the next guy. For me, I want my tractors to look just like they did when the rolled off of the showroom floor. They didn't have the high gloss appearance, as most of the tractors were dipped into big paint tanks and left hanging to dry. Back then most dealerships didn't use clear coat or even wax. Yes, hardener was used in the paint, and yes, when trying to strip the old paint off, it is a real bear. But it was also lead paint, which is no longer available anymore, so we have to look for other alternatives. The paint will give it shine, but the clear coat and wax is what really makes it last longer and durable.
  • Newpaws493 said thank you