dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These were done using base coat/ clear coat through the gun.
Dupont Chroma Clear... VERY tough stuff and they look as good now as the day they were painted. The time stamp is wrong (cheap camera) as this was about 3-years ago.

#17 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:24 PM

To get any decent result with cans, prep is the key. Exactly the same surface prep for guns will work fine for cans. I just got this in today's Gempler's order: http://www.gemplers....rch/can handler This one is better than the old one (which I can't find:D), it has a nozzle cover lock so the button doesn't go off when you don't want it to. For can painting keeping the nozzle aim and angle is more important for a good finish and these holders help with consistant holding and sweep. And "Keep on shakin'" every few strokes. My paint choice is always Krylon if I can get a decent match.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#18 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I have one of those can sprayers/holders also, love it. Mine is outdated now because of the new wide big push buttons most of the companies use now.

Edited by BushBoneYard, August 17, 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#19 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 02:35 AM

I just totally restored a 1960 ride a matic using rustoleum spray cans. Every part was sand blasted, primered, painted and covered with a rattle can clear coat. The finish was amazing! Until the first trip one of the kids took it across the field and a little bit if gas sloshed and leaked from around the gas cap. As soon as it happened he drove it up to the garage to get a rag and the paint down to the primer wiped off with the gas. And it was only on there for a minute tops.... I won't do another full resto until i am set up to paint with a spray gun and paint that uses a hardener. For the amount of work involved in repainting/restoring it's a hard hit to watch it wipe off from a drop of gasoline...

#20 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 04:13 AM

HYDROHAROLD is correct, prep is important no matter how you spray, The paint in spray bombs is generally the same as can, We have a local paint store that will put any brand paint they carry in a spray bomb ,even base coat. Which is great for touch up.
If spraying with shaker cans I use a new can for each coat, the propellant in shaker cans is propane and the pressure really falls off as you use it, by using a new can each time it lays out better, then the part cans get used up on chassis parts or wheels or the such
One other thing to watch for when using spray bombs is whether it's enamel or laquer, alot of companies use laquer in spray for etching addhesion, and if what your painting on may get reflowed on breaked through edges and will crinkle on those edges.
Another tip is that 75% of dirt in a paint job comes off of the person painting, get a cheap paint suit and use tack clothes even when using spray cans
  • JDBrian and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#21 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 08:43 AM

These were done using base coat/ clear coat through the gun.
Dupont Chroma Clear... VERY tough stuff and they look as good now as the day they were painted. The time stamp is wrong (cheap camera) as this was about 3-years ago.

Man, that's the funniest looking garden tractor I've ever seen :confuse:
But seriously, for other paint tips... They make very inexpensive air dryers. I adapted one to go in-line with my paint sprayer so I use it only when I need it. And ask me if you want to know how to make a crude paint booth ot of cheap plastic sheeting and furnace filters.

#22 Gary from Muleshoe ONLINE  

Gary from Muleshoe

• Member No: 6921
  • 34 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 06:04 PM

I apreciate all the comments. Krylon is good paint but they do not carry the colors I need for my Case. At least they do not list them on their web site.

#23 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 05:29 PM

If you are considering a Rattle Can paint job, I will refer you toain another site where I am a member.
Because there is a very good 3 part Tutorial on Rattle can paint jobs. You can find it in the articles menu on the left at the bottom of the page
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/

Just wanted to say thanks for posting that link, lots of good info on prep & painting! I'm always looking for info on that subject,. thanks ag

#24 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:04 PM

i use rustolem professional enamel from Acklands Granger its tough paint and there are quite a few different colors

#25 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:29 AM

I usually use a spray can and it seems to usually turn out good. I would stay away from valspar myself. I feel it has too much run and not enough coverage. I really like rustoleum paint!

#26 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 08:06 PM

I got a bad can of Rustoleum paint while doing the hood on the GTV18. Man did that make a mess. I bought it at the same time as all the rest, but it came out in clumps and splotches even though I shook the can properly. I guess you get a bad one every so often.

#27 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 10:46 PM

Why Spray?

Although I do...this guy does an impressive job with the roller...

#28 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Maybe I can save somebody in the area trip to the Po'keepsie Home Despot looking for Krylon... They don't carry it, only Rustoleum. Interestingly, they did not have any "safety yellow" in any form or any brand. The guy said, "How about 'Sunny Yellow'?" I told him it's much too happy a color for serious equipment and shovel handles.

#29 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 06:51 PM

This is a sore subject for me to respond to in words, so I'm just going to post some pictures, and let you guys tell me what type of painting method I used: Spray Gun, Spray Can, or Roller?

I just wish I would have taken pictures of the tractor in the day light instead of at night. The tractor pictures show a little bIt of the reflection, but not as good as it was in the day light.

Edited by johndeereelfman, August 31, 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#30 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm going to guess gun, on that job. If not... may I say that you a VERY nice job with the spray cans. I highly doubt it was done, using a roller.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you