• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Gary from Muleshoe OFFLINE  

Gary from Muleshoe

• Member No: 6921
  • 32 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:32 PM

OK folks I am getting ready to tear my Case 180 down and repaint it. I am debating weather to use rattle cans or by a quart of the each color and use a gravity feed gun. What rattle can paint do you fellers consider to be the best on the market? I have been told to stay away from Van Sickle and Valspar. I appreciate your opinions.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:38 PM

I've not seen Flambeau in rattle cans although it may be available, the Desert Sunset is available in cans but I think to do it properly you'd need a few cans...quite a few. Your best bet is to contact Steve Guider and he will tell you which brand...Good Luck

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:21 PM

If I was tearing it down and had a sprayer, I would be using good paint with harder, will it cost more yet, but should last a long time compared to a spray can, done once, done right.
There is a list available with paint code #'s depending on year of tractor, I have it some where if needed. :thumbs:

#4 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:38 PM

If I was tearing it down and had a sprayer, I would be using good paint with harder, will it cost more yet, but should last a long time compared to a spray can, done once, done right.

I agree. You'll get a nicer finish with a spray gun, it will shine way better than a rattle can job would.

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 03:09 AM

I have had pretty good luck with rattle cans, especially Rustoleum, they have a line of ag. colors just for our tractors. I goes on well and shines just like its wet. It takes a long time to dry so patients is a must.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 03:13 AM

I use rattle cans myself.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 05:09 AM

You can get a pretty good finish with a rattle can. I used Tremclad JD green on my JD314 last year and it turned out pretty good. I think that a spray gun could yield a better finish and the paint seems to be of better quality then the average rattle can. It is probably cheaper to use a sprayer. It takes a lot of rattle cans to paint all the little pieces and then there's primer as well. Recently I picked up a trigger/handle thingy that fits on top of a rattle can and makes it a whole lot easier to get a good finish. It takes the strain off your trigger finger when spraying a lot of paint. I can't remember the brand but it should be available at any place that sells paint or body shop supplies. I think I got mine at Princess Auto up here in Canada.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 05:18 AM

My advice is,if you have access to a compressor, then use a paint gun.You will get better results.

Oh course that being said,if you have not used a paint gun to paint with before,then the rattle cans would be easier for you.
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#9 Guest_rat88_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:55 AM

I have used the vansickle both in spray cans and by gun, priced at about $25 a gallon compared to $6 a can, its cheaper to go with the bulk ( and you have some left over for the next one). Rattle can paint jobs tend to fade out after a few years. If I had to go rattle can, ditto on the rustoleum, But thats around $8 a can

#10 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,384 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 07:34 AM

When I redid my Case two-tone pedal tractor I went to the local Case/IH dealer and bought a rattlecan of Desert Sunset. That is the most awesome rattlecan paint I have ever used. It goes much farther than Krylon or Rustoleum and those others are not even in the same ballpark on quality. I believe one can would do the hood and fenders on a garden tractor. One can was $8 and worth every penny! Good Luck with whatever you decide.

#11 Gary_QH ONLINE  

• Member No: 10445
  • 6 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:47 AM

If I buy a quart of Rustoleum, can it be used in a spray gun?

#12 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Yup, just make sure you read the directions on the back for reducing the paint down to spray it. Not sure how much reducer/thinner you'll need, but it will say on the back. Haven't sprayed any rustoleum for awhile so I don't remember.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Finish quality of rattle versus spray gun aside, rattle cans lack hardener which means the difference in durability. Take a good strong thumbnail to a sample of each, and you'll get the picture. But this also means that you can't just store away paint for the gun once mixed because it will harden right inside a sealed container.

I will still use either, but I tend to use spray guns where I'd hate to see it scratch or wear off (like the hood) and rattle cans where I don't care as much and can just hit it again if it gets damaged (top of mower deck).

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 12:13 PM

If you are considering a Rattle Can paint job, I will refer you to another site where I am a member.
Because there is a very good 3 part Tutorial on Rattle can paint jobs. You can find it in the articles menu on the left at the bottom of the page

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 16, 2012 - 12:15 PM.

• Salatino said thank you

#15 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:50 PM

I would go with the gun. You can buy a cheap spray gun and get decent results on garden tractor sized stuff without too much practice. Harbor Freight, for example, has some pretty decent utility grade spray equipment. For gt size stuff, you might consider just using a touch-up gun. Smaller pattern and you have to mix up less paint...

Rustolium is easy to spray - directions are on the can, I think you cut it down 10% IIR with thinner.

I know this sounds kind of funny, but practice spraying on a cardboard box - especially the sealed paper ones like a USPS box. The angles and edges are good practice, and the cardboard is a little more forgiving of runs as you get used to the spray pattern.

You CAN get good coverage with cans, but is a time consuming process. Like it says on the can, you need to do multiple coats and let them dry appropriately between coats. Don't try to put one coat on thick cuz it will run. With a gun, you can put on a thicker coat than a can - so 2 coats with the gun would be 3-5 coats with the can.

And spraying is cheaper than cans - usually!