• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hey guys,
We inherited a Huskee with a 22hp Briggs Vanguard twin when we got the house. It doesn't seem to be too bad of a tractor other then needing cleaned up and getting the motor to run right. The problem with the motor is it starts up, when it is cold it needs choke which is normal but you can't go above idle or it starts bogging and blowing black smoke which to me seems like the high speed needle is too rich. It backfires through the carb when it is idling also. The only other thing I thought about is it might not be firing on both cylinders but it seems to run smooth enough to kind of rule that out.

The problem is I don't know anything about the Briggs. I tore the front end off the tractor so I can get to the carb but I can't find any adjustments on it other then the idle rpm screw.

#2 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning. I would suggest a dose of SeaFoam. In the meantime get the parts breakdown by going to the smallengine site below. Choose shop online parts lookup. Select Model tab. Select OEM- enter model and type no.

Small Engine Parts Warehouse - Parts

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 12:06 PM

Sounds like a thorough cleaning is in order. I would take the carb off & clean everything. May have a clogged bowl vent. I know on a Kohler K, when the vent is clogged it runs ok at idle, but will load up bad with any increase in rpm.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 08:32 AM

I figured I would post an update. I got her running good. I took the carb apart and it actually looked pretty clean on the inside. I tore it completely down and cleaned it all up and put it back together and back on the motor. Tried running it again and same thing. So I pulled the plugs which is the first thing I should have done. The one on the drivers side was hot and the one on the passenger side was cold. So I checked to make sure the plug on the passenger side had spark and it did. So I pulled the valve cover off and low and behold the pushrod adjustment bolt came completely out of the rocker on the exhaust side and the pushrod was just laying there. I put it back together and set it for .016 clearance as I didn't know the spec for it but figured it would be close enough. Put everything back together and fired it up and ran like a champ other then spraying for bugs for the first couple minutes till the cylinder cleaned out. Dad mowed with it for about an hour last night. I gotta pull the blades off and sharpen them and also change the oil. Not bad for an inherited from previous homeowner tractor. It will be nice beating the crap out of that thing instead of using our collectors all the time for mowing duty. Plowing, snowblowing, and mowing on occasion is one thing but mowing all the time with them is another.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 10:27 AM

Didn't I mention to check the rockers? :bigrofl::bigrofl:

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 06:37 AM

So,where are the pictures ?:bigrofl:

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 09:08 PM

No pics yet, I was out tonight and was going to finish mowing with it and got a couple strips mowed with it and it started doing the same thing so my guess is the pushrod came loose again. I guess this time I will clean the threads with starting fluid and then use some thread lock on it. I don't know why that one would keep wanting to come loose.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 28, 2010 - 06:56 PM

Well I have more problems with the Briggs, as the above post says it started acting up again but I didn't get a chance to tear in to it last night. I just got done pulling the valve cover off again on the same side and here the pushrod on the exhaust valve that I put back in place was still good but now the intake valve pushrod popped out and bent. I will have to try and go to a dealer and get the pushrod, I don't know why it would have done that other then maybe it has been long due for a valve adjustment which I should have checked when I fixed it the last time. Anyone else have any ideas on why it might have done that? Bad thing is I can't find the model number or serial number on the motor. The air filter cover has the Briggs logo with 22hp OHB I/C Vtwin. It is a Huskee tractor.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 03:26 PM

George, you may have varnished up valve guides & stems, causing them to stick enough for the push rods to come out from under the rockers. Weak or broken valve springs would do the same thing. If the valves are tight enough, they could bend the push rod. I have read that some models have steel push rods on the exhaust & aluminum on the intake, and the aluminum ones bend all the time. The pro shops replace the aluminum with a steel one (both same length, etc) just like on the exhaust & problem goes away.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 05:54 AM

I gotta check the valves out more as well as the springs. It does have the aluminum push rod on the intake side which is the one that bent. For the little that we care about the tractor LOL I think I am just going to get two steel push rods and be done with it as long as the valve springs are not broke :D

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 01:49 AM

My Uncle is a mechanic and he always has said to run some 2-cycle gas in a briggs engine. He explained it this way: Briggs redesigned all their engines tolerance-wise when gas still had lead & never opened up the guides for the varnish that comes with new gas. He gets years longer than most people out of Briggs Engines just by adding in some smokeless mix.

#12 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 12:06 AM

Nutndun, hope you got it all back together by now. If not assuming that we are talking about a V-twin overhead valve motor the spec's are .005 intake and exhaust cold. Briggs used these spec's on most the V twins. Good luck getting her all back together and running good.

jhn9840
John

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 05:23 AM

Nutndun, hope you got it all back together by now. If not assuming that we are talking about a V-twin overhead valve motor the spec's are .005 intake and exhaust cold. Briggs used these spec's on most the V twins. Good luck getting her all back together and running good.

jhn9840
John

Thanks for the info John. I didn't get it back together yet as I had to order the pushrods and didn't get them ordered till Saturday. They should be in today though. I am going to check the clearances on all the valves. The exhaust pushrod that i fixed the first go round I set at .016 clearance because I wasn't sure where it needed to be set at. I will set them at .005 and see how she does.