5 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Which to do? Sleeve hitch or 3ph? Since im building the wheel horse its getting time to build a hitch. I have the means to make it hydraulic. I wont buy a WH hitch as they are 2 expensive. My fab skill are minor as I dont have the tools. Ive got a 3ph cat 0(i think) off a sears GT. would it be better to use this or manufacture some sort of sleeve hitch. A plow will be the main thing I use.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:26 PM

The Sears is a "sub zero" hitch size. They are smaller and a little lighter built than their true cat zero counterparts. And you'd be locked into Sears implements. Also, there'd be some geometry involved in making it work right.

The sleeve hitch would give you more options and probably find way more equipment out there available in new and used to work with it. There are some guys here who have built their own hitches for their WH, there are some pretty big bends in it, so make sure you take your time to fab it right, or it'll give you fits or not hold up.

Whatever you decide make sure you get good steel. HardY stuff that won't bend or deform from use.
  • BairleaFarm said thank you

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:34 PM

The Sears is a "sub zero" hitch size.

well poo poo I thought it seemed light weight. I wont use it if it isnt true cat 0. thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 05:02 AM

I'd say to go 3pt. unless you already have the sleeve hitch implements. The 3pt. is a better hitch system.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 05:51 AM

The 3 pt. is a better system than a sleeve hitch. It is harder to find used implements for though. I think it depends a lot on what you plan to do with it. If you are doing a lot of heavy work, take the time and money to go with the 3 pt. If it's most lighter stuff, go for the sleeve hitch.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:22 AM

I would go with a 3-pt if possible.

I know that the 3-pt implements are a little harder to find and usually more costly, but there is a cure for that:

http://www.ballardfa...cat0sleeve.html

I have a Bolens 1886 with a 3-pt and use this particular one. This allows me to use sleeve hitch implements with the 3-pt. This one is very well built. If you do get one from this gentleman, make sure to specify that you want the hitch tab on the other side so you can use it for pull type implements as well.

However there other folks that make them as well. You would just have to do a bit of searching through Google or eBay.

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 16, 2012 - 06:23 AM.