Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Does Wet Concrete Break Apart Easier Than Dry Concrete?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yea go down and buy 500 lbs of Nitrite and a few gallons of Diesel Fuel. We will see how long before the FBI shows up. LOL

Used to use ANFO to blast with at the Rock Quarry.

The minute you put Nitrate and Diesel together in the same sentence those boys started monitoring your post, sheesh man your already in Oklahoma, no travel time from Michigan in a bright orange OLds the size of a small yacht needed to find you, be careful !!

#17 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Belive it or not, concrete has no strength at all. In order to reinforce concrete to the point of having strength or for supporting something heavy, you must use rebar or wire mesh. If you notice on over passes, the concrete road is supported by metal decking, which in turn is supported by steel beams. You will never see an over pass poured entirely out of concrete without some type of rebar, steel, or wire mesh embedded into it first. If you ever took notice of how curbing always cracks, and seems to fall apart so easily, it's because there is no reinforcement, like rebar, used in holding the concrete together. Concrete by itself, will not support a thing, and will break or crack quite easily. And yes, to answer your original question, moisture will deteriorate concrete when it's not properly sealed. Does your concrete sidewalk deteriorate? Of course it does. After being poured, the contractor doesn't seal it, due to added cost. But, if it were sealed, your sidewalk will last a lot longer than your neighbors sidewalk. Ever try breaking up your sidewalk? It will be hard to break due to the wire mesh embedded in the concrete at the time of the pour. Now if you poured your sidewalk without the reinforcement, then you would have chunks of sidewalk breaking apart everywhere, without swinging a sledge hammer. If the concrete is cracked, and water should happen to lay in the cracks and freeze, it will crack the concrete beyond repair. The slab, floor, sidewalk, etc. will have to be replaced. This is why expansion joint is used. The expansion joint lets the concrete expand and contract during weather changes. Sometimes you might see white plastic strips used in concrete sidewalks or big floor slabs. These white strips are called control joints. If the concrete slab or floor needs to crack due to pressure, it will crack at these joints, and is designed to help keep the cracks controlled, and not ruining a complete floor or slab.

Ok, I'm done. That was your free tip of the day. I used to work in commercial construction as a union carpenter for 17 years, and we poured concrete everyday. They used to tell me that I had a gift, because I could almost smell the concrete trucks, when they were still a mile away. They were good learning years, but believe me, I don't miss a bit of it!

Edited by johndeereelfman, August 15, 2012 - 08:50 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#18 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Got two of these on the jobsite right now, need one?

Posted Image

#19 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:13 PM

Cat, that would work!

#20 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 05:41 AM

I had (still have a lot of it) a poured in place front step. Apparently concrete used to free, but metal was expensive, because whoever poured it used old cultivator shovels, bed frame, and what appears to be part of an old cast radiator. After more than a week of beating on it with a sledge hammer I decided it was low enough and just built the wooden deck on top of it.

The old sidewalks in my yard were built the same way...sometimes the concrete is ten inches thick, but the steel used in the concrete is old scrap. It's brutal stuff to break up.

Next time I'm borrowing Cat's machine.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:49 AM

Go rent a demolition hammer. Basically a smaller, electric version of a jack hammer. It'll still give you a workout. But would bust things better than a sledge.

#22 JeffinIA OFFLINE  

JeffinIA

• Member No: 6212
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 04:50 AM

"Believe it or not, concrete has no strength at all."

Excuse me ????? Concrete is designed by compressive strength. PSI Pounds per square inch. Rerod, wire fence etc hold concrete together when it cracks.
Steel beams in bridges as well as mats of steel bar are all part of the engineered product . Designed strength. Pre tensioned Concrete. Your post is probabaly a 3000 psi mix.

Edited by JeffinIA, August 18, 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 08:28 AM

We use 4,000psi minimum strength mix here on our farm, sometimes a 5,000psi mix. Concrete is strong in itself. The last shed we built went out over a concrete cow lot area poured a good 30 years ago. Needed holes in the concrete for the shed's rearmost 5 posts. Concrete only 5 to 6" thick, and I drilled a continuous circle of holes right next to one another. Took me an hour with a sledge to get that center busted up, and that was with a 10lb sledge! Concrete (good concrete)gets harder the older it gets!

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Apparently concrete used to free,

Sounds like you live near a cement town :smile1: , Used to be around here when the Alpha Cement Co was opened ( closed early sixties ) most guys in the little town worked there , my dad did until it closed , you did get most if not all your cement free ( maybe that's why it closed lol) anyway if those guys poured a sidewalk you didn't make it 4" no you make it 8+" , and if you put a wash line pole for the wife you used so much you would need a backhoe to get it out lol , Al

#25 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 12:00 PM

I worked on a job in Texas once where the concrete was 80 years old, man those old timers knew how to mix it. I have seen anything that hard.