83 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:05 AM

First day of school, first class today at 2:00 local time. After 25 years in the repair business, I'm trying to move into something else that won't be as physically demanding as what I've been doing. Tendon damage in my feet is the most recent thing, but loss of vision in one eye some years ago hasn't helped either. I'm looking for an associate degree in something computer related, probably networks. Hopefully this semester's classes will hone a desire in one particular direction or another. I knew after Dad passed and left me some money that probably the best thing I could invest it in was education, but I didn't expect to find myself unemployed. I'm stressing.
  • twostep and SamMC have said thanks

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions (remember it's your dime)
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:32 AM

You will do fantastic.. If ya have a problem just get help.. No shame in it. A good friend of mine is a instructor at a Tech school up here. He says the ones that fail are the ones that don't ask questions when they need help.

#4 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:48 AM

This is good news. Things happen for a reason, and I think you did a good job of finding that reason.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:55 AM

I wish you the best with your schooling. I would suggest sticking more to hardware or systems administration rather then networking. If you concentrate strictly on networking, just remember that someone has to run the network cable and when you are the new guy on the block that ends up being your job. I know my hands cramp up and don't work like they used to and cabling is one of those things that can really make them cramp up. At least doing systems admin or pc repair it won't be as physically cramping on the hands.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Good Luck Howard, You will do just fine. Stick with it and finish your education !!

I can't think of a better way to use the money your day left you. :thumbs:

Unless you bought more GT's !! :laughingteeth:

#7 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:18 AM

You'll manage it, Howard :thumbs: :thumbs: 22 years ago, I walked this way, too.

#8 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:25 AM

You will be fine. I think just about everybody goes through a significant career change at least once in their life. 10 years ago I was in high tech managing a call center, now I'm a high school science teacher. It's daunting and a little scary at first but most adventures in life are. Good luck!
  • HowardsMF155 and Team_Green have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Good Luck Howard. As George said you will probably want something along the admin side of the house. You might want to consider data analysis, 4 generation programming or DBA Data base Administrator. One suggestion is when you get into your new field and it is a full time desk make sure you get up and move around every 30-45 min's and get on an exercise program a couple of times a week. This will help you joints from not getting stiff.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Congratulations on moving forward to improve your education Howard. I'll wish you all the best and not add anything to the excellent advice above!

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,497 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Best of luck in your career change. One of the things that would concern me when changing careers would finding something recession proof. This would lead me to look into the medical field. Whether computer related or not this has proven to be a very stable industry.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:22 AM

I wish you all the luck and prosperity in the world Howard! I can understand a little aprehension at changing careers later in life. As was said above though, most of the exciting things in life carry a little fear at their core. I'm sure you'll be fine. Be the best student you can be, ask questions, and don't confine your education to the classroom. Learn all that you can about the subject and strive for the top! Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. Remember too that there are a lot of folks here who can help you with questions and resources!
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#13 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 05:58 PM

As a mathematics instructor at a community/tech college I can tell you we "LIVE" for the students that will show up, ask questions and do the homework. My non traditional students often struggle at first but soon are outperforming the younger students because the mature students have much stronger work ethics. Do not be intimidated by students that seem to finish tests much faster than you might, you will soon learn that they just leave many questions blank without even trying. The attitude that "D" stands for diploma is far to prevalent in our system today. :(
We are already proud of you for stepping out on that scary film of ice called career change, in this world we are now in this is an expected transition that many will go through several times in a working career. Think about it this way, we may not even know what a baby born today will need to know 20 years from now to get along in life...after all the IBM clone hit the home market roughly 25 years ago, that 8088 chip at the heart of the IBM today can handle delay wipers on a vehicle, and is often found in a gasoline pump. The DNA sequence has been broken and science and medicine change constantly because of that ( would have been impossible with out the computer). Change is about the only "constant" in today's technologically advancing society. Good Luck :thumbs:
  • John@Reliable, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Best of luck, Howard! I can't offer any better advice than what is already posted. Go get em!

#15 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:44 PM

As a mathematics instructor at a community/tech college I can tell you we "LIVE" for the students that will show up, ask questions and do the homework. My non traditional students often struggle at first but soon are outperforming the younger students because the mature students have much stronger work ethics. Do not be intimidated by students that seem to finish tests much faster than you might, you will soon learn that they just leave many questions blank without even trying. The attitude that "D" stands for diploma is far to prevalent in our system today. :(
We are already proud of you for stepping out on that scary film of ice called career change, in this world we are now in this is an expected transition that many will go through several times in a working career. Think about it this way, we may not even know what a baby born today will need to know 20 years from now to get along in life...after all the IBM clone hit the home market roughly 25 years ago, that 8088 chip at the heart of the IBM today can handle delay wipers on a vehicle, and is often found in a gasoline pump. The DNA sequence has been broken and science and medicine change constantly because of that ( would have been impossible with out the computer). Change is about the only "constant" in today's technologically advancing society. Good Luck :thumbs:

that 8088 chip(showing your age) Gee, maybe I should dig out my Pascal programming books :rofl2: :rofl2: :D