19 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 06:51 AM

For about the last 3 days, something odd has been happening to my screen. Lines of text are patially missing, that is the letters don't show their full height on the screen. However, when I scroll, the line of text will show fully. I think it is only happening on this site. Further, at some places on the screen, the mouse pointer won't click directly on a link, I have to move it down below the link, at which point it will work OK. For what it's worth, I'm running windows 7 and using Google Chrome to browse. Anyone have any ideas? Also, as an example, while I'm writing this currently, the first line and the one right above this line have the "squashed" text.
Thanks
Howard

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 07:10 AM

Whew, that's sounds odd to navigate.

I can tell you it's not showing on this end on PC or apple.

Do you have another monitor (don't think that's it, but worth a try if you do)
What is the antivirus and anti malware programs you're using?
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#3 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 07:16 AM

You've probably done this but tech support 101. Clear your cookies and history, then reboot. Amazing how many ills that will cure. Also, have you tried another browser to see if you get the same effect?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 08:05 AM

No problems here with Mac or PC. There are a lot of little glitches like this that seem to pop up now and then. Try the housekeeping suggestions above and see if that helps.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 08:30 AM

I know I have been having issues with chrome. Some of the sites that we go on for work to get blueprints will bog down chrome along with other sites like facebook. It ends up affecting any site you visit then till I at least restart the browser but that only fixes it sometimes. Most of the time a full reboot is required.

I think there is so much tracking going on behind the scenes with some of the browsers tracking everything that you do. Google is probably most notable for tracking. Problem is I used to like firefox but it tended to be a resource hog and I switched to chrome because for the most part it is faster.

#6 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Ok, I've heard about, and even used the "clear history" before, but I had forgotten about that. I've now cleared my browsing data, cookies and history from the chrome browser and at this point everything looks OK. And, yes it was only this site that was giving trouble, the emails and other sites as well as Word documents displayed correctly, so I figured it probably was not hardware related.

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:02 AM

I would like above, do the "housekeeping". Also a good idea run mal-ware weekly regardless of browser used, superantispyware, malwarebytes, or adaware are all good, and free, make sure all your software & OS is up to date, and consider going to Firefox.

#8 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:09 AM

Right. Everything looked good till I made another post, then it started happening again. I cleared history, everything looks right again. Any more thoughts?

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:45 AM

Howard,
I don't know what would be causing it and for it to only be related to this site. I think it might have something to do with the editor box. There is a software update for the forum and I will be doing the update here in the next week or so.

If you can do me a favor and try something next time it does it to see if it changes anything.

When you are in the editor box, there is an icon at the very top left that kind of looks like a switch. Click on it and see if the problem goes away. It turns off the rich text editor and makes it a regular text box.

#10 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:50 AM

George, there was something hovering around the mouse pointer during a recent post about "rich text editor", but just now I can't find it. I'll try again.

PS I found the button you are talking about. At this moment I am not having any trouble, but that is what I thought a little earlier today :) We will see.

Edited by HowardsMF155, August 15, 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 03:42 PM

Howard,
I don't know what would be causing it and for it to only be related to this site. I think it might have something to do with the editor box. There is a software update for the forum and I will be doing the update here in the next week or so.

If you can do me a favor and try something next time it does it to see if it changes anything.

When you are in the editor box, there is an icon at the very top left that kind of looks like a switch. Click on it and see if the problem goes away. It turns off the rich text editor and makes it a regular text box.

If this helps, Sometimes the Mr.Smiley above doesn't work for me, but if I hit "More Reply Options" bottom right of this page, all is good to go.

#12 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Ok, I'm back to having issues. I've seen the "squashed" text several times again, usually clearing the history and cookies has restored normal text lines. Tonight, however, I have seen the 'squashed' text on the OTHER forum as well as this one, and it appears that only Chrome is having an issue, as I am currently on IE and text is displaying OK. Any thoughts?

#13 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 09:45 AM

OK, let's make a test post on this topic.

No squashed text this time, now I"m editing.

Edited by HowardsMF155, September 01, 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#14 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 09:51 AM

For anyone following this, over the last few weeks I've continued to have problems with text display in Google Chrome. It goes away when I first clear cookies and browsing history, then returns after I've made a few posts. Thanks to school, I just learned about something called "Adobe Flash Cookies" which "helpfully" put cookies back on your computer after they have been cleared. I have cleared out Adobe Flash Cookies by going to the adobe website. Right now I'm in the "lets see what happens" stage of this.

#15 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Ok, squished text came back after second post. Something about this site, Google Chrome, and my computer is causing display issues. I'm going to keep changing things and posting to see what happens.