• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 11:08 PM

I took the plunge and bought ny 1st massey and found a loader at a reasonable price.
Question: If I plumb the hydraulics directly into the tractor will I have enough fluid volume to operate or should I run an aux.pump?
another question: Is there a place to buy brake pads for the 1655?
more questions: what is the best wat to attach the uprights on the loader to the tractor?

thanx
coop

#2 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:30 AM

hi coop
your massey dealer will have your brake pads. remember both pads are different sizes in thickness. last time i did my brakes it took me the whole day.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 04:12 AM

I just did the new brake pads on my 1655 and tyler is right, it takes a while. Mainly because both brake pads come as the same size and the outside pad needs to be cut down to size. I got my pads from jacks small engines but a massey dealer should be able to still get them. There are a couple guys with loaders on their Masseys so hopefully they can help you with that. I don't know much about having a loader on the 1655/1855

#4 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 04:49 AM

the massey parts list- one pad 538 023M1 it's 1/2 inch and you'll have to grind the other one down to 1/4 inch. those pads are tough stuff.

snapper parts list- 1-3700 - 1/4 inch pad
- 1-3701 - 1/2 inch pad

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 12:14 PM

You need to have a separate hydraulic pump system to run the FEL. The hydro charge pump does fine powering a custom power steering setup, but is way too low on volume to run a loader. You need a pump to provide 6 to 8gpm for the loader, the hydro charge pump only puts out about 2 1/2GPM MAX.
My uprights also serve as my oil tank, and I have them bolted directly to the frame with the mounting plates going inside the frame rails. I'll try to get a pic showing the location.

#6 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 01:39 PM

MF6.jpg I should have mentioned that I uploaded some pics, the loader is a Johnson and has a small pump ,one leg os also a reservoir.

Attached Thumbnails

• MF7.JPG
  • 0718101509a.jpg
  • 6571nl6_20.jpg
  • 6086dhd_20.jpg
  • 0718101509b.jpg
  • 0718101508a.jpg

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 02:09 PM

You need to have a separate hydraulic pump system to run the FEL. The hydro charge pump does fine powering a custom power steering setup, but is way too low on volume to run a loader. You need a pump to provide 6 to 8gpm for the loader, the hydro charge pump only puts out about 2 1/2GPM MAX.
My uprights also serve as my oil tank, and I have them bolted directly to the frame with the mounting plates going inside the frame rails. I'll try to get a pic showing the location.

Boy it seems like a whole lot more than that if you forget to put the filter on.:laughingteeth:

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 02:10 PM

PS that is a really nice MF

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:00 PM

Boy it seems like a whole lot more than that if you forget to put the filter on.:laughingteeth:

I'll just bet it does!:bigrofl:

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:04 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3697[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3698[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3699[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3700[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3701[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3702[/ATTACH]I should have mentioned that I uploaded some pics, the loader is a Johnson and has a small pump ,one leg os also a reservoir.

WOW !!! That is a nice tractor.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:06 PM

Here are some pics I already have showing loader mounted. I'll get close-ups later this afternoon. My tunnel cover is off, so maybe I can get pics of where it's bolted up. Where you bolt it also depends on bucket clearing the hood well. One thing too, depending on your loader geometry, the hood may be very hard or impossible to slip off. With mine, I had to shorten the hood tabs by half so I could easily get hood off for service. Things were so tight that when I tilted the hood, there wasn't room to slide the tabs out of the frame as it hit the cross brace between the loader arms. Shortening the tabs did the trick. Things like this you find out later, so just giving you a heads-up.

DSC00116.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00155.jpg
  • DSC00147.jpg

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 05:20 PM

Here are some pics. On the left side the mounting plates come up from both front & back of the loader under-frame. They clear the brake pedal shaft.

DSC00234.jpg

On the right side, there was too much on the front side, so I put a mount plate onto the top rear & another on the rear side of the loader under-frame and both bolts through it & both plates welded together.

DSC00233.jpg

Before welding mounting plates to the under-frame, I put the complete FEL under the tractor, then blocked it up to get all in proper location for the bucket position, then I seen where the mounting plates could be located, then cut & tack welded them in place. I then dropped the loader & put a good deep weld on them. Then blocked it back up & drilled through the tractor frame & FEL mounting plates at the same time.

#13 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 20, 2010 - 08:48 PM

Hi coop here's pics of how I mounted my hyd.pump as well as the extra pulleys on the tractors main drive.The pics show my loader mounts and hyd.tank that I made fit under and around the foot threadle pedal.Hope they give you a idea how to mount your's .Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• MF 1655 hyd pump 003 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655 hyd pump 007 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655 hyd pump 004 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655 hyd pump 005 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655 hyd pump 006 (Small).jpg

#14 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 21, 2010 - 05:58 AM

That's a very nice looking rig you have coop! You will get a lot of use out of the loader when you get it up and running.