101 replies to this topic

#91 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• Member No: 2220
  • 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Well, bad news and more bad news....

I was lying awake the other night reviewing what I did for Bror's engine, and after reading about a different engine teardown, it occurred to me,,, I didn't wash out Wally's cylinder after honing, before putting him together!! DOH!!!! So, I've checked in with some small engine guys, and its looking like I better open him up again... Although the damage may already be done...

So, I was gonna fire Wally into the garage today and start a teardown, but Mother Nature had other ideas.... I think my outside tractor-working days are over for this year.... Once the snow starts stayin on the ground, its only a matter of time... So, instead, I decided to cut my losses, get Ernie going this morning, pull Wally's engine (in the freezing wet) and at least haul IT into the garage, then huddle Wally and Cranky up for warmth,

Posted Image

Tuck them into their nice warm blanky,

Posted Image

and put them to bed for the winter.

Posted Image

Note to self for future reference, take the shelter top off BEFORE it snows! Had to come in to dry off...

So this afternoon is a trip out for longer carriage bolts for Ernie's wheel weights, then bashing the rust off of the chains from Bror, and going hard to prep LittleTractor and Ernie for winter....

If its a balmy winter, I may try to dig into Wally's engine to see what damage I've done... According to the book, doing a compression test is difficult because of the ACR in the K181... I'd love to do one, so I can see what's going on... So, suggestions are welcome....

#92 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:03 AM

Dig out the long johns buddy... Supposed to be a log cold winter.. I been watching some fool cut and split extra fire wood this year (that would be me :smilewink: ).... Stay warm.. stay safe..
  • littletractorguy said thank you

#93 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Okay, I admit it.... DieselDave, you were right....

That knocketa-knocketa-knocketa sound.... The quietness of Wally's engine, the apparent lack of power.... Had a minute tonight so I thought I'd just go pull the head off Wally as a start to the teardown... Took out the third head bolt, oil came out with it....

Uh oh....

Posted Image

Oil all over the combustion chamber, burnt onto the valves, head gasket came off in two pieces and was all sticky with oil...

Ring gap fairly far out of spec... BIG clue! Not sure why I couldn't see this when I dropped the piston in, and I don't think this is something that happened SINCE I started working on the engine... Could THAT MUCH out of round happen in, maybe 15 minutes of run time, even with the possibility of honing grit in the cylinder? I'm not too impressed with the engine rebuilders that I took the block to... The ones who said it was in spec... Then again, you get what you pay for... And I guess a 5 minute look by them for free was worth every penny....

Lots of alternative plans bubbling through my head, but very few do not involve either mucho $$$$ or lotsa time.... And to top it all off... Ernie smokes so much I don't think I can drive him...

Suggestions and condolences are welcome... I'm going to bed now.... Posted Image

#94 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:21 AM

I guess the thing I didn't point out as obviously as I should have (I thought it showed up better than it did in the picture of the cylinder), you can actually SEE the egg-shape worn in the bottom half of the cylinder... Aside from all the things I did wrong, I'm guessing that DieselDave was right, when he warned me that the out-of-spec ring end gap indicated big problems with the engine....

I DID offset the rings, I DID make sure the oil ring was at the bottom (in fact I had a heck of a time getting it to fit in to the oil groove, so I made sure to double-check and follow the directions carefully) and compression ring was at the top...

I might not waste any more time on Wally's engine at this point, I gotta start coming up with options that DO involve getting a tractor running but DON'T involve financing and renegotiating mortgages...

#95 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:25 PM

I know someone with a nice 4520 for sale.. :rocker2:

Just joken.. I'm not sure what to offer for help at this point. I feel for ya. My 112 started to puff now.. I'm glad it's the end of lawn season and i have 6 months of winter to sort out cutting green stuff. Do you have something for plowing snow? I hope so..

#96 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Not sure there's too much anyone can do at this point, Team... And as tempting as the 4520 IS, I THINK that might get me in trouble with LTGal! :)

Nope, time for a NEW plan! I'm gonna go hard the rest of the day today trying to get Bror rolling, see if I drop Cranky's transaxle into him if I can make HIM into a runner... If so, then strap the blade onto BROR! Its an outside shot, but you never know! And I'm getting tired of having him up on jack stands...

Now, I DID just get back from Princess Auto with a set of telescoping gages I can use to measure the bore in Cranky's ex-engine and in Wally's to see what's up...

#97 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 06:19 PM

It's been six hours.. How did the day go? You have real drive to be doing all this..

#98 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 12:11 AM

Well, I DIDN'T quite get Bror rolling YET.... Yesterday I got:
  • Cranky's transaxle out of Cranky and into the garage
  • Dug out the neutral start switch I was saving for Bror and installed it on the transaxle
    Posted Image
  • Cranky's transaxle strapped into Bror and a set of rims put onto Bror so I could roll him out of his spot
Posted Image

Posted Image

This morning I got the following done:
  • Pulled the tires and dropped the transaxle out because I'd forgotten the brake rod clevis on it and couldn't remove it because the brake lever's too close to the frame and I had the clevis in the wrong way...
  • Put the transaxle back in
  • Dropped the transaxle again because I forgot to connect the rear lift hook
  • Put the transaxle back in
  • Dropped the transaxle again because I couldn't get the #@$@#$@#$@# brake clevis pin done up with the transaxle IN the tractor... But THIS time I was smarter, I hooked up the brake rod, I hooked up the Neutral Start switch wiring AND I put on the input pulley and the drive belt
  • Put the transaxle back in (Thank GOODNESS for the ATV lift!)
  • Pulled the left hub because it seemed a bit wobbly... Must be the shaft, but I'm gonna live with it. Greased it up a bit, it seems somewhat better...
  • Put the tires on
  • Hooked up the drive belt idler tensioner
Then I broke for lunch, went back at it this afternoon! Got the following done:
  • Unstrapped the engine so I could get the main drive pulley on and the secondary drive belt from the variator installed.
  • Put the seat on, put on the shift quadrant, hooked up the brake rod
  • Got the dashboard all installed. Punched out the hole for the light switch, as I plan on putting lights on it...
  • Futzed around trying to figure out how the @#$@$@# the throttle and choke cables go on... Trick is, they cross over underneath the instrument panel, and then run around the outside of the engine!
  • Got the flywheel shroud on (but I had to remove the generator to do that)
  • Re-crimped several of my electrical terminals that had come loose
So, NOT as far as I wanted to get... I still have to:
  • Put a steering wheel on
  • Put on a gas tank, at least temporarily
  • Strap the engine back in
  • Drop the gear oil from the transaxle and refill it with new
So, a couple more hours and I should hopefully be able to see if it will pull itself around....

Sorry, not as many pictures, I've been going hard!
  • MH81 said thank you

#99 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 12:56 AM

Sounds busy... productive.. Take a breather once in a while buddy..

#100 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 02:14 AM

It was good to see you on the weekend.. All be it a short visit. The Plow did make it inside where it is warm (into the house not the shop) but not the blade portion.

Anyhow.. How goes things? Hope Life is chugging along as smooth as possible. Watch out for the speed bumps as they spill the can of nuts in the cup holder..

#101 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 12:02 AM

It was good to see you on the weekend.. All be it a short visit. The Plow did make it inside where it is warm (into the house not the shop) but not the blade portion.

Anyhow.. How goes things? Hope Life is chugging along as smooth as possible. Watch out for the speed bumps as they spill the can of nuts in the cup holder..

Whew, it has been a wild and crazy bunch of time since then, man! Work crazy, hard going on tractors, kids, school for LTGal, her mum up from her place.... Wally's all covered up, again, and I've had no time to work on him at all.. Glad to hear the plow made it inside at least... Another winter outside probably won't make too much difference to that blade, lol!

Been going hard on Ernie, actually.... Check it out!

#102 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 05:37 AM

Glad to hear Wally is tucked in for his nap! Plus he can't see you working on Ernie that way!