LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:00 AM

Unfortunately, for Littletractorgal!...... Slicing her finger open on what was probably a chunk of lead-based paint... So, LTBabe and I rushed her to the Medical Clinic,

Hmmm....... I was always told that them Canuck wimmins was TOUGH! You know, pour a little whiskey on it, wrap it in a greasy rag and keep going. I guess not!

#47 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:14 AM

Sorry to hear about her finger misfortune.

#48 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:21 AM

Sorry to hear the fates and other people's stocking practices set you back. Hopefully soon you'll report a runner.

Hope the finger heals up soon, tell her good luck.

#49 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 09:56 AM

Sounds like quite a day. Better luck next time.

#50 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• Member No: 2220
  • 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 11:33 PM

Houston, we are RED for GO!
Posted Image

Took the morning off this morning to do a bit of work on Wally....

Got a new positive battery cable installed,

Posted Image

the generator and guards installed,

Posted Image

hooked up my test battery,

Posted Image

Shorted from the batt terminal on the regulator to the A term on the generator, SPARK! Chhhhh---UG, chug,chugchugchug!! HOORAY!

Turned the key, and...... WHOLE LOTTA NOTHING!

DOH!

Went through all the wiring, tested the key switch, everything worked/had continuity, was figuring it was a voltage regulator fried, then happened to look at the plug connector on the key switch.... My positive (red) terminal on the plug was squished down... pull it up and...

Ta-DAH!

Check spark, I got spark, strap on the gas tank, run a hose

Have LTGal come out to hold the camera, and....

Check it out!

I am SO close! But I gotta go to work now!

• Trav1s said thank you

#51 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 05:12 AM

That's great! Hooray for Wally! Won't be long till we have video of him running around the yard playing!

#52 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Nothing better than seeing another RF coming back to life. They are the quintessential JD LGT in my mind and the one that started it all for me. Plus they are easy to work on... :smilewink:

Edited by Trav1s, September 29, 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#53 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 01:09 AM

So, thanks to the good graces of Littletractorgal and Kidlet #2, who amidst prepping for a birthday party for Kidlet #1 and helping take care of Littletractorbabe still allowed me some tractor time, I was able to get out to the back yard, gap the spark plug, set the point gap, drop some gas into the tank... then I took the time to pull the air cleaner off because it occurred to me that I would need to adjust the idle and high speed jets, and I can't do that with the air cleaner on.... Then I turned the key and voila!

Well, except for THIS little problem...

So I pulled off the carb and checked the float... No liquid inside of it, and when I put it into a pan of water and held it underwater, no bubbles and...

Posted Image

it floats... So, checked and set the tang, which I think was not quite right to hold the valve shut. IIRC, the float is supposed to be parallel to the bowl when its holding that valve shut...

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I strapped it back on, opened the fuel valve, and waited. When it didn't appear to leak, I tried again.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get Wally to run consistently... For a while, he would run with full choke on, so I pulled the carb AGAIN and cleaned all the passages with carb cleaner... Still no luck. Followed the instructions in the tech manual about setting the high speed and the idle jet, still no consistent run....Tried until I ran the battery down...

So, here's the question... Is it a carb issue? Should I perhaps swap Ernie's carb onto Wally? When he DID run, he smoked a bit, but other than that, ran alright... However, didn't ever seem to really get going... Maybe I'm not getting enough gas INTO the carb, maybe I over-adjusted the tang and its holding the valve shut before the bowl is full enough... When I pulled the carb for the third time, however, there was a fair bit of fuel in the bowl... Once I ran the battery down, however, I decided to focus a bit more on Ernie....

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:36 AM

Sounds like the carb may still have a clogged passage in it.
  • littletractorguy said thank you

#55 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:26 AM

Sounds like the carb may still have a clogged passage in it.

Ya, I took it all apart the SECOND time yesterday afternoon and ran some spray carb cleaner through as many orifices as I could find... I even took the high speed jet out and ran cleaner through it... Before I put the jet back in, I ran some compressed air through it to verify that I had air going through... Seemed good... But it still wouldn't go. I'm still wondering if I've got the float tang adjusted right... Perhaps now its closing the fuel off before the bowl is full enough to keep the bottom of the main passage "under-water" as it were... I suppose the other possibility is that the seal has let go on the carb.... The big test, I guess, would be to take Ernie's carb and put him on Wally....

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:39 AM

The low side jet could be plugged. Hard to get these real clean with just spray cleaner. Usually a good soaking will help.

#57 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 01:25 PM

I recommend a soak too. A gallon of carb cleaner is cheap enough and since you have a bunch of tractors to fix you will be cleaning more than one.

#58 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Thanks to a totally serendipitous PM from another forum member, I learned about the static timing options for Kohlers... In the tech manual for the 110, they talk about gapping the points to .020, then taking your timing light and shooting it at the timing hole and adjusting your points so that the S or SP mark appears in the timing hole... Well, I don't have a timing light, I didn't have a sniff what the timing hole was, and I didn't have a CLUE what the heck they were talking about this "S" and "SP" and "T" mark... AND you have to have the engine running well to be able to do that at all... Then this morning I found some info about static timing, so I thought I'd check into it... So first of all, what the heck is this timing hole??? Well, on a K181, I guess THIS is it:

Posted Image

And an S and a T? HUH? Well, out came my flashlight, and sure enough, rotating the crankshaft and looking in the timing hole I see first this,

Posted Image

then this,

Posted Image

So, disconnect the points from the coil, hook my VOM up pos to the points wire and neg to the frame, then see where they break (ie, open)....

Posted Image

Turns out my points on Wally were breaking right at T, Top Dead Centre... According to both the tech manual and the PDF, they should break at S, or 20 degrees before TDC (IIRC from my four-cycle theory, this is so that there's time for the spark to ignite the mix thoroughly before the piston reaches TDC, so you get maximum force achieved by the expanding gasses for the downstroke... Because the piston is coming up fast enough that if ignition happened right at TDC, you wouldn't get as much power because full expansion takes a bit of time and by the time that would happen, the flywheel would have taken the piston into the downstroke... Sound right? Or is it that you want some extra compression of the mix just as ignition happens? Or both?)... So adjusted the points so that they break JUST as the S centres on the timing hole...

Then ran and got Wally's carb and dropped it back on, strapped everything back in, hooked up fuel line, added a bit more gas (because, as it turned out, PART of my problems later yesterday was that there wasn't enough gas in the tank to push any through the fuel line... Gravity feed! Gotta love it!), open the fuel valve then CRUD there's gas leaking again! Stupid me, didn't do up the bolt on the bottom of the carb bowl tightly! CLOSE fuel valve, mop up gas, tighten bolt, turn key.... No ignition! DOH, forgot spark plug cable! Turn key again, Wally fires up, but will only run at low throttle! As soon as I try to speed up, Wally stalls! DOH! So back to the drawing board on THAT carb...

So, since Ernie's fuel system is down anyway, AND he's got a promising career as a municipal mosquito fogger in his near future, lets steal HIS carb! Off comes Ernie's carb (dropping more gas on the floor of the garage, but NONE in my eyes this time!), and I strap it on to Wally, and.....
THIS is what we have!

So, based on that, oh fellow tractor-fanatics, what's my next step?

#59 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Carb definitely needs adjusting, especially on the high side. When you up the throttle it goes blue-ish which tells me it is rich which becomes more noticeable as the engine reaches operating temp. Since it started without the choke (to me) that is a definite sign that the mixture is rich. The carb adjustment on the k181 is very easy and I do it by ear. Do you need the instructions?

Found these on-line.

http://gardentractor...justfuelmixture

http://www.weekendfr.../335/79992.html

And if you don't have the stuff from Kohler in your library:
http://www.kohlereng...ies#productlist

Edited by Trav1s, October 01, 2012 - 09:00 AM.

• littletractorguy said thank you

#60 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thanks Travis! Interesting reading! Got my carb repair kit and new points from Deere today, but I'm too beat tonight (and its too dark now) to go out and put them in. :( Figure I should treat at least one of those Carter carbs to some TLC.... Maybe even both... Once I get the new points in, and do the carb kit, then I'll try readjusting the carb.... And recheck the timing perhaps...