• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#31 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• Member No: 2220
  • 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Now, I want to make sure I'm totally clear here... Dave, I REALLY appreciate you letting me know about what the issues around end-gaps might be... I'm pretty green at this whole small-engine thing... I guess this is as good of reason as any to have 2-3 spare parts tractors for a resto like this... Well, rainy today, so lets see if I can get out to get Cranky... No matter what, I need to have him here in town... Every time I need a part off him, I don't want to have to drive 40 minutes to get it.

#32 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:00 AM

LTG.. Nice work on Wallys heart.. I am wondering if you compared your new set of rings to the old set? To see if they where longer, shorter, or the same length.. I wouldn't think you would hone out that much materiel. Then again none of us where there to see how long you where at it with your hone.

#33 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:04 AM

LTG.. Nice work on Wallys heart.. I am wondering if you compared your new set of rings to the old set? To see if they where longer, shorter, or the same length.. I wouldn't think you would hone out that much materiel. Then again none of us where there to see how long you where at it with your hone.

Unfortunately, the old set were pretty brittle, and the compression and scraper rings both pretty much shattered when I tried to take them off... So, no, didn't get a measurement unfortunately... I didn't think I'd spent that much time with the hone either, but I didn't count too carefully... It wasn't over the space of several days, like when I did Bror's...

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Given enough time, I suppose you could bore one out with a hone. I think my arms might give out several times before it was done though.

#35 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Given enough time, I suppose you could bore one out with a hone. I think my arms might give out several times before it was done though.

Agreed, I think in order to remove enough wall, you would either burn the stone out or get really tired.

#36 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:27 PM

I could see him honing it out that far over the course of a year of so but not in a few days. Not unless it was nonstop. Stones wouldn't last that long either.

#37 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:17 AM

Just a quick update, got Wally's engine strapped in last night, bought a 15/16" 1/2" drive socket to torque the flywheel back on, finished changing out the bad choke cable assembly with a spare from Cranky. This weekend's plan is to try to actually get Wally going...

LTGal's only comment was, "If you make a franken-tractor out of Wally and Cranky, you are NOT allowed to call him... Wanky!"

She should have NEVER mentioned that one to me! Posted Image

#38 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:33 AM

"WANKY" That's going to stick in our collective mind!

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Or it could be "Crally" (pronounced crawly). Glad things are going well!

#40 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have a couple of spare 15/16 you could have borrowed. You just have to drive down and get them :bounce:

#41 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Well, not a lot of pictures, 'cause I've been going hard.... Broke out the big torque wrench this morning and torqued the flywheel nut on to 75 lbs as per spec, without breaking any fins off the flywheel.Cleaned off Wally's carb, checked the jets, got carb and air cleaner put back on. Air cleaner was pretty hideously dirty, shook the element as clean as I could. I'll have to look at buying a new one. Stole a whole bunch of electrical parts off Cranky. Whoever had him before me, it looks like they put in a whole, brand new electrical harness into him, INCLUDING the piece of wiring that goes down to the neutral start switch... Although (despite the neutral start switch being THERE on Cranky) that chunk of wire was tucked up behind the dashboard with a jumper between the connectors and some duct tape wrapped around it... It also looks like whoever had Cranky sprang for a new ignition switch, there was BARELY ANY corrosion on the terminals AND the plastic was still white. Checked it with the multimeter, it functions 100%. So... That went into Wally as well. Wally already had the PTO safety switch, although it was not hooked up. So I swapped that over to the guard piece that I was stealing from Cranky to replace the one Wally's PO had done surgery on to accommodate his home-made generator mount repair... So eventually, Wally will have both safety switches back in operation... For now, I'm leaving them disconnected while I test the engine. I'll HAVE to remember that when I go to do a turnover test, as I don't want Wally lurching everywhere and smashing my shelter! Posted Image

ALSO put Cranky's nice generator mount into Wally. So, I've got ALL the electrical connected, just have to strap the engine tins on so I can hook the generator back up to the starter pulley, find a litre of 30wt oil to drop into him, then I'll do an electrical system test to see if he turns over... Once I find the little arm piece from the throttle linkage and get the choke linkage hooked up, drop the fuel tank back on and hook'er all up, maybe I can have Wally running by tomorrow.. Posted Image

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:01 AM

I'm glad to hear Cranky had many great parts to give Wally. Best of luck with getting it running!

#43 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Good to hear that Cranky made a good donor for Wally.

#44 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:01 AM

Only one or two steps away from a runner. :thumbs:

Thanks for the update. Tell the other half that I LOL'd at "Wanky". : laughingteeth:

#45 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 11:55 PM

Well, folks, no "Vroom-vroom" to report today... Not even a "click-whirrrrrrr"... Just a "click"... Well, not even that...

Bolted out of bed at 7:00 this morning, had my coffee and checked the forum, ate a bit of breakfast, then LTBabe woke up so I got HER dressed and eating, made LTGal her morning coffee then headed out to get to work on Wally. Had to segue into some garage cleaning because I had misplaced a piece of the throttle linkage for Wally. Back out and I put the PTO-side guard on, then went to set up the throttle linkage, then took the guide off, because you can't get the little fiddly bits of linkage in place with that guard on. After some partial disassembly, I got the throttle and choke linkages set up... Like so!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its been really nice having Ernie handy so that I could run over and check what things are SUPPOSED to look like. That was really helpful for getting all the tins back on in the right places. Hooked up the generator, got the starter pulley on to the flywheel, put the PTO-side guard back on, decided I wasn't going to put the PTO safety switch back on just yet because it occurred to me I'm going to need to pull the guard off AGAIN when I finally get around to putting the hydro pump on... And I'll probably need to unbolt the whole engine again when I go to put the belt from the PTO to the mule drive on... DOH! Oh well, I focussed back on getting things hooked up... Got to the point where I had dropped a litre of oil in and was ready to drop the spark plug on... DOH, gotta go buy more oil, 'cuz 2.5 pints (or whatever it calls for in the tech manual) is MORE than 1 litre. Oil level was only up to half way between add and full on the stick. I'd feel better with more... AND I needed a new spark plug...

So off to Canadian Tire... Well, they DID have the spark plug, but I wanted to stay with straight 30Weight oil for the first runup of Wally, and they didn't have that. So back at home and I continue doing a few -

DOH - our day got interrupted at noon by a trip to the Medical Clinic for stitches! Fortunately, NOT for ME (whew!)... Unfortunately, for Littletractorgal! Her cleanup project in the hallway had spiraled out of control, it went from just cleaning up the greasy hand prints on the door trim to scraping the paint off because cleaning it started removing the paint to pulling the trim off because the paint was so bad it needed to be stripped to banging the nails out of the trim pieces to DOH! Slicing her finger open on what was probably a chunk of lead-based paint... So, LTBabe and I rushed her to the Medical Clinic, then picked her up after about an hour, then grabbed lunch at A&W, stopped at Home Depot to get NEW trim rather than continuing to use the TRIM OF DEATH AND MAYHEM, drop LTBabe off at the grandparents for a while, then back home and setting up the tables in he garage for painting and firing up the chop saw for cutting trim then

BACK to regularly scheduled tractors at about 3:00... Pulled the helper spring off Ernie (DANG I'm impressed with it! I'll have to take some more pictures of it) then decided if I was REALLY going to get Wally going, I'd need a touch more 30wt oil and some 1/4" carriage bolts and wingnuts for the battery terminals (I live in fear of having to try to get the socket wrench onto the positive terminal to get things disconnected if somehow something goes wrong and I wind up letting out the magic smoke or causing a tractor-bbq...). Sure, I should be able to get that at the CO-OP... Well, no. Can you believe it, they're outta wing nuts! How can somebody be OUT of wing nuts? And 600 mils (about a pint, I guess) of 30wt oil is 6.99... Um, I don't THINK so, Tim. Over to Princess Auto, well they've got 30wt oil b y the litre for 4.99, PLUS the ever-elusive gear oil, so I stock up... Plus some air tool oil, cuz I was out of light oil... But THEY don't carry carriage bolts... So over to Peavy Mart, and I pick up 6 1/4" by 1" carriage bolts and some wing nuts by 4:55 pm, I'm the LAST person through the till... Rush home, hook up the generator light, connect the battery, make sure LTGal is handy with the phone for 911 if all heck breaks loose, then as the tech manual says, briefly connect the battery terminal of the regulator to the Armature post of the generator to polarize it proper- Did I get it on there? Nothing happened... Check my connection... nothing... NADA.... My battery is dead! Posted Image

By this time, its time to go pick up LTBabe from the grandparents, have supper, finish the trim, do the dishes, put the kid to bed, clean the kitchen, prep the carrots we got from Grandma, put the kid to bed AGAIN and here I sit typing this at nearly 11:00 pm... And still no running Wally...Posted Image

Oh well, I made LOTS of progress.
  • MH81 said thank you