UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Um... sorry MBW, but THAT one is still apart! :) That's Bror... HE'S still sitting apart in the garage, waiting for me to get the energy to drop a transaxle back into him...

(honestly... its like you can't tell my children-er, my tractors apart or something!!! :) )

Well maybe if you had just one that was a slightly different color. I can just hear you now if you had help.

LTG -Hand me that hood
Helper - which one?
LTG - the green one
Helper - which one
LTG - the one that says John deere on it
Helper - ummm which one
LTG - With yellow stickers
Helper - slamming the door and spinning tires on the pavement as he leaves.
  • littletractorguy said thank you

#17 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well maybe if you had just one that was a slightly different color. I can just hear you now if you had help.

They are all faded a little bit different.. can't you see that?? :laughingteeth:

#18 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• Member No: 2220
  • 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 12:48 PM

JUST so you all know, I've started work on an "illustrated guide to Littletractorguy's tractors", in the hopes that this will prevent any further faux pas like MBW's.... I just haveta round up all their school pictures and it'll be good to go!

:)
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 01:10 PM

This should be worth seeing!

#20 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:08 PM

LTGs Illustrated guide to dissassembled tractors from John to Deere.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Is he thinking about a parts schematic?

#22 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Well, been busy at work, so my illustrated guide to my tractors has been on hold for a bit... However, took a sorta-part-day-off today, did some landscaping, and decided I was going to try to get moving on Wally. He's been feeling so lonely, sitting by himself under his sunshade...
Posted Image
since I was at a bit of a standstill, because the rings, which were SUPPOSED to be here LAST Wednesday, still weren't here this morning. So I phoned the NAPA people, said I wanted my money back, because Mother Deere could have a set of rings to me by tomorrow PM if I ordered them this morning... Miraculously, by ten o'clock, my rings had "arrived" at NAPA. Hmmmmm. Even tho, when I went in after lunch, it STILL took them 15-20 minutes to find them... So back home and into the garage to get a bustle on...

So, the rings... interesting way to package them...
Posted Image

Here's the OLD ones...
Posted Image

Pulled them off and cleaned the grooves up (helpful tip from the work on Bror, break one of the old rings and use it to scrape out any carbon that's built up in the grooves).

Posted Image

Bit of a funky different oil ring in this set, I had a heck of a time getting it in place with the spacers. Finally had to tap it with a hammer...

Posted Image

Used this trick from the tech manual to push first the compression ring, then the scraper ring down into the bore to check the end gap...

Posted Image

Here's the ONE THING I'm worried about...

Posted Image
End gap on the rings half-way down the bore is SUPPOSED to be between .007 and .017... Both rings are clocking in at between .018 and .020. Uh oh... Will this mean blow-by? Well, can't stop now!

Broke out the handy-dandy ring installer tool...

Posted Image

Got all the rings on...

Posted Image

Then broke out my el-cheapo ring compressor, oiled up the piston

Posted Image

and popped the piston in! Went a LOT easier than last time with Bror...

Posted Image

Pushed the piston down into the bore, then flipped the engine over, oiled up the crank pin and the connecting rod race...

Posted Image

popped that rod cap on, torqued the bolts to 200 inch/lbs (NOT foot/lbs!), undid them and retorqued them as per manual, and bent the locking flanges back up with a pair of slip-joint pliers...

Posted Image

Got the gasket all laid out on the oil pan, then dropped the block on to it and bolted'er on. Good thing to read the manual tho, because I would have totally missed putting on the coil mounting bracket, otherwise...

Posted Image

and I DID miss the fact that 2 of the oil pan bolts are 1/4" longer than the others due to having the bracket bolted on... I LIKE how the Kohlers are styled over the Tecs, BUT this little bit here is kinda awkward to get a torque wrench into...

Posted Image

but I finally sneaked it on...

Posted Image

Getting SOOOOO close! Dropped the head gasket on...

Posted Image

then finally buttoned up the head and torqued it down as per spec in the manual!

Posted Image

So, next steps, I can't decide... I'm sorely tempted to hike it back out to Wally BEFORE I put the flywheel on, just because it would be so much easier to torque the flywheel nut on with it bolted to the tractor... AND it would be SO much lighter to move! HOWEVER.... That leaves me at a bit of a standstill because I only have ONE engine mounting bolt until I can get out and pirate the other three from Cranky... I also have to grab the generator mounting rod (Wally's snapped when I was removing it), a piece of engine guard (because to fit their homebuilt generator rod on, the PO did some plasma cutting on one piece of Wally) and the air cleaner housing...

So, next stop, Cranky! In the meantime, I'm going to try to clean up the electrical a bit while I can get at it...
  • MH81 and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:19 AM

Wally's heart transplant looks like it's just about done. Good for you that you managed to get a little personal time to work on it.
Thanks for the update.

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:14 AM

$53 for ONE set of rings!!! Did the dealer even blush when he quoted that?

Great thread, good pics, fine writing!

#25 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Great thread, excellent pics and write-up! Thanks.

#26 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 11:24 PM

$53 for ONE set of rings!!! Did the dealer even blush when he quoted that?

Great thread, good pics, fine writing!

That's actually the CHEAPEST I could find... Mother Deere wanted $65 for the same set... Of course, I'dve had them NEXT DAY instead of having to wait 2 weeks. That's a side effect of living up here in the Great White North, I guess... DON'T ask me about shipping costs for ANYTHING GOOD from south of the 49th... I could tell ya stories...

#27 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Whoo hoo! I have taking Cranky outta storage and bringing him into town for parting down on my calendar for Saturday morning! YAY :dancingbanana:
  • MH81 said thank you

#28 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 07:30 PM

ARGH! So NOW what? DieselDave has pointed out to me (thanks Dave!) the potential downsides of my ring gap on Wally being over the .017 limit for the K181... Including but not limited to such symptoms as: smoking, piston slap and general not-happiness... So NOW what? Dangit! I can't AFFORD to take this sucker and get it bored out to .10 over and get YET ANOTHER set of rings AND a different piston... And how what the heck?!? The engine shop I took it to said it was in-spec! So EITHER: They were wrong! OR I honed out a whole bunch of extra cylinder... I agree with Dave, I shouldn't go any further if its going to waste a whole set of very expensive rings AND a set of gaskets... But how the heck am I going to get one of these stupid things GOING?!?! I guess I get REALLY moving on tearing apart Cranky to see if HIS engine could be subbed in... But then of course, I've got to get IT measured again and I don't want to go back to the same shop if they didn't actually measure right AND I don't have an inside micrometer to do MY OWN measuring.... ARGH!

Guess I shoulda just closed my eyes and thrown this puppy back together without worrying about honing and new rings and stuff... I'dve been no further behind than I am now...

Okay, end of rant....

#29 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Two steps forward three steps back. I feel you pain. At least you got out and turned some wrenches.

#30 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 07:05 AM

DieselDave has pointed out to me (thanks Dave!) the potential downsides of my ring gap on Wally being over the .017 limit for the K181... Including but not limited to such symptoms as: smoking, piston slap and general not-happiness..

REALLY?!! All that from being .003 over the limit? I think I would gamble that it is still going to be better than Plan B.