• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'd say it was def. bone dry! Its a nice lookin original with a fel. I been lookin around for one myself,no luck yet. lol

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 03:05 PM

me too... they are hard to come by. I think I'm going to just build one this winter.

Ralph, what do you mean by "3pt set up" on the rearend... what am I missing?

me too... they are hard to come by. I think I'm going to just build one this winter.

Ralph, what do you mean by "3pt set up" on the rearend... what am I missing?

You can add me to the list of people wanting a fel!

Don't worry, I don't understand the cub 3 points either.

#18 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 04:39 PM

What has happened over the years is the "Ferguson" 3 point attachment system that Ford used first on the 9N has become the standard over the years and we all say 3 point referring to that set up. It is kinda like saying give me a Kleenex, which could be made by any number of other companies. Ferguson and Ford had a falling out (numerous law suits etc) and Ferguson started putting that same hitch arrangement on his own To-30's etc. After patent suits and such virtually every manufacturer started using that system and we now have Cat 0, Cat 1, Cat 2, etc.
To add confusion Cub low boys often have a real Cat 1 three point set up.
The Cub cadet 3 point for many years simply meant that the assembly for attachments had 3 contact points on the tractor. As Cub Cadets and other GT's got larger and more powerful a "true" 3 point arrangement started to be offered hence Cat 0 being the most common on Gt's
But early on the "marketing boys" at Cub surely were using the "3 point" terminology to get buyers to believe they were playing with the "big boys" ...seems like it worked ! (Just my 2 cents)
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#19 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the detail. The background of the now standard 3pt system is interesting. My question though is about this tractor, what I mean is when you look at the rear of this machine what is referred to as the "3 point set up"? is it what I have circled in red?

cub 3pt.jpg

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 07:37 AM

You are correct. Here is a Cub Cadet 3-point hitch:
Cub 3-Pt hitch.jpg
It is for a sleeve hitch.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#21 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Kenny, that is the diagram I would have posted in answer to twostep :thumbs:

twostep if you are looking for a spring assist and/or some of the other components for you tractor a Cub Original does have a slightly different configuration (mostly size and shape) of the specific components than the narrow frame and wide frame Cubs.

#22 Ralphst16 OFFLINE  

Ralphst16
  • Member No: 10653
  • 7 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 11:27 AM

We got the trans off last night. We are hopefully getting the new one this weekend

#23 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:43 PM

It will only run on idle though, which leads me to beleive the carb's got a worn throttle shaft. A carb kit will need to be ordered.

Something to consider, the Kohler K161 28118E with the magneto coil can be a problem. The secondary wires will short out over time and produce a low power spark. A quick test using an ohm meter - measure the resistance between the high-tension lead and ground. I believe it's supposed to be 7K ohms. If it's 3K ohms, then it would produce a weak spark that won't sustain higher RPMs.

If you can't find the coil (I haven't), you can convert to battery ignition using an internal resistor coil, matching condenser and a wiring diagram.
  • twostep said thank you

#24 Ralphst16 OFFLINE  

Ralphst16
  • 7 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Thanks motobreeder I'll definatley check that out

#25 Ralphst16 OFFLINE  

Ralphst16
  • 7 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 10:47 AM

We had a hard time getting the tranny out. Apparently, there's a homemade driveshaft on this tractor because it does not disconnect from the trans so we ended up having to take out the trans with the driveshaft and clutch still connected. My buddy got the tranny freed up and back in the tractor and now everythings working as far as being able to drive in all gears. We still need to fix the engine issue and the loader is leaking out of the pump and one of the arms, but we're making progress!

#26 Jarvisih OFFLINE  

Jarvisih
  • Member No: 10429
  • 9 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:04 PM

nice project!