• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Funtractor6 OFFLINE  

Funtractor6
  • Member No: 10904
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hello! Glad to find this cool forum, what a ton of info! I got my gt14 from my dad several years back and just use it for hauling trailer around yard--just won a blower for it on ebay for less then $90--so really excited to get it and be ready for the winter!
Hoping one of you experts here can help with my tractor woes...
Tractor ran fine a week ago...sat for 5 days, then turned over but wouldn't start.
Went through the usual and narrowed down to fuel problem. (as in lack of)
Replaced nasty old fuel lines (so no kinks, no obstructions), new clear fuel filter so I can see the flow, took out fitting in gas tank (there was NO pick up line attached, so I added one--seemed like there must have been something attached at one time), took off pump made sure it was working. Put all back together.
Couldn't get it to bring fuel through the line, so filled line, got it running. Once it ran through what was in line, it dies.
I have no clue what to do next--is the pump not pumping strong? Is something missing in the pick up line in the tank?

Anyone run into this before or have any simple things I missed?

thanks in advance! jim

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 07:31 PM

It sounds like you did a good job with the normal checklist of things to do when it is not getting gas! But, you forgot to clean the carb. I dont think that is your problem here but it could not hurt to clean it out! If the carburetor is above the gas tank then I would say it is a bad pump. Rig up another tank above the carb and see what it does. It does not have to be permanent, you can even hold it up by hand if you want. See if it runs with that temporary tank and if it runs then I would say it is the pump.

Also welcome to the forum! there are many people here who will be able to help you! :welcometogttalk:
  • Funtractor6 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. If you follow Ryans troubleshooting procedure and it ends up being a bad pump you have a choice to replace it with an electric low pressure fuel pump or you can go with a new mechanical pump like the original. Others here have used the electric pumps but you must get the correct low pressure model.
  • Funtractor6 said thank you

#4 Funtractor6 OFFLINE  

Funtractor6
  • Member No: 10904
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I held the line above the carb like you suggested and bingo--she ran just fine.
I'll start looking for a new pump for the old Kohler.

Much appreciated!

jim

#5 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 04:52 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. If you follow Ryans troubleshooting procedure and it ends up being a bad pump you have a choice to replace it with an electric low pressure fuel pump or you can go with a new mechanical pump like the original. Others here have used the electric pumps but you must get the correct low pressure model.

How do we know which electric pump has the right flow/pressure?

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 05:17 AM

There are electric pumps designed with low pressure for this application. They only put out maybe 2psi. Have a look at this thread. I believe there are models and brands mentioned. Your carb float seat and needle must be in good shape otherwise you could get leakage even from such a low pressure.
http://gardentractor...ric fuel pump