• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 uppinarms47 OFFLINE  

uppinarms47

• Member No: 6565
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 12:58 AM

I just picked up a 1984 Sears Craftsman GT/18 Twin 6-speed tractor. Model number is 917.253744.

The original Owner's Manual came with it. I didn't see this manual yet in the list of Sears or Craftsman manuals so I scanned and uploaded for all to share. The only other one I found online via Google search was at sears.pammar.net, but it wasn't free, so here's a free high-resolution one without an annoying added watermark.

The GT/18 is currently non-running. Seller said there is no compression on one side, but says the piston on that side does move, so I'm going to have a look at the valves and valve seats.

Here are a couple photos. The silver tractor is the GT/18 and the blue one is my FF/24, awaiting restoration.

IMAG1962.jpg

IMAG1517.jpg
  • KennyP, JDBrian, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 05:02 AM

Thanks for the manual upload. Those area couple of solid looking tractors you have there.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 05:16 AM

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the manual. I'm sure someone will be needing it. Don't forget to take us along when you redo the FF. I just noticed the frame is different from the GT.

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Welcome to the ownership cult of gaping mouthed Craftsman's. You can send me that Ff I promise to take good care of it.

#5 uppinarms47 OFFLINE  

uppinarms47

• 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 11:44 AM

Welcome to the ownership cult of gaping mouthed Craftsman's. You can send me that Ff I promise to take good care of it.

Haha. Good one, mybigwarwagon. Good one.

The FF/24 was a sweet find. Picked it up a few months ago for $260. Fortunately for me, the Craigslist ad didn"t have "FF/24" in the title, otherwise it would have been long gone by the time I saw it. The Onan T260G motor is stuck and also needs a starter. Haven't gotten into it yet. But I found another T260G for $100 that has a broken camshaft. Between the two, I hope to get a good running motor.

#6 uppinarms47 OFFLINE  

uppinarms47

• 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the manual. I'm sure someone will be needing it. Don't forget to take us along when you redo the FF. I just noticed the frame is different from the GT.

Yeah, the frame is different, but the hoods are nearly identical. In fact I bought the non-running GT/18 with the intention of putting the hood on my FF/24, fixing and selling the Briggs 18 twin motor, adding the wheels to my inventory, using the 44" deck on a late 70's Suburban restoration (if it fits), and parting out/scrapping the rest.

But after looking at the two pics, I can see they aren't the same hood. The FF's "eyes" are slightly farther apart than the GT/18's. But maybe the mounting and overall dimensions are the same. I wanted to avoid repainting the blue FF hood silver and then not having the red craftsman decals to go around it. I thought a complete hood replacement would be easier. But now I'm not sure the GT/18 hood will work at all. If it doesn't, I will definitely fix its Briggs twin motor and resell the GT/18 complete and running.

Then go to plan B for the FF/24. Anybody have a good plan B?

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 06:33 PM

PM on the way!

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Haha. Good one, mybigwarwagon. Good one.

The FF/24 was a sweet find. Picked it up a few months ago for $260. Fortunately for me, the Craigslist ad didn"t have "FF/24" in the title, otherwise it would have been long gone by the time I saw it. The Onan T260G motor is stuck and also needs a starter. Haven't gotten into it yet. But I found another T260G for $100 that has a broken camshaft. Between the two, I hope to get a good running motor.

There was an FF on CL locally for a long time. Until I had the money to buy it then it disappeared.

I am, sure if you decide to part or sell that GT18 it will find one or several happy homes.

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, the frame is different, but the hoods are nearly identical. In fact I bought the non-running GT/18 with the intention of putting the hood on my FF/24, fixing and selling the Briggs 18 twin motor, adding the wheels to my inventory, using the 44" deck on a late 70's Suburban restoration (if it fits), and parting out/scrapping the rest.

But after looking at the two pics, I can see they aren't the same hood. The FF's "eyes" are slightly farther apart than the GT/18's. But maybe the mounting and overall dimensions are the same. I wanted to avoid repainting the blue FF hood silver and then not having the red craftsman decals to go around it. I thought a complete hood replacement would be easier. But now I'm not sure the GT/18 hood will work at all. If it doesn't, I will definitely fix its Briggs twin motor and resell the GT/18 complete and running.

Then go to plan B for the FF/24. Anybody have a good plan B?

Sure!!! Sell me the FF24!!! ;o}

U S

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 01:34 PM

Plan C: ship the FF to me!

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Plan C: ship the FF to me!

NO I called it first :mad2:

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for downloading the manual. I just picked up a GT-18, 6 spd. along with the matching self powered tiller (8hp.) that is in like new condition and no information came with it.
Thanks for your efforts.

Edited by Cvans, November 21, 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#13 keep it simple OFFLINE  

keep it simple
  • Member No: 21375
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for allowing the download of your GT18 manual. This should help greatly with the restoration my son in law is attempting.

steve

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thank you for allowing the download of your GT18 manual. This should help greatly with the restoration my son in law is attempting.

steve

Welcome to the forum. Glad we had a manual to help you out. Hang around here, lots of helpful folks when the restoration starts. You can open your own thread and show us some pics of it. (Pic help can be found in my signature. Good video showing how to do them.)

#15 jaysgt18 OFFLINE  

jaysgt18
  • Member No: 59024
  • 5 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 11:17 AM

Welcome to the forum, I  didn't see the download, but I have the very same serial number. I also had the same problem with no comp on right side cylinder. I removed spark plugs and poured oil down carb and turned motor over by hand. That freed up the stuck exhaust valve and got it running, but was blowing oil out of breather tube. Upon disassembly the top comp ring was stuck. Hope you get her going. Good Luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, craftsman, gt/18, ff/24