43 replies to this topic

#31 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Unfortunately, the original tire size, 27x9.50x15, is now obsolete. No one carries anything in that size any more.
You can find 8.50 and 10.50 wide tires in turf tread but they're pretty pricey. I don't believe I've seen any ags in either of those sizes.

American Farmer makes or made a 6.50-15 traction implement tire which would work good. Another MTD guy said there are 5.5" wide 15" bailer rims with the same bolt pattern as the 990. Need to check those out.

I have 3 pair of NOS 27x9.50-15 Carlisles Turfs, I might sell a pair.

Edited by AverageJoe, September 18, 2012 - 06:45 PM.

• RAJ said thank you

#32 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 03:13 PM

My tires are getting a little checked, but they all still hold air. If I replace the tires, I would probably try to find ags, but I'll keep that in mind.

#33 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Here's some pics of the new WHITE. As you can see, both front spindles snapped completely off. The tie rods and joints probably all need
to be replaced. It also has the notorious plastic dash syndrome. Other than that, it is very nice. I hope to have spindles soon so I can run it around and try to mow with it a bit and go from there. For all the owners of the MTD, Farm King, WHITE, JCPenney, etc tractors that have broken dashes, there ought to be enough market for someone to get into reproducing them, no?

I have the exact same tractor... I noticed that the spindles seemed cheaply made, and I wondered if there is a problem with them... where's the hole I've heard of that results in a broken frame?

Thanks,

Steve

#34 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:22 PM

My tires are getting a little checked, but they all still hold air. If I replace the tires, I would probably try to find ags, but I'll keep that in mind.

I just went to the Nebraska Tire website... American Farmer tires has a 7.60 x 15 6-ply tubeless ag tire... You'll have to call them for price...

Steve
  • RAJ said thank you

#35 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:11 PM

I am not sure on the weak spot in the frame. I have seen other posts about it. I think it depends on the year and weather the tractor is gear or hydrostatic drive. Someone else correct me if I am wrong. I have not actually looked to see if mine has the issue. This is my first 990 so I am learning as I go. I'll be sure to check out the tires. Thanks!

#36 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:09 AM

The hole in the frame is just in front of the left rear wheel.
We need some input from owners who know for sure what model year their tractors are to figure out for sure when the hole went away. I've seen people with '76 tractors that still had the hole and my '78 doesn't. I don't believe I've seen any '77s so don't know if they have the hole or not??
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#37 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:20 AM

I have that hole in my '73' 990, but it's not broken. I am going to weld it up anyway.

#38 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:41 AM

While we're discussing White and MTD tractors. Does anyone know what diameter the drivline to the tiller should be? Mine has a new driveline--it's about 1 3/4" OD and it rubs against the transaxle and the cross brace for the mower mechanism when the tiller is raised all the way.

US

#39 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:46 PM

I don't see how guys are having trouble with broken spindles, Between Dad and I ,we have or had 14 MTD's and I never seen a broken or cracked spindle, Dad has one that was used to mow in a cemetery, and it bumped tomb stones ever now and then- now has over 5000 hours on it and never had a spindle problem. Did these tractors have loaders or snow blowers up front or were people just running into stuff?
Smitty , I have seen where pto tiller shafts do rub the rears on both the hydro's and the gear drives

#40 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I don't see how guys are having trouble with broken spindles, Between Dad and I ,we have or had 14 MTD's and I never seen a broken or cracked spindle, Dad has one that was used to mow in a cemetery, and it bumped tomb stones ever now and then- now has over 5000 hours on it and never had a spindle problem. Did these tractors have loaders or snow blowers up front or were people just running into stuff?
Smitty , I have seen where pto tiller shafts do rub the rears on both the hydro's and the gear drives

Thanks... others have reported the same. It concerns me--I'm going to try and find a narrower diameter shaft to help avoid this, and also try to install some type of stop so it won't rub the case.

US

#41 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 01:12 PM

My 1650 had a spindle repaired at somepoint with some threaded rod. The repair broke and I think it ended up breaking the good side along with it when it went down. I haven't run the tiller or had it mounted since I've had it, but I can measure it to see what size I have.

#42 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Ebay has a couple of the three hub style spindles listed. One poster is cheaper.  I bought some and the wheels for them, also some on epay same guy now, and installed on mine. They look beefier with better support metal. I like I can unbolt wheels w/out grease all over when handling.

#43 cub1 OFFLINE  

cub1
  • Member No: 26076
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:34 AM

hi there just wanted if you found spindles yet i have a spare axle for a gt 1855 it that helps i am in mid michigan may have a dash also

#44 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:15 PM

The axle / spindles or anything else from an 1855 won't fit a 1650. tractors are a generation apart.