• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Acableguy06 OFFLINE  

Acableguy06
  • Member No: 9481
  • 8 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Here are the ones I was mentioning earlier, unfourtunatly they are more expensive than I thought they were but here ya go.

One link is for 8.5" wide, the other is 10.5" wide...as Canawler mentioned you can not find 9.5" wides

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5ae633a3f4

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53ee3fd270
  • RAJ said thank you

#17 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Just a warning...do some reading before buying skid loader tires. I've seen multiple instances of people buying them for GTs and regretting it.
  • Acableguy06 said thank you

#18 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the tire info. I did pick up this tractor last night and I will try to get some more pics of it soon. It starts and runs well. The seat has some tears and the dash isn't the greatest but it looks clean and straight otherwise. I am excited to start using it! It came with the 3-pt arms but I am now looking for the drawbar attachment for it if anyone has one... If someone has a dash that is damaged but the left side is good, I want to try to make a good one out of two bad ones.

The tractor came with the original sales slip, brochure, manuals and parts books. It was sold on 4/25/1975.
The sales brochure has hand written on it: "$2360.00 you put together" Sounds expensive for back then!

Edited by rajkowski@ymail, August 22, 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#19 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Here's some pics of the new WHITE. As you can see, both front spindles snapped completely off. The tie rods and joints probably all need
to be replaced. It also has the notorious plastic dash syndrome. Other than that, it is very nice. I hope to have spindles soon so I can run it around and try to mow with it a bit and go from there. For all the owners of the MTD, Farm King, WHITE, JCPenney, etc tractors that have broken dashes, there ought to be enough market for someone to get into reproducing them, no?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0046.JPG
  • 100_0048.JPG
  • 100_0047.JPG
  • 100_0049.JPG
  • 100_0044.JPG
  • 100_0043.JPG
  • 100_0042.JPG

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#20 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 09:17 AM

Here's some pics of the new WHITE. As you can see, both front spindles snapped completely off. The tie rods and joints probably all need
to be replaced. It also has the notorious plastic dash syndrome. Other than that, it is very nice. I hope to have spindles soon so I can run it around and try to mow with it a bit and go from there. For all the owners of the MTD, Farm King, WHITE, JCPenney, etc tractors that have broken dashes, there ought to be enough market for someone to get into reproducing them, no?

That looks to be in REALLY nice shape. Not only does it have the original muffler but it still has the original guard.

As far as the reproduction dashes go, there's certainly interest but I think you'll find that very few people would be willing to pay what a new dash would have to cost. It would probably cost more than what most people have into the whole tractor. :thumbs:
I'm constantly seeing people post saying they need such and such a part but whenever someone tries parting one of these tractors out at reasonable prices, everyone disappears.
  • RAJ said thank you

#21 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Funny how that works, isn't it. I talked to a guy that says he can repair the dash and that he's fixed some that were worse than mine, so I will hopefully be able
to have a good looking dash on it to match the rest of the tractor. It's always fun to find nice original unmolested GT's. They keep popping up around
me. The owner of this one actually called ME. I posted an ad "looking for white garden tractors" on craigslist and you already know the rest of the story!

#22 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:16 PM

I always avoided White. Used to have dealer here but he didn't last. I didn't realize the big one was a 990, but can see it now. I would like one of those myself, cool! I like that big tractor design look too. What's the exact model? Didn't they have some neat sales name on them? I can't see in pictures tho, too small. Was same or similar to big tractors, can't seem to recall now.
  • RAJ said thank you

#23 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:51 PM

It is called a Yard Boss GT-1650 and it is neat that they look very similar to the Field Boss farm tractors of the day. The garden tractors for White Farm Equipment were built by Jacobsen prior to 1973 I believe. Apparently there was a falling out between Jacobsen and WFE so they went with MTD to market their outdoor power equipment. Member HALFSCALE knows a lot about the history on these and would be the guy to ask. I haven't been able to use it yet, but I am very excited to start. Everyone I show it to is amazed at how big and heavy built it is. However, most of these people are used to being around Murray and Craftsman mowers so it doesn't really take much to impress them, LOL!

#24 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:53 PM

The large tractors were called Field Boss and the garden tractors were called Yard Boss, The silvers started in 74 and the model prefix started with 990, for example the 10hp GT-1050 was 990-027 the 16hp GT-1600 gear was 990-028 and the hydro 16HP GT-1650 was 990-029.
Whites idea was to bring Oliver, Cockshutt, and Moline under one color, The Field Boss was an Oliver with different sheet metal and an integral cab

I see Jorden can type faster than me,
The only way to get a White was through a Moline ,Oliver ,Cockshutt or White truck dealer,

Edited by HALFSCALE, September 09, 2012 - 10:00 PM.

• RAJ said thank you

#25 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 02:57 PM

I see Jorden can type faster than me,
The only way to get a White was through a Moline ,Oliver ,Cockshutt or White truck dealer,

:rolling:

#26 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Feild Boss, Yard Boss, that's what I was thinking of or NOT, in this case! I had a White Jacobson last year, nice shape, never like the way you sat on it and hydro lever was under your leg and hard to use. Whole thing was kinda small. Sold to another collector for too cheap! I'll keep my eyes out for one of these.

#27 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 11:40 PM

I don't want to make you feel bad, .....but you left one of the rarest tractors slip through your fingers.
The blue town and country were only built one year, 1970. I don't know the actual production numbers and I think it's like the Molines, they really don't know for sure, but I've been told that there were only 1500 of the brochures printed, one for each dealer.

#28 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hearing a story like that makes me sad. There must be a few in Indiana though, I heard a guy has one out there somewhere, but it's a 12hp gear and he wants quite a bit for it. I am trying to track the owner down for one out here in MN that looks like it's been sitting in the woods for a few decades. They are out there, but probably few and far between.

Edited by Rajkowski, September 11, 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#29 N8IWS OFFLINE  

N8IWS

• Member No: 1635
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Joes Outdoor Power parted one out on EBay a few months ago. He may still have a spindle. Good guy to deal with.

He has a set available, just got 3 point arm set from him yesterday. Great guy to work with, has a huge inventory.
  • RAJ said thank you

#30 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out. I am looking for the 3-point draw bar too.