#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 02:38 PM

Does anyone have front spindles for one of these tractors or found a way to repair/reinforce them?
I am looking at picking up a GT1650 with a mower and tiller but the front spindles are broken and
I haven't been able to track any down on CL or ebay yet. Also wondering if anyone has made a
replacement dash or a cover..... or where to get a good one. This White's dash has a crack and a
piece of it missing.

Photo053.jpg
Photo054.jpg
Photo055.jpg

Edited by rajkowski@ymail, August 13, 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'd be wondering how that spindle got broken. If the tractor ran into something it may have more damage that isn't obvious. I made new spindles for my MF8. It's not easy but it can be done if you have a press or bender strong enough to bend one ot the correct angle. If you look in post #20 in this link there are pictures and I give a brief description of how I did it. http://gardentractor...spindle__st__15
  • RAJ said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 04:12 PM

That tractor looks clean, except for the broken spindles. If it's cheap enough, I'd buy it and figure out how to fix the spindles.
  • RAJ said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 06:50 PM

I would check with our site sponsors and see if any of them have the parts you need. I think it's a great looking GT and would like to have one myself. You can always go to a welding/ fab shop and have a set of spindles made.
  • RAJ said thank you

#5 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Makes ya wonder if they dropped it out of a tailgate or something, cause the rest looks pretty good. I'm sure you could find/make/ or get made replacements if the unit is priced reasonable I'd go for it.
  • RAJ said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Well I thought I might have an idea? But your picture does not quite show what I was looking for.
Do you have the part of the spindle that goes through the axle? Does not really matter there are alternatives.

Do a google search for PF Engineering, They sell plans for a homebuilt Loader and Backhoe.
Along with that they show a few ways to beef up the spindles to carry the load of a loader.
I'm mentioning it because as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and will show you far more than I could describe.

In fact here is a link. In the menu on the left side near the bottom is the spindle mod section.
http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/

BTW that White is a GT I've been keeping an eye out for, they are very much under apreciated and rated.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 13, 2012 - 09:39 PM.

• RAJ said thank you

#7 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm not certain, but I think I've read through my internet searching that this is one of the more common problems with these tractors along with the weak spot in the frame. The guy selling it told me that he got it from his "original owner" neighbor and that it was stored inside since new until he got it. He said he was just mowing with it and suddenly almost went over the steering wheel. I wouldn't doubt that it saw a hard bounce to cause them to crack and break. I'm sure they could be repaired or fabricated but just wanted to check before I get too far into it.

He's asking 300.00 for it all - seems like a deal to me unless getting the spindles fixed gets $$$. I did come close to buying one last year that had trans issues but decided to pass on it. They are a cool looking tractor with the bigger wheels. These look very similar to the WHITE tractors of that time too.

Being the plastic dash is such a common problem area with these, I'm hoping someone will come up with a repro or a replacement. There was a guy on a different forum that was in the works of making a mold to reproduce them, but the forum trail came to a dead end quite a while ago. Maybe someday...

Edited by rajkowski@ymail, August 13, 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'd guess the tiller is probably wort the asking price and everything else is gravy.
  • RAJ said thank you

#9 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Joes Outdoor Power parted one out on EBay a few months ago. He may still have a spindle. Good guy to deal with.
  • RAJ said thank you

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think that sucker would already be sitting at the house. If you can't find new spindles you might also go by some older mower repair shop. Some times they have parts tractors sitting out back. That's a nice looking mower and like JD said, the tiller is probably worth that and everything else is gravy.
  • RAJ said thank you

#11 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:57 PM

I agree. The tiller alone is worth the money. I do plan to pick it up sometime next week. I will post some pics of it when I get it home. I contacted Joe's outdoor and he did not have any spindles. There was another parts outfit on ebay selling White parts also. He said he was going to check but that's the last I heard. Does anyone know of a nice 15" ag tire for this tractor? Already making plans and I don't even own it yet!

#12 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:26 PM

If you have the model number from the tractor you can look up the parts on www.partstree.com
They're located in Austin, Texas.

#13 Acableguy06 OFFLINE  

Acableguy06
  • Member No: 9481
  • 8 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 06:40 AM

IDoes anyone know of a nice 15" ag tire for this tractor? Already making plans and I don't even own it yet!

Type the tire size into Ebay search a few different ways. I dont remember the size off hand or I would, But last time I looked they had some ag tires that where take offs from the front tires of the larger 4x4 style tractors. they were selling pairs for about $120 if I remember correctly. These are not the real deep narrow bars in the tread, they are a wider shallower bar, but they would look really cool, and I think would work ok.
  • RAJ said thank you

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:31 AM

That is a pretty good looking tractor.

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Unfortunately, the original tire size, 27x9.50x15, is now obsolete. No one carries anything in that size any more.
You can find 8.50 and 10.50 wide tires in turf tread but they're pretty pricey. I don't believe I've seen any ags in either of those sizes.