• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:46 PM

I took the family up to the farm this weekend, and spent most of the time fixing or using the two tractors I have there. Last time I ran the Cub Cadet 147, I broke the ball joint between the governor and throttle. It took a couple of days and $17, and the local dealer got me the new part.
Posted Image

I have been trying to plow for a fall food plot for the deer. Those deer don't need anymore food. Between our farm and the adjoining farms they have mixed hardwoods, overgrown clear cuts, soybeans, oats, corn, alfalfa, clover, and an overgrown apple orchard. Meh, They will be getting winter wheat, too.
Here is a pic last month, starting the plowing.
Posted Image

After I finished fixing the throttle Saturday, I finished plowing. I plowed from 11:00 until 6:00. I figure I did about a half an acre. It seemed like more while I was doing it. This was the first time this soil was turned in 20 years. I plowed a nest of Yellowjackets without getting stung. I plowed a nest of little bumble bees, and did get stung once. Fortunately, it was pretty cool yesterday, and I had two shirts on, so I didn't get it too bad.

While I was plowing, 6 Swallows were circling me eating the bugs I was disrupting, often getting within a couple of feet of my face. I also had to stop and relocate a Praying Mantis.

As I tried to square up the ends of my plot, all the suspension abuse caught up to me, and I broke a ball joint on the tractor.
I took the family to Tractor Supply and got a new one, the ones marked MTD work for Cub Cadet, by the way.

Once I had that fixed, I borrowed my neighbors spring tooth drag harrow. I finished dragging the plot today. I didn't get any pics of the field after harrowing, but it was much smoother. If my other neighbor gets his disc back next week, I'll disc it. If the cub cadet won't pull his big disc, I'll borrow his 17 year old son and their team of Percherons. Here are his team making hay this summer.
Posted Image
  • daytime dave, KennyP, JDBrian and 1 other said thanks

#2 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:59 PM

After I had enough of farming for the weekend, I turned to our construction project. Last fall I ran a line from our gas well to our house, 280 feet through lots of sandstone.
Posted Image
Since September, the backfilled trench has been settling and getting rained on. The kids and I have been using shovels and rakes, and our hands and the lawn tractor with cart, to pick out the rocks. Today, I figured that the spring tooth harrow would be good for bringing the rocks up, and the front blade would help smooth out the hump. I only had to use the shovel for one big hump, too tall to drive over it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The spring tooth harrow is made with adjustable springs, which can be set to dig in more or less. With wheel weights, filled ags, and 14 horsepower, I had could pull it at its most aggressive setting, only getting stuck if I had the springs dug in and hit a big bump. The neighbor pulls it with one small draft horse, if that tells us anything about horsepower versus horse power.

Now I'm home. My back is sore, my knee is bruised from banging into the steering wheel, and my bee sting itches.
  • daytime dave, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Wow, sorry about the troubles you have had. Thanks for posting the great photographs.

As good as seat time on a GT is, I'll bet it doesn't beat time behind the team.

#4 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:07 PM

I don't mind fixing the tractor. It is so much easier than fixing a car.
We have horses, too, including a draft pony. It is much better to have a friend with horses than to own horses. Same goes for fishing boats, rabbit dogs, and swimming pools.

Here's our pony, right before he tried to kill me with firewood.
Posted Image

He drags deer, too.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 04:35 AM

Hey,thanks for sharing those photos with us.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Looks like you had a full weekend. Glad the Cub was up to the task, with only minor issues. Thanks for sharing!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Thanks for posting the great pictures of your busy weekend. It sounds like you really gave that CC a workout. That's a nice pony even if he did try to kill you! :smile1:

#8 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 09:45 AM

WOW! Busy weekend! Sounds like you were able to get a lot done, even though you had some issues. Lots of great pics! Thanks for sharing!

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for an interesting story. Looks like you accomplished a lot this weekend.

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for sharing your stories and pictures with us. Regarding the Tractor Vs. Horse debate, I ask my boys which is heavier, the horse or the tractor. Then I'll point out that no matter how powerful the engine, the lighter tractor just can't pull what a horse pulls.
PS I just realized a horse also has "On Demand Four Hoof Drive"!

Edited by HowardsMF155, August 13, 2012 - 11:29 AM.