7 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:21 PM

So here is my problem: I am rebuilding a Peerless 915 012B but I dropped the neutral collar while I was cleaning & inspecting it. It has a notch cut out of one end (green oval).

Here is the first question: Is it on correctly or does the notch go towards the reverse gear?

Here is the second question: Do I have the large gear (red arrow) on correctly?

Attached Thumbnails

• neutral spacer.jpg
  • neutral spacer better view.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, August 12, 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Have you downloaded the manual for Peerless transmissions. It gives pretty detailed instructions for dis/re assembly. Heres the link to the manual download. http://gardentractor...drive-products/
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Yes, I have a copy of that manual, albeit from a different source. I did read the removal & installation sections before posting the questions.

It isn't much help for the neutral collar. It seems to switch between the terms neutral collar & neutral spacer. The re-install is "... push the neutral spacer over the end of the keys and pull the neutral spacer and reverse gear up against the snap ring." It doesn't mention the notch and the accompanying diagram does not show the notch. I'll lost on that one.

As for question 2, the manual is better. It say to "... place the shifting gear onto the shaft with the flat side next to the neutral collar." I think that means mine is on backwards. However, I didn't drop it and it went back in the way it came out.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, August 12, 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 05:20 AM

I've never had one apart. The only suggestion I can offer is too look for a wear pattern on the sides of the gears that are against the 2 sides of the collar. I'd also look at both sides of that large gear to see if one side is shaped to fit into that notch in the collar. I just had a look at the manual and it doesn't show a notch on the collar. Do you know if someone else has had this apart in the past? If you were having problems with shifting it could be it was not assembled correctly and the large gear was in there wrong. It seems to me that if that notch is supposed to come into play by fitting into a corresponding groove and isn't, then you will not be able to assemble the shaft in the case because the gear assembly would be too long. Hopefully someone will come along who has been inside one of these before.
Another suggestion would be to find a parts diagram that may show more detail on how it's assembled.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 05:36 AM

I found a parts breakdown here:
http://www.odref.com...15-915-012B.PDF
Maybe that will help.

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the diagram, KennyP. It is part 18 that we are talking about, but it doesn't show a notch on that diagram either.

I will follow the suggestions from JDBrian until someone else posts a better idea. In reply, no, I don't know whether it has ever been apart before. However, there was no gasket material (or scratches) but it was covered in "patina" aka crud. I agree, having the big gear in backwards could be what snapped the shifter.

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 01:45 PM

So, here is what I know after looking at the transaxle, the instructions, and the diagram in close proximity to one another: yes, the large gear was on backwards, but so was the reverse gear. Odd that.

I still don't know which way the spacer should go, but I do remember an old saying from my aircraft days: things that matter get written down. The flip side of that is, obviously, things that don't, don't. I flipped it end for end, but only because it looked better that way.

Anyway, with the big gear, reverse gear and neutral spacer all "assembled properly", it shifts like a dream.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 02:59 PM

It could be that they used that spacer in more than 1 tranny and it may need the notch for another application. Sounds like you have it sorted out!