• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 02:52 PM

I was talking with the owner of a very old Farm yesterday. He had done research on some of their farming & building techniques and the lunar cycles came up. One of the things an older club member pointed out was the use of Lunar cycles to stimulate growth. He phrased it this way:

If the plant is a root crop, like potatoes, plant when the moon is darkening...
if it's an above ground crop, plant it when it's getting brighter.

I did a little looking around & found a reference materials site on the topic.
Nearly devoid of mumbo-jumbo & Ouija Board discussions, it discusses 10 year studies and 50's-60's research that supported what our ancestors seemed to have figured out hundreds of years ago.
The site is selling a software that figures out the best dates to plant what crops, but I was more interested in the generalities and the information contained in the website for free.

Lunar Planting Overview
http://www.gardening...lunarfacts.html

Lunar Phases explanation

Home Page:
http://www.gardening....com/index.html

I also found a comment on a site about the best time to water beyond sustaining the plant being during a waning moon.

I wonder if there is anything to it, but if I can get myself organized for next year, It would be worth the experiment.
  • daytime dave, caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 02:54 PM

Those planting practices have been around for eons. Nice to find something written to use.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 02:58 PM

I've always used the "I've got the time" approach... but if there is a substantial improvement, it'd be worth making the time when I "should"

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Alan, I am going to get the Fall planting guide for zone1 and try it this fall. I have always used the Farmers Almanac to plant by, but have been all messed up since I moved to TEXAS.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Didn't they tell you that the Almanac doesn't work in Texas?
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:21 PM

Didn't they tell you that the Almanac doesn't work in Texas?

No, no one told me that.. :(

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, Texas is a whole different world! Everything is different there!
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Cool Alan,thanks for posting this for us.

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:21 PM

What happens if it is time to plant tomatoes and your expecting a frost? Do you have to wait a whole other month to try again?

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 03:02 PM

What happens if it is time to plant tomatoes and your expecting a frost? Do you have to wait a whole other month to try again?

No, you plant them and then cover with a suitable something or other. Like a bucket if they're small enough plants.

My curiosity lies in whether or not they count starting the seeds as "planting" or if they just mean the putting them in the ground.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Alan, some pretty good stuff there. Thanks for posting it.

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 12:41 AM

I rent some land from a ice ole farmer lady.. She swears by that stuff.. Won't even let me brush mow unless its the right time of the month..

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 07:01 AM

I was talking with the owner of a very old Farm yesterday. He had done research on some of their farming & building techniques and the lunar cycles came up. One of the things an older club member pointed out was the use of Lunar cycles to stimulate growth. He phrased it this way:

I did a little looking around & found a reference materials site on the topic.
Nearly devoid of mumbo-jumbo & Ouija Board discussions, it discusses 10 year studies and 50's-60's research that supported what our ancestors seemed to have figured out hundreds of years ago.
The site is selling a software that figures out the best dates to plant what crops, but I was more interested in the generalities and the information contained in the website for free.

Lunar Planting Overview

Lunar Phases explanation

Home Page:
http://www.gardening....com/index.html

I also found a comment on a site about the best time to water beyond sustaining the plant being during a waning moon.

I wonder if there is anything to it, but if I can get myself organized for next year, It would be worth the experiment.

There is something to it, although we have ways of over-riding much of it these days. Phases of the moon do affect weather to some extent...the closer you live to a coast, the more effect they have. They are also the way ancient cultures marked time, and some plants are more frost-resistant than others, some months tend to have more rain at the beginning or the end, etc..

Ancient cultures didn't have greenhouses, bedding plants, reliable irrigation, chemical fertilization, weed and insect control, and so on though. They also developed methods for their own small areas...you might find (I haven't checked), that some cultures offered different, even opposite, lunar advice because they live in different places. They did figure out a lot of things though...everything from charcoal fertilization to crude irrigation to planting late enough to avoid frost or early enough to avoid certain insects. These people lacked our technology, but their brains were the same size as ours. They weren't stupid.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 08:25 AM

I don't doubt for a minute that those practices are useful and mostly right. When they were developed people lived on the talnd and off the land and relied on it for their survival. They were there all the time and honestly observed nature all day every day.
I don't pay much attention to the lunar phases, not because I don't believe it is benificial but because I spend 50 hrs a week away from my home and property. And therefore have to plant, and work my garden when I'm there.
An example would be that the old timers insisted that planting potatoes had to be done on Good Friday. I did that this year but the drought ha negated any objective observation this year. Another was my grandfathers practice of planting corn when the leaves on an elm tree were the size of a squirrels ear.
I would like to see some of you try it and report on your experience next year.

And Reverend Blair, I completely agree that formal education, has little or nothing to do with intellegence.
My granddad was far from dumb, though he only went through the 2nd grade in school and spent the rest of his life on the farm.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 14, 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I rent some land from a ice ole farmer lady.. She swears by that stuff.. Won't even let me brush mow unless its the right time of the month..

Sorry, but that flat out cracked me up!:D More to the point... My Grandfather stressed to me the importance of fishing and hunting according to the "Solunar Tables" http://www.fieldands...es_weather_hunt and I found he was very right. In this day of "electronic information" we're losing lots of lore that's based deeply in human day to day experience. As an experiment once I kept track of activity periods of my house cats. Usually they started cutting up right on a major or minor solunar event time. Like with dowsing, you can laugh but you can't argue with historic sucess down through the ages.