• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 virginiacubfan OFFLINE  

virginiacubfan
  • Member No: 10791
  • 51 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:27 PM

I was wondering if there is any possible way or trick to do away with the variator on a 212? I have a nice one that I am going to eventually rebuild and I am not a huge fan of the variator, but if I have to keep it no big deal. I would love your input. Thanks.

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:48 PM

IIRC - The 200/208 did not have the variator set-up as the rest of the 200 series. Swap parts over to the 212 and go from there would be my educated guess.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! If you would like some service info on that 212 send me a Private message and I may be able to help.

#4 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 02:12 PM

Sorry i can't be any help with by passing the variator, but i am curious as to what you don't like about it. The few people that i know with them really like them and wouldn't want there tractor without one. I haven't used one personally,(my 110 is still waiting its turn for a resto) but it sure sounds like a nice feature....

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'm not sure how John Deere implemented the variator, but on the Masseys that use it, the variator lever doubles as a parking brake and clutch. Not to mention that the variator is used as a clutch by the right side pedal. Further problems would include the belt, again, the Masseys used a special wide belt, so you would either have to change the engine and transaxle pulleys or else find an intermediate pully that matches the wide belt width. Because of the intermediate pulley/variator, the engine pulley and the transaxle pulley don't line up.

#6 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:16 PM

All the variator does on the 200 series is just what it says by adjusting the lever position you can go faster or slower depending which gear your in,sounds like quite a departure from the massey's that you're used to.Give it a try I think you'll find it a valuable feature. :thumbs:

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Here are some additional thoughts...

As a life-long Deere user, I find the variable speed to be a great feature. While it is a bit of pain to get adjusted, once you figure it out it is not hard at all. This feature give the user quite a bit more control of the tractor speed. Get a factory service manual and give a proper adjustment before you toss it to the curb.