Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Steamy, Yummy Cro-sonts For Breakfast (aka Manfood By Littletractorguy!)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• Member No: 2220
  • 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well, Littletractorgal has been working hard on canning and pickling, and doing up huge posts for HER blog about what she does for canning... And I'm starting to feel a bit, um, left out here... So....

I thought, hey, why don't I start posting some of the amazing recipes I have in MY culinary repertoire?!?! Lets start with my award-winning breakfast croissants (that's crescent rolls, for you non-French speakers... because, of course, calling them something hard to pronounce makes them yummier!)

Step 1 - Go shopping to the grocery store WITHOUT your wife (or if she's there, and sees you pulling suspicious things off the pre-made baked goods shelf, tell her you're going to make her breakfast in bed!). You're looking for the things that come in the tube that looks like this:

Posted Image

(Well, SORT of like that... I'm not trying to be brand-neutral or anything, I just didn't think to start taking pictures until after I'd started assembly...)

Step 2 - Open the tube. As these things are vacuum-sealed, this step MAY require safety goggles... It certainly gets your heart-rate up, early in the morning, because there's no guarantee about what exactly will make that little tube of goodness go -POP!-... I've found, over the years, that if I peel the label off and then twist in a diametrically opposed direction on either end, I can USUALLY control the process well enough to prevent too much flying debris. Remove the dough from the tube...

Posted Image
(this is what your tube should look like AFTER removal of the dough... )

Step 1a - find a baking sheet to put the dough on... Experience will teach you to do this step in the proper order...

Step 3 - Assemble the pre-perforated triangles of dough into the rolled up crescent rolls on the baking sheet. Sorry, I don't have pictures of this crucial assembly step, as, again, I forgot to start taking pictures... But some advice I CAN give you is - Start rolling them from the wide end! This is very important!

ADVANCED STEPS - At this point, once you've been through the whole process a couple of times, you can start doing some customization to the rolls. For example, one family favorite is to place grated cheese on top of the raw dough and roll it in, to make CHEESY rolls! IMPORTANT NOTE - the rolls do NOT hold a lot of cheese, so be aware of how much is being added.

Here's the assembled rolls on the baking sheet, ready to go into the oven:

Posted Image

Step 4 - Bake the rolls in the oven at 375 degrees for 11-13 minutes. The amount of time is a subject of heated debate, as some family members like the rolls a little gooey in the middle and some don't. Careful trials and experimentation is required to find the perfect baking time. This may also vary by oven, so your mileage may vary.

Step 5 - Remove from oven. This is a VERY IMPORTANT STEP!

Posted Image

Note, it is very important to space the rolls out properly on the baking sheet, in order that traumatic things like THIS don't happen during the baking process... The rolls tend to expand when cooked...

Posted Image

Viola! (That's French again...) The finished, delicious product! Enjoy with spreads such as margarine, or (if you're feeling up-scale) jam!!

Posted Image

(the little green thing is a sprig of basil, apparently... You don't HAVE to eat it, but LTGal thought it would make things look more, um, Haute Cuisine...)
  • John@Reliable, KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 11:14 AM

Wow, LTG you make it look so easy :smilewink:

P.S. Could I put sugar and cinnamon on dough before shaping into a croissants?

#3 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Oooooohhh, I dunno... That depends on whether you intend to mix them BEFORE application, or whether you are going to do two separate applications. If you decide to pre-mix, you WILL need some additional hardware, such as a mixing bowl and POSSIBLY a spoon. This does add a significant amount of effort to the post-event cleanup, so be aware. Personally, I'd vote for the two separate applications, but I've never actually TRIED anything beyond grated cheese so I'm not sure what sort of chemical reactions might occur, or whether you'd need to prep the dough surface at all...
  • John@Reliable and KennyP have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Well, Littletractorguy at least you won't starve!
It also sounds like you could be a little dangerous in the kitchen! You did have me and the wife laughing pretty loud!

#5 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 01:31 PM

THIS JUST IN! Littletractorgal informs me that, if you are going to apply cinnamon and sugar, you should consider using BUTTER in the mix... possibly as a mixing agent... Although this would be really stretching my limits... She DID suggest THIS RECIPE, for something called Monkey Bread... However, I'm not sure I'm willing to move up to exotic ingredients like powdered monkey...

Well, Littletractorguy at least you won't starve!
It also sounds like you could be a little dangerous in the kitchen! You did have me and the wife laughing pretty loud!

Why, yes, as a matter of fact, many people DO consider me dangerous in the kitchen, for some reason.... In my defense, my cooking has only sent us to the hospital ONCE. And no stitches were required (the doc gave in when I insisted on the super-glue stuff... It was only a TINY cut. On the upside, I'm all prepped for working with old rusty tractors since my tetanus is all up to date...).
  • KC9KAS said thank you

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 01:43 PM

French? Croy-sant? Hot Cwiscene? That's not Man Food! I bet you hold it with your pinkie finger sticking out!!!

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 01:51 PM

Sounds like good food to me! Ever tried sausage biscuits?

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like good food to me! Ever tried sausage biscuits?

Kenny, that my friend I think would really put him over the edge of skills needed :smilewink:
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have JUST been informed that I did, in fact, miss out on step 5a, TURN OFF THE OVEN... No really, I missed that step in my directions, AND LTGal tells me she turned the oven off for me 40 minutes after we finished the crescent rolls.

Pshaw, I'M not dangerous in the kitchen! Not at all!

#10 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 02:28 PM

I have JUST been informed that I did, in fact, miss out on step 5a, TURN OFF THE OVEN... No really, I missed that step in my directions, AND LTGal tells me she turned the oven off for me 40 minutes after we finished the crescent rolls.

Pshaw, I'M not dangerous in the kitchen! Not at all!

I always tell my wife, if you can read you can cook! Took her mother 40 years to get it right, so there's still hope.
When my kids want a good meal, I hear, Daddy, can you please cook tonight, :thumbs:
P.S. Even wife asks me, what should we bring, or what are you making if we need to bring something,somewhere.
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Sausage biscuits need a couple more steps, LTG probably couldn't handle that! I thinking sausage/cheese crosants.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Those look good. You've made me hungry and I've got to go get a snack!

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Sounds good. The Wife has made those with Smokies rolled inside. Not bad either.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Very interesting post. I wspecially liked where you used viola for here it is. ThaT's A kind of fiddle is'nt it.

The daughter mkes the Monkey Bread with frozen biscuits for the gArNDKIDS every Christmas morning

#15 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Very interesting post. I wspecially liked where you used viola for here it is. ThaT's A kind of fiddle is'nt it.

The daughter mkes the Monkey Bread with frozen biscuits for the gArNDKIDS every Christmas morning

Oh mon Dieu! Is my Canadian face red!!! You are correct sir! It should have been "voila"! Zut alors! The viola, she is, indeed, Italian!