Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Well, I just talked with the PO of the two Fords I just bought and he can't find the fender pan for the 165...in fact he's not sure he ever got it from the PPO (Previous Previous Owner).

Anyway, I've looked on Ebay and elsewhere, and the pans are pretty cheap, but the freight drives the price over $200. The ones I've found have been back East, or the Central States--Illinois, Michigan, etc.

Does anyone in the Pacific Coast or Western States have a fender pan???

Steve

#92 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Personally, I would fix the older 165. It steers WAY Better than the newer 165, but not with a loader on it! The newer style has shorter pit man arm thus taking more turns to make it turn stop to stop. ;)

Keith

Do you have pics of how you put the valve in your LGT, or is it in a thread on the forum somewhere?

Thanks,

Steve

#93 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:24 AM

Its all on my photo bucket account . There is a pile of pics from the valve all the way through.
I saw on flea bay a steering valve off of a 195? That is WAY EASIER to install than the orbital units are .
http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=107360 here is the link to my power steering project. Its a cool one for sure.

Edited by skyrydr2, September 15, 2012 - 06:01 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#94 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well, I got the JD K341 swapped over and put back into the frame. I had to bevel the motor mount flanges quite a bit, but it fits. Still haven't started it up... need to do the electrical hook up and put some gas in a gas tank.

I was going to just swap over the engine from the open-sided LGT 165 I have, so I put oil in it and cranked it a few times to get the oil distributed. It did the same thing my H70 Tecumseh did--it would rotate two turns, pause like it was trying to turn, then eventually turn around. When I pulled the plug it turned around without hesitation. I rotated the crank back and forth and it seems to have a little "play" before you feel reisistance. Makes me think the conn rod is worn.

Anyway, as I was working on the open side LGT165, I noticed that the spindles are larger in diameter than on the closed sided LGT 165. The bigger spindles appear to be 1" in diameter. I know that there was a spindle upgrade kit for Ford with loaders, and this tractor had a FEL (which I now own), and also a backhoe (which I don't own... darn it!!).

Does anyone know if this is what the upgrade kit looks like?

2012-09-23_13-56-02_75.jpg 2012-09-23_13-56-06_966.jpg