93 replies to this topic

#76 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:11 PM

I guess I'll have to make a bushing... it seems that I saw those for sale once, along with a modified key that was rectangular so it engaged both the crankshaft and the hub completely.

Small engine warehouse sells a bushing and key kit for around $20. Call and ask them about it.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#77 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 11:03 PM

Well, the LGT165 looks a little forlorn without it's engine, or front tin....

LGT165 RH.jpg

But,,, I managed to round up some relatives to keep it company, and a new toy...

LGT Parts 1.jpg

LGT Loader 1.jpg

LGT Loader  2.jpg

I also got to see some neat tractors I've never seen before.

Struck Frt.jpg

Struck Mower 2.jpg Struck Mower.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• SS16_18 LH.jpg

#78 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,489 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Oh man your going to love that loader and the neighbors are going to love knowing you have it. You will have friends all up and down the street after they see you using that thing. :thumbs:

#79 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 08:47 PM

Oh man your going to love that loader and the neighbors are going to love knowing you have it. You will have friends all up and down the street after they see you using that thing. :thumbs:

I'm excited about it... Th LGT 14 has a rear PTO and 3 point hitch.. The new machines are older style open sides-- do you know if those parts can be swapped over to my closed side LGT16?

#80 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,489 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 09:06 PM

do you know if those parts can be swapped over to my closed side LGT16?

No I don't. After I pulled the engine out of mine I haven't done anymore with it and my knowledge is very limited about these Fords.
I'll bet someone will be along shortly to fill you in though.

#81 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm excited about it... Th LGT 14 has a rear PTO and 3 point hitch.. The new machines are older style open sides-- do you know if those parts can be swapped over to my closed side LGT16?

What's the model # of the LGT 14? If you have pics of the hitch and PTO, I may be able to figure it out for you.
But if it's a Gilson built tractor, it may be a bit of a challenge. They are totally different.

#82 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Steve, did those hoods in one of the pics above happen to come off that 14? If so then yes it will all fit right on, only need minor fiddlingwith the shaft center bearings. BUT BUT if it came from a gilson made LGT then only a few part's MIGHT work?

#83 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:21 AM

There are too many GT 14's out there to say for sure with out pics of the machine. What little of the Gilson made manuals I have show a totally different machine. When you mentioned a 'newer' open side, I thought Gilson.

#84 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Steve, did those hoods in one of the pics above happen to come off that 14? If so then yes it will all fit right on, only need minor fiddlingwith the shaft center bearings. BUT BUT if it came from a gilson made LGT then only a few part's MIGHT work?

There are too many GT 14's out there to say for sure with out pics of the machine. What little of the Gilson made manuals I have show a totally different machine. When you mentioned a 'newer' open side, I thought Gilson.
-----------------------
The hoods came off the LGT 14 and LGT 16 I just bought to keep my tractor company ;o}
The new 14 and 16 are open sided models with the oil pan welded into the frame. My first LGT (the one I'm swapping engines on and had to weld the pan) is a closed side model with the engine held in a frame with rubber mounts.

The frames themselves are similar--both tubular with an upsweep at the rear. I'd like to get the newer LGT16 set up with the Pto and 3 point hitch.

I may have found a buyer for the swap in engine(from a JD300). If so, I may use the engine from the older LGT 16. They both have gear drive starters, and double sheave PTOs, so I assume they are the same block... am I right?

#85 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:07 AM

Congrats! Sounds like you just got some parts for that closed side tractor. With the same frame (other than weld-in oil pan) they should bolt right up. I would think the other 16 HP would bolt to your pan, at least I am hoping so. With the spec # off it, you should be able to see real quick.
The PTO shaft can take a bit of tweaking to get all those bearings lined up. I left the centers loose until I had the ends set right. Then shimmed the centers to allow free rotation of the shaft. It's easier to do with the right rear wheel off. Same goes for the 3-point cross shaft. Might want it on before the PTO shaft in case you need to adjust for free rotation there too.
Good luck with the goodies!

#86 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Personally, I would fix the older 165. It steers WAY Better than the newer 165, but not with a loader on it! The newer style has shorter pit man arm thus taking more turns to make it turn stop to stop. ;)

#87 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Personally, I would fix the older 165. It steers WAY Better than the newer 165, but not with a loader on it! The newer style has shorter pit man arm thus taking more turns to make it turn stop to stop. ;)

Other than the rear fenders and seat pan, I have 3 potential running tractors-- If I understand you, you would use the older LGTs for plowing, mowing, etc., because they turn quicker, but use the newer LGT for the loader because it is easier to turn the wheels with weight on them. Is that right??

#88 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 05:33 AM

Yup! Or find the steering valve and cylinder set up off a LGT 195 and put: it on the newer 165 then you will have something really sweet .
The older units are a bit lighter in the nose too
So not only does the steering turn quicker, its also easier on the steering box .
If you put a loader on one you will definitely
want power steering.And the closed sided rig is the easiest to do this on. As you can get all the goodies from a jd and make them fit. ;). :)

#89 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yup! Or find the steering valve and cylinder set up off a LGT 195 and put: it on the newer 165 then you will have something really sweet .
The older units are a bit lighter in the nose too
So not only does the steering turn quicker, its also easier on the steering box .
If you put a loader on one you will definitely
want power steering.And the closed sided rig is the easiest to do this on. As you can get all the goodies from a jd and make them fit. ;). :)

I've found several JD Pwr Steering valves on Ebay, but am not sure which one is best... some are like a rack and pinion steering gearf with a cylinder, some have 5 ports and exit from the bottom, others exit from the sides...

Which should I use?

#90 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:38 AM

The 5 port one is what I have on mine. Be sure it is from a garden tractor or it will be way too large.