• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:18 PM

We have a lot of old water pipes in Halifax as well. They are being replaced as part of a upgrading program. They are financing this through the water bill which has seen major increases recently. I'm not on city service but have my own well/pump so i haven't been hit with the big increases.

#62 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Breaks cause issues all over the place, the lack of pressure when its off allows joints that have had constant pressure to back off. When its pumped back up, that slight movement will make stuff leak. A little leak now, in a week, a gusher. Considering the age, the main is probably cast iron instead of ductile. Very brittle at that age, especially when the pressure is off.

No need for bottled water, your toilet has a tank, doesn't it?

Edited by Cat385B, August 22, 2012 - 08:40 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#63 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Breaks cause issues all over the place, the lack of pressure when its off allows joints that have had constant pressure to back off. When its pumped back up, that slight movement will make stuff leak. A little leak now, in a week, a gusher. Considering the age, the main is probably cast iron instead of ductile. Very brittle at that age, especially when the pressure is off.

No need for bottled water, your toilet has a tank, doesn't it?

That's how I usually figure out it's off, flush and no fill. Then the tank is empty. LOL

#64 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:15 AM

With the ground so dry around here I expect a lot more of this. My front door is citing up as well.

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 07:03 AM

I hope it dries so I can dress some of it before rain gets here this weekend. I'll take a look this afternoon.

#66 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 10:25 AM

The city showed up yesterday to fill the holes. The guy with the backhoe (JD 310) scooped some dirt in the hole behind my fence. I backed the Ford through the gate so He could see the Box blade. I told him I would finish dressing it up if he didn't care. He said "go for it!" So I worked over and got it smoothed pretty good. The other hole still had a lot of water in it which they pumped out all the could. He used the backhoe to scoop dirt into it, but couldn't get close enough to smooth it much. To heavy, plus water was still seep up into the fresh fill. I told him I would see what I could do with it after it dried some more. He agreed, as his tractor was just too heavy to do anything but make more ruts. So, next weekend I may have pics of the Ford in action, Here's what it looks like right now. The spot behind my house is ready for sod and they will turn in a work order for it.
Image014a.jpg Image015.jpg
Image016.jpg Image017.jpg

#67 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Woo hoo seat time.

#68 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Youbetcha! I'll have fun with that second hole! I sure do like the limited slip in the Ford's rear axle. Helps a lot. One of these days, I'll load the tires.