32 replies to this topic

#31 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 10:32 AM

One fun thing that happened was I got to talking about Gravelys with my Uncle.  I knew Granddaddy had purchased the first one, but by talking with my uncle I found out that it occurred sometime in the late 1940s, probably 1948.  Granddaddy had heard about them and talked to a local store about getting one.  I don't know if that would have been a dealership, or what.  Anyway the local store owner didn't have one, but knew there were some over in the Roanoke area and volunteered to take Granddaddy over to look at some.  My uncle went with Granddaddy and the store owner, it was probably a good three hour trip at that time, and once Granddaddy had looked the Gravely over, cranked one and drove it, he bought it and brought it home.  My understanding is that he only purchased the ground saw attachment with it as he wanted it primarily to clear some land.  From what I've heard, this would have marked his first foray into gas powered farm equipment, as I know Dad grew up using mules or horses for farm chores until Granddaddy bought a 1953 Ford Jubilee tractor in 1953.gravely_walkbehind_saw_attachment_150_centerburg_oh_10713471.jpg

I think I'm lucky I don't have a couple of relatives with no feet!

More pics from Monday.

GE 056.JPG GE 057.JPG

GE 058.JPG GE 098.JPG

GE 103.JPG

• sacsr said thank you

#32 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Granddaddy died when I was very young, about 2 or 3 I think, so I never really knew him except through my Dad and the things he would say Granddaddy would say:

"There is a little maxim which often should be preached, don't cross the bridge before you until that bridge is reached"

"There's more ways to kill a dog than choking him with butter" (Rather bleak)

"Don't go off half-cocked"

It was nice to be standing on ground he worked listening to stories from the past. 

• MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#33 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Finally, a little bit of video I was able to get uploaded.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

• sacsr said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gravely, road, mud, rain, ditches