• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Those kind of days are sure tough, but give lasting memories, and not all bad. :thumbs:
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 01:47 PM

:iagree: Without a doubt when my boys are home it those "war stories" that get remembered :laughingteeth:
Now where is that quote ? " A bad day tractor driving is better than a good day at work" ?

Ya got me on that one!

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 01:52 PM

It may not have been the best day to bond with the boys, but in time they will look back on this day with great pride.

#19 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 02:12 PM

War stories....Got another one involving tractors and rain and a young boy's error.
When Dad wasn't using the tractor on our farm, he would often make it available to the surrounding villagers for a small fee. I'm not sure if it was enough to cover the cost of diesel, let alone wear and tear on the tractor and the cost of the driver. Anyway, he took me along to check on the progress at a village that wasn't very far over the property edge of the farm, probably between 4 and 6 miles of dirt road. Turned out that the driver was close to finishing, I think we may have needed to repair or adjust something, then we waited to make sure the job was done. Took a good part of the afternoon, all told. At one point, Dad sent me to the truck for something, probably a Coke for the two of us, and gave me the keys. Once the driver finished that particular field, there was no more work there, so Dad asked if I wanted to drive the tractor home. In spite of what looked like an approaching storm, I said "YES!", it wasn't like I had never been rained on before. So off I went, and very shortly, down came the rain. Dad later found that storm dropped over 3 inches of rain on us. I drove and drove, got wetter and wetter, water pooling in the dirt tracks was being splashed all over me by the wheels, and it was completely dark. Dad never passed me on the way home, and I assumed he had gone up to the main asphalt road, over a few miles, then followed our main road (well graded and maintained-it was possible to drive 45 mph without being beat to death) . I arrived home, still no sign of Dad, went in and bathed and dried off. By this time both my mother and I were worried and we had some guests arriving. One of them volunteered to drive me back to the village, so off we went again into the night and the rain. We found the truck still at the village, and Dad had taken shelter with the local people. With no keys, he had been able to pick the lock and open the cab, then crawled under the truck to hot wire it.......Then got stuck in the mud before he could go very far. We called it a night and went home, then returned in the morning with the tractor to pull the truck out. I probably deserved more punishment than I received, because I really don't remember being punished. While I remember driving through the rain, headlights barely showing in front of the tires, lightening flashing through the sky, I don't remember the tractor ride back very well. It just wasn't as exciting.
  • caseguy, Cvans, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 11:47 AM

Sounds like both of you suffered through more than your share of trials that night. I'll bet that shower felt really good when you got home. And your poor father out there with no keys and then getting stuck. What a night.
This will be a story your grandkids will enjoy hearing.

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 12:06 PM

We had a saying in the Army "Embrace the suck". You and the kids wont remember the time you told them to go mow the yard, but they will never forget the day in the rain. So embrace the suck of the other day and dont believe the weatherman.

Great story!
  • HowardsMF155 and Moosetales have said thanks

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,708 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 12:37 PM

AH those bonding memories. As I remember some of mine they weren't so great at the time but years later you look back on them recall them with a smile on your face.

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 12:44 PM

Howard, sounds like a recurring issue of caught in the rain. Glad all was repaired and no one got hurt too bad, just their pride lol. Better luck next time.

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Howard, sounds like a recurring issue of caught in the rain. Glad all was repaired and no one got hurt too bad, just their pride lol. Better luck next time.

Getting caught in the rain! What is it about this week? I was out today with my "Dump" Massey helping out some friends in the neighborhood who are having trouble cutting their lawns and the bottom drops out! Thank goodness I was able to get to shelter before being soaked, but I still had to dry the seat off before I could go home 20 minutes later.

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Howard, it may be time to refer to your signature LOL.

#26 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Howard, I'm a day late and a dollar short in reading your thread but it was well worth the read. Thanks for sharing.

#27 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 18, 2013 - 06:33 AM

We had a saying in the Army "Embrace the suck". You and the kids wont remember the time you told them to go mow the yard, but they will never forget the day in the rain. So embrace the suck of the other day and dont believe the weatherman.

Great story!

Love the saying. I don't have military roots but I sure can identify with the saying. I just might have to make myself a t-shirt (or two) to remind me of this saying. :thumbs:

#28 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Visited the farm in Virginia again today.  My uncle has been so impressed by the road on our property he wanted me to cut down the undergrowth on one of his roads.  So we met him this morning and spent a couple of hours cleaning a road up for him.  Two Gravelys with 30 inch decks just mowed down the pine saplings.  I rotated with my two boys, so everyone got to do some cutting.  Pine trees up to 6 ft and over an inch in diameter, push 'em over and grind 'em up!

The day wasn't completely drama free.  One of the tractors got almost back to the road and according to the boy driving it "just sputtered and died"  Couldn't get it to restart, so we left it and went across the way to our property.  I actually had three tractors with me, two on the trailer and one in the back of the truck.  So, unloaded the backup tractor across the way, cut our land, cleared a large tree that fell across the road some time in the last year and cleared the camping area.

The best news was when we went back for the dead Gravely and it cranked on the second pull and we could drive it onto the trailer.

GE 106.JPG GE 103.JPG

GE 101.JPG GE 100.JPG

GE 051.JPG GE 050.JPG

GE 054.JPG

• MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#29 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Looks like a hard working crew you have there.    Regards....Fluid

#30 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hey, you might have had one putter out on you, but at least this time it didnt drown your phone and camera.

:thumbs: on a good looking crew and good looking equipment. Glad you had a productive day.

So, unloaded the backup tractor across the way

A sure fire sign of an experienced addict... Always remember the "spare" tractor. :rolling:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gravely, road, mud, rain, ditches