• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Nice.. those rear tires look nasty on there!! :thumbs: I'm kinda surprised the wheels from an ATV had the same bolt pattern and just bolted right onto the Bolens. Looks much better with the original seat than that mess he had on there. Can't wait to see it after you get a chance to paint it and reassemble it. Good luck!

#17 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:20 PM

The wheels are actually off of a gt. The tires are ITP atv tires. Thats why the wheels swapped right onto the bolens. The little fenders just clear and it looks great, in my opinion. Im stopping by tractor supply tomorrow hoping to find alittle better front tire selection.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#18 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 06:19 AM

Well the "mutt" kicked my Butt last night. Steering wheel nut would not come off, so I heated it, then when I backed the nut off it somehow stripped the threads, or the p.o. had cross threaded it. Then I tried repairing the threads and the end of the steering shaft snapped off in my tap. Not I good night in the shop. But I have come up with a decent Idea for repair, and it kinda goes with my puller/hot rod theme. I may not update for awhile now due to a busy schedule, and vacation for my wife and I coming up. So dont anyone worry about me and my mutt!!LOL!

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 06:58 AM

Sorry to hear of the problems. Good luck with the repair! Enjoy the vacation!

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Those tires look real serious. Too bad about the steering shaft. Steering wheels can be a major pain to remove. I'll be watching for your repair!

#21 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Have a good vacation and come back refreshed and with a clear head to tackle the mutt Bolens! Sorry to hear about the steering wheel problems. Why did you need to take it off in the first place though, I'm wondering? If you were dismantling the whole tractor, I've seen people take off the whole steering column in one piece with the steering wheel still attached. Or was there some other problem with it (besides the evidently stripped threads)? Good luck with fixing it though!

#22 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 12:38 PM

I was removing the wheel to repair or replace it, and for paint purposes. Thanks all for the vacation wishes, we leave friday, so just maybe I can sneek a few more hours of quality bolens time in before I leave.

#23 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hello Everyone,
I managed to sneek in some quality Bolens Mutt time before my vacation! I actually moved forward on the project, rather than backward like the other day. I managed to repair the broken steering column, and add alittle hot rod/puller styling. I ended up sandwiching the chrome steering wheel with 2 big, thick washers. I then notched the washers to allow them to slide into the steering shaft keyway. I then drilled and tapped the center of the steering shaft with a 3/8's tap, and it actually worked!!! Well so far, LOL! Also my dad was helping out my uncle yesterday. My uncle is a frequent bargain shopper, and flea market junkie, so I asked my dad to check with him to see if he had any front tractor tires. My dad called me later last night and said my uncle had some stuff, and he brought home a few things, but he wasn't sure if anything would work for me. Well my dad brought the stuff to work. He showed up with 2 decent white 6" wheels with almost bald tractor turf tires on them, also he had 2 brand new skinny tires that he felt would not mount and inflate on the wider 6" wheels. Well I went to work on it. I dismounted the worn tires, and mounted the skinnies. I then used a racthet strap and squished the tire to make the sidewalls bulge. I removed the valve core, gave it a direct shot of air, and bang, bang the beads popped and seated. I installed them also tonight. So currently I'm about 90% done with my setup. When I get back from vacation I plan to finalize everything, tear it down, and sandblast. Enjoy the pics, I'll keep in touch on vacation. I plan to do some tractor hunting while I'm away, but dont tell my wife!

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens mutt steering wheel repair.jpg
  • bolens mutt new frt tires 1.jpg
  • bolens mutt new frt tires 2.jpg
  • bolens mutt new frt tires 3.jpg
  • bolens mutt new frt tires 4.jpg
  • bolens mutt new frt tires.jpg

• Nato77 and MailmAn have said thanks

#24 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Looking good!!! Yeah, those front wheels look much better on there than the hand-dolly wheels you had before... Those were just a bit too comically undersized for this tractor! Looks good with these front wheels on it!

#25 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,637 Thanks
  • 1,329 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:17 PM

That thing is looking pretty sweet! Wondering if your going to have some "THE MUTT" decals made for it? I think that would be a nice little touch for your project. Keep up the good work :thumbs:

#26 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:20 AM

I'm glad you got the steering wheel assy figured out. You will end up with a pretty unique machine. I built a 'mutt' this past year too. Those projects are a lot of fun.

#27 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:25 AM

That thing is looking pretty sweet! Wondering if your going to have some "THE MUTT" decals made for it? I think that would be a nice little touch for your project. Keep up the good work :thumbs:

Haa, Haaa, When I named it "the mutt" project all I could think about is the shaggin wagon from dum and dumber! Maybe I should cover it in shag carpet, and hang big floppy ears from the sides of the hood!! LOL! Ok, now on a serious note, Im not sure what im gonna do when I repaint. I was thinking of stock repaint so if I really wanted to, I could make the tractor factory looking again by swapping a few things, Or I may do something to spice it up. I haven't really decided yet.

Looking good!!! Yeah, those front wheels look much better on there than the hand-dolly wheels you had before... Those were just a bit too comically undersized for this tractor! Looks good with these front wheels on it!

Yea, I agree! The hand dolly wheels had to go!! Way too small, and looked goofy. But I left them on until now because they would hold air(unlike the stock ones)so I could move the tractor around.Thanks everyone for the replies! Your keeping me motivated. Now for some vacation R&R time in the thousand islands, and when I return, I should be refreshed and ready to get back to work. Like I said above, I will post up some pics from the trip. My wife's grandparents live up there and her grandpa also loves tractors. He has restored a farmall Cub, a 8n, and he uses a large cub gt to mow his lawn. He also knows the local gt junkman in the area. This guy has 100's of tractors laying on his property. Im hoping to go there and check things out but her grandfather has warned me that its almost impossible to get him to part with anything. DARN GT HORDERS!!

#28 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 08:57 AM

Well I'm back!! Its been a week up in clayton new york and it was beautiful!! We got up to my wife's grandparents place last friday @ 7pm. We quickly learned that it was the antique boat museums anual reggata and boat race! So unfortunetly I was "forced" to watch and listen to some awesome boats race around the st. lawrence river right out in front of there house. The wife and I had a great time relaxing, riding her grandfathers boat, walking our dogs all over, and spending time with her grandparents. I snapped a few pics of some things her grandfather built and restored. Most recently he restored his ford 8n tractor, front loader, and box scraper, and custom built dump cart he made in the early 70's . 2 years ago he restored the welder and trailer he built in the 70's. Lastly About 6 years ago he restored the farmall cub and mower deck. I was hoping to make a trip over to a good friend of her grandfathers that has the local tractor repair shop/junk yard. Last time I was there he had a few bolens in the weeds, but didn't care to sell them. I was gonna go bug him, but my wife's grandfather explained that the guys wife was very sick with cancer, and he rather not go bother them. So I told her grandfather that if he ever wants to part with his bolens tractors, I WANT THEM!! So Hopefully I can continue on my project sometime this weekend, but for now, even know there not bolens, enjoy the pics!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 8n.jpg
  • cart.jpg
  • farmall a.jpg
  • welder.jpg

• KennyP and MailmAn have said thanks

#29 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Just curious, but why are some pics a lot bigger and better quality and some are tiny and all pixelated? Did you take them all with the same camera?

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Glad you had a great vacation. Sounds like a nice place to visit. I was wondering about the pics, also.