#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 07:27 AM

Well everyone,
I'm not sure how this is going to go, or how long this thread is gonna take, or how often I will be updating this, so I was kinda hesitant to starting a build thread, But I have not done one before, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm calling this project "The Mutt" Kinda like a mutt/mixed breed dog because this tractor will be made up of parts and pieces from 3 or 4 different bolens tube frames. Currently it appears that it is a mix between a 1050 and a 600 or 800 machine, Im gonna add some g14 flavor, with a dash of barrel of bolens seasoning!LOL!
Well heres what I got started so far. I bought the tractor locally for $50. The owner said the flywheel cracked, so he began searching ebay for a flywheel and it took forever. So The tractor sat under a tarp for years, He finally found a flywheel, but then imstead of installing it, he just tossed it with the tractor and left it outside(worried me, thought the motor was blown and the p.o. was lying). Well His wife wanted it gone, so I responded to her wishes and took it away.
Fearing that the motor was bad I began trying to make a motor my father had laying around in a 55 gal. drum run. I worked for hours trying to get spark out of it, and got nothing. So after consulting my dad, he suggested I just try to make the motor that was in the tractor run. So I cleaned up the crank, coil, and flywheel magnents(rusty from being outside) installed everything and tried to fire the motor. "The Mutt" was born at 10:02 pm wednesday night, and ran very well to be honest. So I called it a night and decided I would test a few other items before tearing it down thursday after work.
Well I got home thursday night, and my wife and Mom had already made plans for me for the evening. So I quickly ran out to the garage, refired the motor, and tested the clutch and all the gears. It appears all is good to go for tear down.
So I started a theme also. I'm going to make the machine in the style of a pulling gt/hot rod. I have located some 12x10 wheels for the rear, wide aggressive rear tires, and small skinny tires and wheels for the front. I should have them next week. I have also set up some free sandblasting priveleges with my brother inlaw at his fab. shop. Now I just have to figure out what im doing for paint and decals!
So this is my long rambling break down of what I plan on doing, hopefully it all works out, and It doesn't take forever, but bear with me! Here is what Im starting with. Hope to start tearing down Sunday.
Enjoy everyone!!
**EDIT** computer is being cranky and will not let me load pics, I will add them sometime today***
  • KennyP, JDBrian and MailmAn have said thanks

#2 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Here we go, pics!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens mutt muff. side.jpg
  • bolens mutt fenders.jpg
  • bolens mutt rear.jpg
  • barrel motor.jpg
  • barrel of bolens.jpg
  • bolens mutt spares.jpg
  • bolens mutt starter side.jpg

#3 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Looks and sounds like you have a good start! Good luck with it and be sure to keep us updated on your progress!
  • fonz3482 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to your build.
  • fonz3482 said thank you

#5 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 186 Thanks
  • 416 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 11:55 AM

Very cool. Looking forward to the updates!

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 12:44 PM

If you're gonna make a hot rod out of it, I think you should do it up something like this:

Of course, your choice of engine is up to you... Small block V8? :rolleyes:

#7 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 01:22 PM

how about one of those mini v8 blown nitro motors lots a pep and little weight :smilewink:

#8 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:13 PM

If you're gonna make a hot rod out of it, I think you should do it up something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjk9RCzg9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjk9RCzg9Y

why not a big block 427 or a 454 GO BIG or go home

#9 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Now, now, Although that would be cool, Im not going that crazy!

#10 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 07:37 PM

All I have for a update is a purchase of 12x8 wheels, with 26x12x12 ITP atv tires. I also got a set small wheels and tires that probably wont be installed on the front, but my buddy said to just take them. I paid $100 for everything. The tires are like new, and still have the little mold dimples on them. The wheels are free of rust and straight. Cant wait to put them on. Im hoping to do it tomorrow morning. I was gonna just tear down the whole tractor, but I think I should test fit everything before, so I dont got to fab., or change things after everything is painted. Enjoy the pics!

Attached Thumbnails

• mutt tires.jpg
  • mutt tire 2.jpg
  • mutt tire 3.jpg

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 07:52 PM

So far you appear to be off to a great start. Have fun with it.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Got some aggressive tires there. The little ones look like dolly tires.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to your build.

Same here,I can't wait to see this one.

#14 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Here is a quick update. I managed to sneak a few hours of work in this morning. As seen in the pics, the previous owner loved to hack things up. His seat brackets where "real nice" and a had fun removing all the rusty bent nails used for cotter pins. After I got passed that I started to mess with the original seat pan, steering wheel, and tires. The steering wheel will not come off!!! So Im gonna have to figure that out, but everything else went good. Im not sure about the front tires. They look way too small, so I may change them, but the tractor looks nasty! Enjoy everyone. Almost time for tear down!

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens mutt 1.jpg
  • bolens mutt2.jpg
  • bolens mutt3.jpg
  • bolens mutt4.jpg

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Looks like a great start! You've got some nice looking shoes there, too.

IDK why everyone gives home made cotter pins a hard time... the nut is still there, isn't it? :)
Growing up on a farm, sometimes you just gotta make do with what you have, and hope someday you have both the spare time & the right part later... usually never happens and you end up selling the machine with "Modifications" still on it... big part of why our hobby is so interesting sometimes... IMHO