• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:44 PM

This is the bolens I posted about a couple weeks ago. It had gotten hot to the point of stalling out. The ladys husband passed away and it sat in her garage for 3 years with out trying to start. The best mechanic in her area came over and looked at it and it took him over 2 hours to get it started at 75 dollars an hour. She told me it was forsale and that the mechanic said it was worth 1000 dollars. I just glanced at it until she gave me the price so I went with the cash in my pocket and dug a little deeper. I checked all the fluids and then talked money with her. They were all were they were suposed to be. I tried to go for 750 then she said well 1000 includes the woods rm59 finish mower on the back and besides that your not paying me for it until youve heard it run. She went into her house and said Ill see you at noon. It was around 9 am. I pulled the new battery out that I had brought with me hooked it up then pulled the hot wire off the glowplugs touched a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery and to the glow plugs waited 30 seconds and turned it over. It rolled aproximatly 2 revolutions and sat there idling. I then backed it out of her garage and drove it onto my trailer. By then she was out of the house with her jaw on the ground. I handed her the 1000 dollars and she handed me the service manual. This was a SWEET deal. It overheated because th grille screen was plugged off with grass and a combo of it being worked to death with the 5 foot mower. But I think I did pretty well. Come to find out that mechanic wanted to buy this tractor But she had already promised it to me when she asked him what it was worth. It did hurt it a little when it got hot. The headgasket was leaking coolant externally. It also needs a muffler but will fire right up every time. Which brings me to my question. Were do I find parts for this. I just missed out on a complete tractor that spun a bearing. I have repaired the muffler but it still has alot of holes. I love this thing so far. I put stop leak in it and it stopped the head gasket from seeping but I want to fix it right. Also are the engine parts available thru napa if I give them the mitsubishi model number. I just thought I would tell the whole story. She seemed pretty happy with her price even though she felt cheated.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2969.JPG

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Send me a pm so i remember and i will send you a number to a guy i know that deals in the iseki he should have anything you need for it.

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:18 AM

What year is this tractor? It does look in nice shape (from what I can tell in the blurry photo). Besides the engine problems and dead battery, hopefully you can get it working for you nicely. What would something like this normally go for if $1,000 was a really good deal on it and/or she felt cheated for only getting that much for it? $2,000-$2,500 easily for something like this? More?

#4 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 10:58 AM

She found a few in good running condition for between 1800 and 4800 dollars. I feel 4800 dollars is very high for one of these but I am very pleased with this deal. I was told even if I parted it out the loader should bring 1500 to 2500 on ebay but I havent found anything to compare it to really. It is a 1978. I thought it was a g154 because it had the 2cylinder motor but in 78 and 79 the 174 had a 2cylinder mistubishi. The newer ones the decals are green. This one there red. They also had a 3 cylinder in 1980 I beleive.Thats how I figured out it was a 78 for sure. She told me it was a 79. They bought it brand new in 1979. I have seen the woods rm59 finish mowers which this has on it listed for between 6 to 800 dollars on cl. So maybe 500 for the mower. I retorqued the head on it and added the stopleak in the radiator for now and the coolant leak has been solved till I locate and redo the head gasket. I have also been able to mow with it for 5 hours in 90 plus degree weather with no overheating issue. I have also cut her yard twice for free now to kind of sweeten the deal. She pays me 125 dollars per cut and it takes about an hour. She is one of my customers and I figured this would make her feel a little better about it.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#5 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 11:01 AM

LOL and the photo is pretty bad. Thats what I get for trying out my wifes expensive camera. My 50 dollar one is a little more idiot proof

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have also cut her yard twice for free now to kind of sweeten the deal. She pays me 125 dollars per cut and it takes about an hour. She is one of my customers and I figured this would make her feel a little better about it.

Wow, $125 per mow and it only takes an hour? Where can I get that kind of lawn? The ones I'm doing take me like an hour and a half to 2 hours at least and I'm only getting like $35-$40 per mow! Of course, larger yards do go a LOT faster with a 5' finish mower on a giant tractor like this one! I just finally bought my 850 since I was sick of taking 3-4 hours to mow a lawn with a push mower only to get $40 for it! Now I can do it in half the time... But I need to get better paying customers like you got there!!!

That was nice of you to mow her lawn for free with her own tractor that you stole... er, I mean bought from her!!! :smilewink:

#7 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 12:03 PM

I have an exmark zeroturn with a 60inch deck and then a cubcadet tank with a 54 inch deck. We had these two tractors on it thats why it goes so fast. Its about 3 acres and its bagged. So I also had to dig a hole for my worker with the compact to mow her yard for free but it was still worth it. I bought him a couple of mcsliders double cheese burgers as well. It would have taken me around 2 hours with my johndeere 320. That was my main tractor for this until these zero turns gave themselves to me. A buddy moved out of state and gave me these and his accounts. I am guessing I will have to buy them from him eventually or cl them for him one of the 2 but for now it makes my work go FAST.