• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:34 PM

You MUST have it vented, either via a shop vac, or a hose to discharge the dust outside in open air. If using a shop vac, be warned that they don't last long. The fine abrasives do get past the filter & eat the motors up. I went through 2 shop vacs before building my water trap. NO problems for a few years now. PLUS, if using a shop vac without a water trap ahead of it, try to set the vac so it can blow out the door just to be sure the dust particles that do get through don't get inhaled by YOU! Oh, and if more than one vent hole, shut the one off that doesn't have the vac attached.

So, if I hook a hose to it and put it outside that will be enough? I don't want to ruin the shop-vac! How hard is it to set up one of these water traps?

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:41 PM

That would do ok as far as keeping dust away from you, BUT you will lose some blasting media that way, plus your cabinet will fill so bad with dust that it will be hard to see anything. You really need a fan system of some kind.

The thread of my dust trap system is HERE
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hmmm, I will have to see what I can get rigged up with a fan, a water trap seems like it would be more effort to set up then worth with this little cabinet? I am not worried about loosing some media if I am only using sand for right now.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:51 PM

If you notice ANY dust around you while using sand, PLEASE at least use a good cotton mask! ....even with media other than sand for that matter
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:55 PM

If you notice ANY dust around you while using sand, PLEASE at least use a good cotton mask! ....even with media other than sand for that matter

Thanks for the help Daniel! I will use a mask with it regardless.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:57 PM

You can use a squirrel cage fan if it has the motor external of the blower housing. If the fan has too much suction, you can always have a vent in the line to reduce it.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#22 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 04:54 AM

Ryan,congrats on your new sandblast cabinet. :thumbs:
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#23 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hey Ryan, just curious. Why did you pull the quick disconnect off and put a nipple fitting on?
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hey Ryan, just curious. Why did you pull the quick disconnect off and put a nipple fitting on?

Because, my compressors have 1/2 couplers on the hoses. The hole in the cabinet is only big enough for a 3/8 hose to fit through. A big coupler will not fit through the hole. And, since I need a regulator on this I did not want to have a bunch of stuff to hook up everytime I wanted to use this. I could have just used a quick connect but since that part of the plumbing with stay hooked up when not in use I wanted to get rid of any un-needed hardware. Once I get everything all hooked up I will take pics of all the plumbing and it will make more sense.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#25 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm looking forward to the pic's.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:50 PM

I got wood today, and built myself a little stand! I got all the wood cut at Home Depot and that made it much easier, it went together very fast! The stand is very strong and has no movement.
Posted Image

It came with two extra protective sheets for the window, I taped them to the back of the cabinet for safe keeping.
Posted Image

To mount the regulator I went with a simple solution. I cut an allen key at the bend, drilled a hole in the stand and hammered the allen key into the hole. Then, the regulator sits on top of the key and the key goes into the plug for the extra hole in the regulator. The allen key goes into the plug pretty far and actually holds it very sturdy! The regulator lifts right off to hook the hose to it, then stick it back on there and blast away!
Posted Image

Now, to explain the plumbing better! The air supply hooks to the front of the regulator, and the hose on the back is connected with a barb fitting and some clamps.
Posted Image

The hose that comes out of the back of the regulator goes around to the back of the cabinet and inside.
Posted Image

The hose goes inside and hooks to a barb fitting on the gun. So, all you have to do is hook the air hose to the front of the regulator and it is ready to go!
Posted Image

I have not used it, although it is ready to go once I put sand in it. I don't want to put sand in it until I get it into it's "spot" because I don't want to move it with all the sand in it.

I have less then $140 into it so far for everything, the cabinet, the wood, the box of nails, sand, and some small hardware.

I am going to cut a piece of plywood to fit on top of the pieces between the legs for an extra self.

Edited by Ryan313, August 11, 2012 - 06:51 PM.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#27 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Are you sure you are only 16? That looks like a very professional job and well thought out. Looks like you are ready to go. Thanks for Sharing with us.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:45 AM

That looks like a very nice set up you have there, Ryan. Well thought out on the stand and regulator. Have fun with it!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#29 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 12:56 PM

I put the cabinet in it's new spot! I tried it out and it worked great! I did not do much as I didn't have a lot of time.
Posted Image

I did the grease caps and the hitch for my Economy trailer. I painted them both already but they got all cracked and messed up. I wanted to repaint them, so I tried them first. I set the regulator at 85 psi first, then I went up to 95 psi and it was much better.
Posted Image

I just stuck a hose on the vent and put it outside, I did not want to ruin the shop-vac so I did not hook it up. There was some stuff coming out of it so it was venting some of the dust at least.

The lighting was not as bad as I thought it would be, but it will definitely be getting some good lighting very soon! Worse then the lighting was that my reflection was in the window and that made it harder to see through.

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 01:07 PM

The easiest is just to buy a strip fluorescent with a cover to put in the top rear, similar to what goes above a kitchen or bathroom sink.

Posted Image
  • Ryan313 said thank you