• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Matt posted about the blasting cabinet he got from harbor freight, and said that it was on sale for $120, normally $160. He also used a 20% off coupon and got $24 off! He had good things to say about it so I had my brother stop at HF on his way home from work and get one.

My brother got home from work not to long ago. He told me it was in his car and he would help me get it out in a few minutes. Well, I didn't want to wait. LOL! So, I went and got it myself. When he saw me walking with it on my shoulder, he said the people at HF must be very uncoordinated, it took 3 of them to get it in the car! LOL!

It is much bigger then I thought it would be, though it is still not huge. It is plenty big enough for me... for now.

I looked on the HF website and read the reviews, they all said that it leaked at the seams and had to be caulked. I looked, and mine is already caulked on the underside!

I did not use it yet. I need to set up some plumbing on it first. Both of my big compressors have 1/2 inch couplers, one has a 1/2 hose and the other has a 3/8 hose. This is set up to be used with a 3/8 hose and 3/8 coupler. The hole in the cabinet is only big enough to fit a little hose with a little coupler so I will have to make a lead with a small hose that will hook into the big hose. Also, this says it is to be used UP TO 100psi, and no more. Both of my compressors go up to 190psi so I will have to hook up a regulator. I looked and I have one that will work. I don't think I will have the common problem of waiting for the compressor with these big compressors! LOL!

I don't have a big shop like a lot of you, I have a small one car garage that I do all of my work out of. I want to make a wooden stand for this. Problem is, I don't have a good spot for it. I plan to sell one of the things in the garage, once I get it running. I found the parts I need to get it running and just have to order them. Then, I can sell it.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Could a MOD change the name of this thread to "My New Sandblasting Cabinet." Thanks, other then the exclamation point the title is the same as Matt's thread and it will most likely cause some confusion if they are that similar.

#3 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thats awesome Ryan! I'm loving mine, and even with some of its issues, it beats the heck out of wire brushing your parts, or using a regular sandblaster, and making a mess it would take a week to get cleaned up! Congrats! :thumbs:

Matt
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Could a MOD change the name of this thread to "My New Sandblasting Cabinet." Thanks, other then the exclamation point the title is the same as Matt's thread and it will most likely cause some confusion if they are that similar.

DONE!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 06:14 PM

...or using a regular sandblaster, and making a mess it would take a week to get cleaned up!

It takes a lot longer than that to get it cleaned up! About 10 years ago I used a room in my barn for sand blasting. There is still sand in some of the nooks and crannies LOL!
  • Ryan313 and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:55 PM

It takes a lot longer than that to get it cleaned up! About 10 years ago I used a room in my barn for sand blasting. There is still sand in some of the nooks and crannies LOL!

I know what you mean! I still have sand in, and around my shop from a project 5 or 6 months ago! :bigrofl:

Matt
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 11:05 AM

Ryan it sounds like you have the start to a class A shop. Let us know how it works out for ya.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 01:19 PM

Ryan, glad you like it. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the comments! If I ever sandblast outside of a cabinet I do not plan on doing it inside! And with a portable compressor I see no reason why I would have to.

I started to plumb some of it today.

Here is the gun, it had a 3/8 coupler on it. (the media supply hose was not on all the way on here, I got it on all the way and put a clamp on it)
Posted Image

I took the quick connect off and put on a nipple.
Posted Image

Then, I put the hose in the cabinet and clamped it on.
Posted Image

I got the regulator hooked up as much as I could. I need another nipple to attach the hose. I put a 1/2 inch coupler on the regulator and that is where I am going to hook the air supply to. I need to make the stand and find a spot for the regulator before I can cut the hose to size. Most people would have left the hose off until the stand was made so they wouldn't have the extra hose length in the way. I will have to unhook the hose from the gun so it is not in the way when I make the stand.
Posted Image

When I was looking for a coupler to put on the regulator, I found this! Another gun! The only difference is that the tip is metal not ceramic. The tips come out so that is not really a difference anyway.

Posted Image

Edited by Ryan313, August 10, 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Looks like it is coming along just fine.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 06:45 PM

I got another barb fitting and some sand. Now all I have to do it make a stand for it, although I could use it now.

What kind of sand is best to use? I just got normal sand.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:11 PM

Plain sand is dangerous to the lungs....silica poisoning, and it's nasty & never goes away! Best to use true blasting media. I love aluminum oxide, but it's pricey at $50 per 25lb. So right now I'm using "Black Diamond. Just $9 for a 50lb bag. Not as fast cutting nor as long lasting as Aluminum Oxide, but gentler on thin metals.
Now how are you venting this cabinet? That is very important! What air that goes into the cabinet has to displace an equal amount!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Blasting Media
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Plain sand is dangerous to the lungs....silica poisoning, and it's nasty & never goes away! Best to use true blasting media. I love aluminum oxide, but it's pricey at $50 per 25lb. So right now I'm using "Black Diamond. Just $9 for a 50lb bag. Not as fast cutting nor as long lasting as Aluminum Oxide, but gentler on thin metals.
Now how are you venting this cabinet? That is very important! What air that goes into the cabinet has to displace an equal amount!

Thanks for the info! What about play sand? I thought that it would be to fine and not work very well. I did not think about it until I was at the store so I didn't have time to ask. It has a hole for a shop-vac to go into to suck out the dust, and a bigger hole for displacement. Can I just close off those holes? I kinda think that would be bad, just want to be sure!

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:27 PM

You MUST have it vented, either via a shop vac, or a hose to discharge the dust outside in open air. If using a shop vac, be warned that they don't last long. The fine abrasives do get past the filter & eat the motors up. I went through 2 shop vacs before building my water trap. NO problems for a few years now. PLUS, if using a shop vac without a water trap ahead of it, try to set the vac so it can blow out the door just to be sure the dust particles that do get through don't get inhaled by YOU! Oh, and if more than one vent hole, shut the one off that doesn't have the vac attached.
  • Ryan313 said thank you