LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 07:26 AM

I have a '70 Wheel Horse Electro12 w/ breakerless ignition. This summer it developed a problem. It would run for awhile and then suddenly just stop running. I would have to push it back to the garage.

I felt that it was electronic. I tested the flywheel sensor and replaced the Ignition switch. I was unable to find a breakerless coil. Thinking the switch was the cure I took it out to mow, no good. Then I switched out the ignition system for breaker points, same thing. However, I found that by nursing the choke I could get it to sort of keep running. I cleaned the carb, checked the fuel pump for flow, nada. Then, I put a different carb on it; nope! I'm going to try a different fuel pump to be sure. But this is getting puzzling.

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,612 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like your gas cap is not vented. As the gas level in the tank lowers it is creating a vacuum and not allowing gas to flow to the carb. Try it again and when the engine stalls remove the gas cap and see if it starts.

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 09, 2012 - 09:00 AM

You could have a small piece of hose caught in the fuel pump. Fuel line deteriorates with age and flakes off.. Also you coud bypass the fuel pump and try it.

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 10:29 AM

You could have a small piece of hose caught in the fuel pump. Fuel line deteriorates with age and flakes off.. Also you coud bypass the fuel pump and try it.

Very possible, friends at a small engine shop told me about 75% of work they do on home owners equipment is fuel related, old gas, clogged filters/caps, dirty carb's , bad fuel lines (rotting from the inside out)

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 04:25 PM

The gas cap is fine, tried that. The hose was my next idea. I was going to ask, if I bypassed everything with a piece of new hose from the tank to the carb, would gravity feed be okay? I have a couple of extra fuel pumps if it comes to that.

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 09, 2012 - 05:59 PM

The gas cap is fine, tried that. The hose was my next idea. I was going to ask, if I bypassed everything with a piece of new hose from the tank to the carb, would gravity feed be okay? I have a couple of extra fuel pumps if it comes to that.

Most of the time gravity feed will be all right. On steeper slopes/inclines you may see a problem.

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Looking back, I see that I never finished this thread. FYI, I replaced all of the fuel line and filter. Now it runs fine. Apparently, the line would allow enough fuel to flow and fill the fuel pump and float bowl, but not enough to keep running. When I blew back through the line it would allow air to pass. Maybe I should just replace the line with new periodically.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the update.Glad you got it running good.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 06:48 PM

"Very possible, friends at a small engine shop told me about 75% of work they do on home owners equipment is fuel related, old gas, clogged filters/caps, dirty carb's , bad fuel lines (rotting from the inside out) "

This is the result of ethanol. We must use STABIL or SEAFOAM, or some other fuel stabilizer to help counter-act the lousy fuel we buy!